Loud meow is the hallmark of the representative of the cat family. The ability to make special sounds may suddenly disappear from the pet completely, he can hoarse. The reasons why the cat lost his voice may be different. Animal owners should be aware of them in order to provide the necessary help to a four-legged friend.
What is the cat meowing for?
A cat's voice functions have a meaningful role for its life. With the help of sounds, an animal can tell its owner about desires, fear, grief, danger, the appearance of pain in the body. The intonation of a cat, the power of sounds, movement, accompanying its “speech” activity for a person living with a pet for more than one year are understandable. Cat uses voice to achieve goals:
- asks for food, water,
- invites the owner to let her out on the street or let her back in,
- wishes affection,
- reports that something hurts her
- signals that she is ready to continue the race
- warns that she is angry or scared.
Sometimes the usual communication between humans and animals becomes impossible - the cat's voice disappears. Such a phenomenon may indicate the development of dangerous diseases and emergency situations, requires seeking veterinary care.
Colds, infections, viruses
A cat, like a person, is prone to colds, it can be attacked by numerous infections and viruses. The main mode of transmission of such ailments is airborne, often a disease in an animal arises due to its long stay in adverse weather conditions, from hypothermia or exposure to drafts.
The cat can not fully meow if he has signs of disease:
- Otitis or ear inflammation - the development of a pathological process in an animal’s ear is accompanied by severe pain, it can affect the larynx, where the animal’s speech apparatus is located, which makes it difficult for them to reproduce sounds,
- Sore throat, with the disease, there are characteristic signs - the animal began to disappear voice, if you open his mouth and examine it, swelling and inflammation of the mucous membranes, the presence of a sufficient amount of mucus, overlying the vocal cords,
- Rhinotracheitis, signs allow it to be suspected - discharge from the eyes and nose, first serous, then mucous, purulent, the cause of its development is infection with the herpesvirus of type 1 cats,
- Calicivirosis is a viral pathology in which ulcers of a watery structure appear on the larynx and the tongue of the pet, the process is accompanied by severe pain, the animal loses its ability to swallow food, produce sounds.
A cat becomes sluggish, it can openly fall silently, refuse to eat for several days, its nose can become dry - such symptoms cause an urgent visit to a veterinarian, an animal examination, and prescription of drugs.
Overlap of the pharynx with a foreign object
Jamming in the cat's throat of an object, a piece of food, a sharp bone is a common reason why she lost her voice or developed hoarseness. The situation is complicated by the fact that the animal is not only incapable of freeing itself from the foreign body, its fear, desperate, instinctive attempts to remove the object with the help of coughing or the urge to vomit lead to severe injury to the tissues of the respiratory organs, larynx, esophagus. The presence of such injuries contribute to the development of inflammatory processes, which can lead to a prolonged absence of voice.
The owner can help the pet - after reliable fixation of the animal with tweezers, you can try to remove the object from the throat. Master movements should be as careful as possible. If there is no confidence in the security of independent manipulations, it is required to consult a specialist. In order to prevent the development of a dangerous situation, it is necessary to check the cat's diet, to prevent the presence of bones in the food, larger pieces, not to leave small household items in the free access for the animal.
Lack of water
The cause of the condition when the cat has a hoarse voice may be an insufficient amount of water that the animal uses to drink every day. Dehydration of an animal can be symptoms:
- strong weakness
- lost the ability to fully produce sounds,
- total inability to move.
The owner, so that the cat does not lose his voice for this reason, it is necessary to ensure that he always has fresh, clean water in his bowl. Many animals have an interesting feature - they refuse to drink from their cat food. Large buckets, pans are selected by them as the best option. The development of events according to such a scenario obliges the owners of the pet to regularly update the water in such tanks, to provide easy access to them.
An extremely dangerous disease - rabies, which pets suffer, can be a major factor in which the cat lost his voice. Suspecting a deadly infectious disease will help assessment of the characteristics of the physical condition and behavior of the pet, which is characterized:
- the appearance of aggressiveness, inadequacy,
- refusal to eat, drink,
- movements become noticeably slowed down, lethargic,
- can't swallow food, water,
- develop muscle cramps, then paralysis.
Even cats that are kept exclusively at home can become sick with rabies, so all animals, without exception, need regular vaccination. At the first suspicion of the disease, it is necessary to immediately report the symptoms to the veterinary service.
Answers to the question “why the cat's voice is lost” may be different. This condition of the animal may be due to various prerequisites.:
- poisoning of the components used for the disinsection of premises, household chemicals, building and finishing materials,
- long stay in the "smoked" room.
The loss of ability to make sounds in such cases is accompanied by signs of intoxication of the body. The animal has:
First aid to a pet in such situations - the speedy access to a large amount of fresh air, enhanced drinking.
The cat may lose voice after surgery with the use of anesthesia. This condition is due to the extreme weakness of the animal.
Why did it happen so?
What if your cat or dog has lost voice? Unfortunately, you will not find an unequivocal answer to this question, first of all you need to figure out why this happened. There are a number of factors and even serious diseases that can provoke the appearance of such an unpleasant symptom for your pet. After all, for him the lack of voice is a real shock with which he needs to help cope.
- The most common cause of the disappearance of the voice in an animal is damage to the larynx, esophagus or upper respiratory tract by any foreign objects. Nothing surprising, because animals, like children, all taste and can easily harm themselves with a sharp bone from fish or chicken, a knot from a wooden stick, a piece of wire, or even a spare part from a toy.
- Sometimes an animal loses its voice due to lack of water. Remember that your pet should always have free access to a container with clean and fresh water.
- Sometimes the disappearance of the voice in an animal is one of the symptoms of the disease. For example, otitis media, which is usually accompanied by inflammation of the ear.
- A common cold or more serious viral illness can also cause voice loss. Naturally, in this case, the sick animal should show other symptoms of the disease: for example, drowsiness, weakness, cough, fever, and so on. Typically, colds, like people, are accompanied by swelling of the larynx, where mucus accumulates and makes it difficult for an animal to make sounds.
- Sometimes pets lose their voices if they are in a room with strong odors for a long time, such as the smell of cigarettes, solvents, paints or varnishes.
- Sometimes it is difficult for an animal to make any sounds if it is weakened by the action of anesthesia.
In addition to the above reasons, the lack of voice can be triggered by other, even more serious diseases, which can be treated on your own - in no case, if you value the health of your pet. An experienced veterinarian will be able to establish the true cause of the problem, as well as prescribe the appropriate treatment.
How to treat an animal?
As we have said, self-treatment of such a problem is not always the best option. Watch your pet, if you notice any additional symptoms or see that there is no improvement in a few days, then you should contact the veterinary clinic. And yet, before such drastic measures, you can do something.
- Ventilate the room often, monitor the presence and purity of water in your pet's bowl.
- With airing, do not get carried away too much, who knows, maybe it was drafts that caused the disease, carefully examine the animal for other symptoms.
- Try to examine the larynx of the animal, if you find any mechanical damage and inflammation, then, in order not to injure the tissue any more, try to fix it in a comfortable position and show it to the veterinarian.
- Sometimes, in the case of swelling of the throat, antihistamines, for example, Suprastin, Claritin, help. Naturally, you need to use them depending on the weight of your pet.
- If this is a cold, then first of all, it is necessary to treat her, just so you can return the voice to your pet.
Why the cat lost the voice: possible causes
There are a lot of reasons, ranging from the most innocent, to serious diseases, even mechanical damage to the larynx due to ingestion of a foreign object is possible. However, any symptoms that have arisen have their consequences, so it is important to quickly find out what prevents the cat from leading a normal life further. Read more about the possible factors that may lead to the loss of voice from the pet. Additionally, you will learn not only how to eliminate them, but also about possible methods of preventing problems with the larynx in the cat.
- If you abuse smoking directly in the room where the cat resides, then this also affects the pet's voice. Due to the negative effects of smoke on the vocal cords, the larynx dries out, the risk of parallel infectious or viral diseases increases.
- A domestic cat who has undergone a complex operation and is moving away from anesthesia will not give a voice for a long time due to the fact that the body is very weak.
Angina, otitis media and other infectious diseases
Among the main reasons for the appearance of dumbness in a pet are various infectious or viral diseases. A cat can get sick, like a person, because viruses are transmitted by airborne droplets. Another point - the disease as a result of a cold, hypothermia on the street, etc. Read more about common infectious diseases in cats:
- If you have constant drafts at home, especially in the cold period of time, then your pet will probably have otitis. During such a disease, the ear can become inflamed so much that you will notice how the cat lost her voice. Contact a doctor in time, if you notice something wrong, immediately proceed to treatment.
- Another disease that leads to loss of a cat's voice is rhinotracheitis. This is a type of virus that affects the respiratory system. If the time to take up treatment, then in the near future the cat will quickly recover, and the voice will return.
- Laryngitis (sore throat) is another disease during which inflammation of the entire mucous membrane in the mouth occurs. The larynx swells, mucus accumulates in the vocal cords, the cat loses its ability to give voice. This disease is a complication of influenza or any other harmless cold.
- The next factor that leads to the loss of a cat's voice is a disease such as calicivirosis. This is a dangerous viral disease that affects the larynx with painful ulcers. Silence of the cat in this case is an inevitable phenomenon.
Foreign object in the throat
The most common cause of voice loss in a cat is mechanical damage to the pharynx by a foreign object. It can be a normal bone, a sprig or even a needle. During an injury with a similar foreign object, there is a possibility that not only the larynx will suffer, but also the upper respiratory tract, the esophagus. It is very important to monitor what lies on your floor and what the cat plays with. These are very painful sensations that can lead not only to dumbness, but also to other irreversible processes.
Dehydration as the cause of dry mouth
Make sure that the cat always has free access to drink. Let there be a permanently open bathroom, if you are not at home for a long period, all the time a bowl filled with clean water. A pet should not feel thirsty, because his body is more likely to dehydrate than a human. As a result, the cat dries in the mouth, the ability to not only meow, but also to move freely, is lost, the animal feels very weak.
Poisonous poisoning in pairs - if the cat wheezes and becomes sick
If your cat lives at home, be careful with the methods of disinfection, elimination of various insects and other pests. A pet through food that he eats from the floor can get poison in the body, which would entail not just a loss of the ability to make sounds. A cat can get acute poisoning, which will be accompanied by wheezing, vomiting and possible death. It is also undesirable to walk in polluted places.
The same applies to toxic fumes of paints and varnishes that you can use indoors. Even ordinary hairspray, a pair of which accidentally gets a cat in the respiratory tract, can lead to poisoning, the pet will begin to cough. In such cases, it is better to immediately transport the pet to the vet clinic, where he will be provided with qualified assistance. But while you get there, try to water the cat with plenty of water.
Such a dangerous disease, like rabies, can also lead to the loss of a cat's voice. This viral disease is dangerous not only for the animal, but also for the owner of the cat, because it affects the nervous system. A person should remember that a pet could get sick long before the first symptoms of rabies appeared. This is fraught with infection and the owner himself (through saliva, for example), and his children.
You must be very careful about the condition of your pet and be responsible for your health too. This is an extremely serious event during which it is important to mobilize all your strength and exclude any contact with the animal. Carefully read further on the signs of rabies in order to avoid irreversible consequences in time.
- The animal becomes inadequate, aggressive.
- The cat behaves sluggishly, all movements become inhibited.
- An animal can completely refuse from food for a long time (within several days), there is no appetite.
- At more advanced stages of the disease appear paralysis.
- The sudden death of a cat.
What to do if a cat's voice is gone: treatment options
If you notice that your pet is a little sluggish, does not show up on the eyes, eats badly, watch him more closely. Try to look at the cat, lightly touch the neck, you may be able to figure out why he does not give a vote. The right decision will be to contact the vet immediately. However, there are cases when access to such a doctor is limited (night or you live far from the nearest veterinary clinic), then you should give first aid to the cat and treat at home, and take it to the hospital the next morning.
Appeal to the vet
If you understand that you can not treat the animal at home, then immediately contact your veterinarian. An experienced specialist will immediately find out what exactly is happening with your cat, identify the reasons that caused this condition, prescribe the necessary treatment. Carefully listen to all the recommendations of the doctor to provide the correct necessary assistance to your pet at home after rehabilitation. How can a doctor help you when you address him with an animal problem:
- If there is mechanical damage to the larynx, the doctor will remove the foreign object and treat the affected tissue. At home you will need to provide the animal with adequate rest and care. You may have to treat the wounds with prescribed means - it all depends on the severity of the damage.
- В случае инфекционных или простудных заболеваний понадобится терапия, которая иногда может заключаться в уколах. Сами вы вряд ли сможете делать их коту, поэтому первое время придется регулярно посещать ветеринарную клинику для необходимых процедур.
- Возможно ветеринар пропишет просто какие-то таблетки, лечить которыми вы сможете кота и дома.
Осмотр и лечение в домашних условиях
At first, you can provide the first emergency aid to the cat yourself, noticing that something is wrong with the larynx. In various cases, this healing may be provided by the healing property, or it may just temporarily free the animal from its painful sensations. It all depends on the reasons that led to the loss of voice in a cat. In any case, do not be afraid to help a cat or cat while you are going to the veterinary clinic, take the following measures yourself:
- If a foreign body is ingested by an animal, do not attempt to remove it yourself, in order not to worsen the condition of the victim. Just try to take maximum measures to immobilize your head with your jaw while you are going to the vet clinic. So the cat will suffer less from pain.
- If you notice swelling in the cat's throat and redness, this is a clear sign of a sore throat. Until you deliver the animal to the vet, give him any antihistamine medication in a mini-dose (pediatric dosage).
- If the house is being repaired and the cat could get poisoned by fumes of paint and varnish products, bring the animal to fresh air. Give it a drink, better than milk, not water. Immediately take to the veterinary clinic, so that the pet's condition does not deteriorate. Do not forget to specify the cause of the poisoning, it will help the doctor orient.
Common Causes of Cat Loss of Voice
Night serenades of March singers until they are hoarse are not the only explanation for a pet's hoarse and quiet voice. All reasons can be divided into three groups:
1. Mechanical damage, the ingress of small items in the cat's throat.
Kittens suffer more often: when playing, they can swallow small, sharp objects. The owner entertains the pet with a toy tied to a string. The kitten, having caught up with a rustling foil bow, begins to chew it. A sharp piece of metallized paper falls into the throat and gets stuck. And how many interesting, but dangerous games occur without the control of a person!
Adult cats suffer from bone damage in poultry meat, fish (small elastic bones, scales in river fish). Curious animals explore new items, often taste pine needles, Christmas decorations. On New Year's holidays, veterinarians lined up due to injuries to the larynx and pharynx in cats. Hosts worried about the disappearance of pets' voices.
2. Chemical poisoning, dehydration.
Cats avoid objects with a sharp, pungent odor. Of course, no animal will try spilled gasoline or paint products. To poison cats, it is enough to inhale poisonous vapors. People often do not notice that the use of air freshener, nail polish remover effect on the cat is depressing. Repeated or prolonged inhalation of chemicals leads to poisoning. The cat wheezes, sneezes, refuses to eat, loses his voice.
Veterinarians give specific examples. The cat daily "saw off" the mistress in the mornings in the hallway. That, having made the final touch - fixed the hair-do with hairspray, ran off to work. This went on for several weeks.
Another call to the doctor: the cat had a loss of voice, nausea and wheezing. Having examined the animal, the veterinarian immediately determined the cause of the disease - smoking in the room, poor ventilation, low air humidity. About this "told" the smell of cigarette smoke from the fur and changes in the vocal cords of the cat.
Cats walking unattended can go to a landfill, a construction site where there is a lot of chemical waste. Do not ignore the pet's loss of voice if you do not know what happened. The danger for the animal is reality.
Flaccidity, lack of playfulness, unnatural hoarse sound - one of the signs of dehydration. Milk, kefir, broth, any food will not replace pure water. It should be in the cup all the time.
3. Infectious diseases.
Cats also have infectious diseases. They have a sore throat, otitis, cold and other infections that are transmitted through the air. Infection cannot touch the host. Some do not let their cats out into the street, so they are sure of their safety. This is not an option. Drafts, low temperature in the apartment, dampness, improper diet weaken the immune system and will not add health to cats.
How to diagnose a disease? Loss of voice states about the neglect of the disease. You missed the beginning: the cat sleeps a lot, he has a dry nose, watery eyes, poor appetite. Only a veterinarian will associate the absence of a voice with respiratory damage and rhinotracheitis. Either laryngitis became a cause of silent meowing, the mucous membranes of the throat became inflamed, laryngeal edema was observed, vocal cords clogged with mucus.
If you lightly treat the problems of pet voice loss, then you can not notice such a dangerous viral disease as calicivirosis. In the tongue, the larynx of the animal forms watery ulcers. They bring a lot of pain, discomfort to cats, it is difficult for them to swallow, meow, purr.
What else you need to know about the causes of loss of voice in cats
Well, if you know the cause of the disease. After surgery with anesthesia, you were warned of a possible silence until the animal was fully restored. It should protect the cat from hypothermia and follow all recommendations.
Well, if the silence of the pet is short and the voice is restored itself. But you should always be attentive to the attendant symptoms. Strange behavior, fear of familiar objects, people, drooling, changes in appearance, fear of bright light and water, refusal to eat speaks of a deadly disease - rabies in cats. No need to experiment, invent a treatment. Infection could have happened a long time ago, and all this time the family and the owner himself were endangered, were close to the perishing infected cat. Urgently consult a doctor.
How to help with the loss of voice in cats
For the treatment to be successful, you need to follow the algorithm:
1. Observe the animal, if you are worried about the symptoms, contact your veterinarian.
2. For obvious reasons, help the animal: in case of poisoning, try to give the cat water and take to the doctor. Take with you the possible sources of poisoning for the correct diagnosis (a leaf of a poisonous plant, spray can with varnish). With the rapid swelling of the larynx, give an antihistamine in a dose for a small child. In case of poisoning of vapors of paint and varnish products, give the animal milk.
3. When the air is dry, when smoking in the room, air more often, but do not allow drafts.
4. If a foreign body is found in the larynx, try to pull it out, but be aware, the doctor will do it better than you.
5. Infectious diseases, inflammation, which provoked a loss of voice, are treated with antibiotics.
6. Timely, annually vaccinate cats against rabies.
No matter how quickly you help your pet, remember that there are professionals who need to show the cat for further proper treatment.
- The animal may lose the ability to "speak", there is an explanation. As a rule, a huge amount of reasons. Finding out for sure what caused the loss of voice is difficult. Only an expert after the examination will say for sure.
- There are aspects that do not entail danger. But there are also certain causes that harm the animal. Among them are infectious and viral diseases. This list includes carnivorous plague, otitis, rhinitis, pharyngitis with laryngitis, as well as calcivirosis or rhinotracheitis.
- An animal may lose its voice due to a developing allergic reaction, a stuck foreign object, food poisoning or toxic fumes, being constantly in a room polluted by smoke or being infected by rabies.
- Fluffy pets are poisoned by food, as well as poisonous substances. If an animal stepped on something toxic, and then began to lick itself (including feet), the likelihood of poisoning is high. The man does not even suspect that some surfaces in the apartment are covered with toxins. This may be the remnants of perfume, household chemicals or cosmetics.
- Funds are also harmful for fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, cockroaches. Some disinfectants, such as bleach, will also cause harm. The owner should take special care, and also make sure that the animal is not in the wrong places.
- If a four-legged pet regularly visits the street, after walking it is necessary to wash its paws and preferably the lower abdomen. Also poisoning can cause volatile vapors from solvent, paint, lacquer for fixing hair or painting nails.
- A dangerous viral disease that causes death. It affects the cat's central nervous system, which leads to loss of voice and other hazards. The virus is transmitted to humans, so the owner needs to be alert. Animals are vaccinated against rabies. However, if the vaccine was not delivered, it is necessary to recognize the threat by the following symptoms.
- So the animal loses its ability to talk. Also observed non-standard behavior, combining aggression and affection. The cat may look apathetic, refuse to drink and eat. In severe cases, there is paralysis. Signs make themselves felt a couple of days after infection.
Foreign object in the mouth
- The most common cause leads to the fact that a furry friend loses the ability to meow and give other signs of voice. If the walls of the larynx were damaged, it could cause damage to the esophagus and upper respiratory tract.
- A fish bone, small children's toy, a needle from a Christmas tree, a branch serves as a foreign object. When damage to the mucous larynx develops an inflammatory process. This is extremely dangerous, so you need to take your pet to a specialist.
- It's no secret that any four-legged friend needs constant access to clean and fresh water. If for any reason the animal does not receive the required amount of fluid, its larynx begins to dry out. An individual should not be thirsty.
Why animals lose their voice
Dog silence is not always an alarm. Maybe the dog is just silent, because it was offended - and he has depression? If it lasts one day, then perhaps there is no cause for concern. But if for several days the owner notices the pet unsuccessful attempts of barking, wheezing, then this is a real shock for the animal itself.
The most common cause of a dog's loss of voice is damage to the esophagus, larynx, upper respiratory tract with foreign objects. Animals, like children, taste everything, so they can harm themselves with a sharp bone, knot, piece of wire. If a dog eats grass, then seeds and sharp spines can get stuck in the pharynx, which leads to tissue edema, and sometimes secondary infection, the formation of abscesses.
Sometimes dogs lose their voices from water deficit. This happens during dehydration. The dog should always have free access to clean water.
The disappearance of the voice of the dog can be a symptom of many diseases. Even in older dogs can develop tracheal cancer, pharynx. Polypoid formations also impede the normal functioning of the vocal cords.
Paralysis of the larynx in dogs can be congenital, which is characteristic of rottweilers, German shepherds, and acquired. St. Bernard, Labrador, Setter, Golden Retrievers are more prone to the latter. Hypothyroidism in animals leads to disruption of the laryngeal nerves. Autoimmune diseases - the cause of failures in the innervation of the vocal cords.
Even banal colds or viral illnesses can make your four-footed friend "dumb." However, in this case, the attentive host will always notice other signs of the disease, for example, cough, drowsiness, weakness, fever. In dogs, as in humans, colds are accompanied by laryngeal edema. There is accumulated mucus, making it difficult to barking and any attempt to give voice.
Severe penetrating or blunt throat injuries lead to swelling of the glottis. In this case, the dog remains voiceless for a long time.
In rare cases, the cause of dog dumbness is a long stay in a room with strong odors. It can be a smoked home, a house where repairs are being carried out and it smells of paints, varnish, and solvent.
It is unlikely that the owner will be able to determine the cause of the problem. Lack of voice can provoke many factors, the determination of which is the competence of the veterinarian. Therefore, do not delay to visit him.
How to help the dog with the loss of voice
So, self-medication according to the advice of neighbors and acquaintances is not the best solution to the problem. After all, you need to start with finding out the cause of pathology. Watch your dog. You may notice other signs of trouble that need to be reported to the veterinary specialist. Before a visit to the veterinary clinic and the appointment of a pet therapy course, you can do something yourself. For example, to ventilate the room more often, if the dog is in it, to monitor the cleanliness of the water in the animal’s water bowl, to change it more often.
Try yourself to examine the larynx of a dog or puppy. This should be done neatly, in a game form, without hurting the pet. Perhaps for this you need an assistant. But do not overdo it! If you manage to detect any inflammation, mechanical damage, in order to avoid further injury to the tissues of the pharynx, try to fix the dog in a comfortable position and show to the doctor.
Sometimes with edema of the throat help antihistamines, for example, Claritin, Tavegil, Suprastin. They should be given to the dog depending on its weight.
If the cause of the problem is a cold, then it is necessary to treat it, and the voice will gradually return to normal.
A bone stuck in the throat or polypoid formations can only be removed by a doctor.
If you find any problems with your voice (hoarseness in the voice or its disappearance), you should immediately investigate the causes of this and treatment. First you need to examine the room where the animal is located. Perhaps the usual ventilation, for example, after smoking. All chemicals that can be a source of toxic fumes should be removed.