Modern housewives seldom wash dirty laundry by hand. Why waste time and energy if every family can afford today to buy a washing machine? But do not forget that any household appliances in need of regular care. What to do if mold appeared in the washing machine? How to get rid of the fungus?
Mold is what?
Usually “moldy diagnosis” we put in our washing machine after detecting an unpleasant odor and dark residue on the parts of the unit. Mold is the simplest fungal microorganisms. You will be surprised, but their disputes are in the air of even the cleanest houses. Their normal amount is about 500 units per 1 m 3, provided that high-quality cleaning has recently been carried out. The good news is: for a healthy person, the fungal spores are completely harmless.
Once in a favorable environment, the mold begins to develop on all available surfaces. Optimum conditions for the existence of the fungus: high air temperature, musty air and high humidity. If you want to learn how to permanently get rid of mold in the washing machine and the house, it makes sense to take care of the microclimate in the living room. Good ventilation and regular ventilation, combined with normal humidity and air temperature, will prevent the formation of fungus.
Determine the scale of the problem
A washing machine is a rather complicated device consisting of many different parts. With regular use, contamination can appear not only on the visible elements of the unit. If you find an unpleasant smell or mold in the washing machine, you must first carefully examine household appliances. Be sure to check the filters and hoses. Most often, mold appears on plastic and rubber parts. In 70% of cases, the hostess problem is detected by noticing the spots on the elastic of the door. Often the fungus appears in the tray for washing powder.
Cleaning a household appliance should begin with the removal of surface deposits. Wash gum, powder tray, hoses and filters with any detergent. Then dry (preferably in direct sunlight) all removable elements. Now you can collect the washing machine and begin an active fight against the fungus. Regular washing is not able to beat the mold in the washing machine. How to get rid of the fungus without harming the home appliance?
Chlorine against mold
One of the best tools in the fight against black mold is chlorine. Any household chemicals based on this substance available in your home will do. The most convenient way is to use bleach and plumbing cleaners. Do not forget to read the composition before use. Make sure the selected solution really contains chlorine. Liberally apply undiluted product on the stains. Leave the dirt "soak."
If mold marks are barely noticeable, the result can be assessed in 30 minutes. Strong contamination is recommended to soak in chlorine for 1-2 hours. How to clean the washing machine from mold with bleach or plumbing? Usually mold stains disappear by themselves. It is only necessary to wash off the active solution. After cleaning with chlorine, it is recommended to start the washing program at the maximum temperature without laundry.
Citric acid is deservedly considered one of the cheapest home remedies for scale and lime scale. Effectively this substance and in the fight against mold. To clean a standard car, you need two bags of citric acid. Pour them into the compartment for washing powder or directly into the drum, then run the longest program at the maximum temperature. The effect can be enhanced if the machine is paused in the middle of the wash cycle (before rinsing). After 1-2 hours, resume the washing process and wait for it to finish. This method, most likely, will not help if the visible parts have ingrained stains that the mold left in the washing machine. How to get rid of such pollution, we will tell you further.
Can soda remove traces of mold?
Baking soda is available in any modern kitchen. It is used in cooking and in the household. How to remove mold in a washing machine with soda? In a separate bowl, dissolve the powder with water until a slurry forms and mix well. Apply the mixture in places of mold accumulation and leave for 30 minutes. Using a soft brush or dishwashing sponge, rub the gruel over the surface, then rinse with water.
There is another interesting homemade recipe with soda. Pour 1 liter of vinegar into the powder compartment and pour 400 grams of soda. Put an empty machine in the washing at the maximum temperature. This method is very effective, but, unfortunately, it can not be called completely safe. With a lot of wear of individual parts of the device or non-compliance with proportions, the probability of a washing machine breakage is high.
Integrated cleaning of the washing machine
The black mold in the washing machine looks very unpleasant. How to get rid of such a fungus, if it did not manage to wash it using the means described above? Be patient and do a comprehensive cleaning of the device. Dilute a weak copper sulfate solution and treat it with gum, as well as all visible mold stains on other parts of the washing machine. Leave the solution for a day, then rinse it thoroughly using non-aggressive detergents. Dishwashing gel or washing powder will perfectly cope with this task. The next stage is the cleaning of the internal elements of the washing machine. Do the washing at maximum temperature with citric acid. As in the previous cases, the drum must be empty.
When do you need professional help?
Fight with the fungus in the washing machine, you can use special household chemicals. On sale today you can find solutions and sprays "from the mold" and "for disinfection." Most often, these tools are designed to care for plumbing and tile. Before use, carefully read the instructions of the selected product. Apply the product on the spots of mold followed by the time specified for the basic cleaning. Typically, in the composition of such household chemicals are a variety of acids.
Do not mix several different means. After each cleaning, perform an empty wash. What to do if you can’t remove the dirt on your own and the mold reappears in the washing machine? How to get rid of dark spots and nasty smell? To solve these problems, you can always call a specialist in the repair of household appliances. The wizard will disassemble your machine and will thoroughly clean all its components. Be prepared for the possibility that some parts will have to be replaced.
The secrets of operating a washing machine without mold
Now you know how to clean the mold in the washing machine. To prevent the recurrence of the fungus, remember a few simple rules for using this household appliance. Be sure to take out the laundry immediately after the end of the wash and never lay it in the drum beforehand. In order to collect all the dirty things together, there is a laundry basket. After completing the wash with a dry soft cloth, wipe the elastic and leave the door open until completely dry.
Most modern homes have significant problems with ventilation. If you have the opportunity, put a washing machine in the kitchen or in the hallway / closet. The classic placement of this home appliance - in the bathroom - significantly increases the likelihood of mold. This problem can be solved by installing a forced exhaust device on the vent. If possible, additionally ventilate the bathroom, leave the door open. Many washing machine repair specialists recommend using classic laundry detergents, and use conditioners and washing gels as rarely as possible. It is also useful to regularly (at least 1-2 times a month) wash on high temperature. All these manipulations are excellent mold prevention.
Black coated parts are cleaned with a hard sponge or brush. Use special antifungal agents, for example, sprays from Astonish or Savo. Domestos will do the same, which will destroy the mold and remove the smell of dampness.
Cover your mouth and nose with a respirator or gauze bandage; put on dishwashing gloves on your hands. Antifungal agents produce toxic fumes, so it is important to protect yourself from intoxication.
Apply Domestos or other substance to the parts, lubricate the rubber cuff, pour into the containers for powder and rinse aid. Wait 2–3 hours, then rinse off the residue from the machine with a stiff sponge. Details rinse several times. The cleaner can form a film on the inside surface of the drain hose or cistern. During washing, the antifungal compound is absorbed into clothing and causes allergic rashes.
The sponges used to wash the mold are thrown away. They are a source of fungal spores that multiply rapidly and spread throughout the house.
Cleaning the parts of black bloom is only the first step. Mold can lurk in hard to reach places, so after washing the washing machine proceed to disinfection.
Bleach and high temperatures
Set the maximum temperature, usually it is 90–95 degrees. In the container for powder pour 1 liter of bleach containing chlorine. For example, inexpensive "Whites" or some other means. Start the wash, but leave the drum empty.
After 30 minutes, turn off the machine, leaving the water inside, or delay the start for 3-4 hours. Let the drum and the remaining parts soak in the solution with chlorine. Then the equipment is started, and when the rinsing mode is activated, 2-3 cups of vinegar are poured into the air conditioner section.
It is impossible to mix the components, otherwise the product may damage the rubber parts. In the gentle version, instead of bleach with chlorine, food or calcined salt is used. 400-500 g of powder fall asleep in the tray and set the maximum temperature. The smell of dampness is removed with citric acid, which is added to the rinse water instead of vinegar.
After disinfection, the machine is wiped with a dry, clean towel and the door is left open for a day. It is advisable to remove the tray for the powder, because water may stagnate in the container. The bathroom opens a window to provide ventilation.
Fresh aroma and no mold
Favorite place of the fungus - a rubber cuff? Will help copper sulphate.
- To put a pinch of means in a glass of water, to stir while the additive will not be dissolved.
- Infuse the solution for 1–2 hours so that there are no dry particles left that can eat up the gum.
- Apply a medication based on vitriol on the cuff with a toothbrush or sponge.
- To process hard-to-reach places, leave for a day, so that the chemistry can destroy all fungal spores.
- After 24 hours, prepare a solution from detergent or laundry soap.
- With a soft sponge, remove the remains of vitriol with a black crust.
Be sure to wear gloves, otherwise the chemistry will cause allergies or burns. The cuff is disinfected, the turn of the drum has come:
- Pour into citric acid washing powder supply container. It will take 2–3 packs.
- Throw in the machine 1–2 clean kitchen towels, so that the equipment does not work idle.
- The duration of washing is 1–1.5 hours. Choose a mode for synthetics or other dense fabric, so that the machine works at maximum. Temperature below 90 degrees.
- Be sure to turn on the rinse with clean water.
Did you smell mildew? So, the fungus had spread to the filter. It is better to call a professional who can carefully remove the part and clean or put a new one.
Cheap and fast
Black plaque appeared on the rinse aid container? Remove the tray, rinse it under the tap and clean it with a toothbrush with soda and detergent. Put on a rag and dry, and then return to the place.
Buy on the market the packaging of the cheapest powder. Type in hot water in a washing machine, pour 1–2 spoons of inexpensive product into a container. Turn on the equipment literally for 3-5 minutes, leaving the drum empty. Throw in another 10–15 g of cheap powder, run. After idle washing is completed, drain off water. Do not rinse, let on the walls will remain an alkaline layer that will protect the equipment from mold.
Domestos and Citric Acid
In advanced cases, only heavy artillery will save. You will need an aggressive detergent homeostos. It corrodes even rust, and copes with mold in a matter of minutes.
The first step is to wear rubber gloves and close the windows in the bathroom. Apply liquid to the drum and rubber cuff, carefully rubbing the product into the parts with a stiff sponge. Close the machine and leave it sour.
After 4 hours, select the rinse mode, not the wash. Turn on the equipment and fill the machine with three spoons of citric acid. Wait until the rinsing stops. Switch to the wash. Water should be very hot from +90 degrees. Put 200 g of citric acid in the powder container. Run the process.
It remains to wipe the drum and ventilate the machine. Guaranteed fresh flavor and no black bloom. Citric acid will also clear the heating element from a layer of scale. If something gets cracked or falls in the device during the washing process, it is recommended to stop the process and look into the drain hose to remove brown patches from there.
There is a second way to get rid of mold with citric acid:
- The component is mixed with cheap washing powder, you can add a little bleach.
- Dilute the mass with water to make a thick gruel.
- Paste is processed drum, tray for the air conditioner and rubber cuff.
- Thoroughly rub the tool into the parts using an old toothbrush or sponge.
- Leave for a day, closing the washing machine.
Then wash off the residue in rinsing mode, switch the equipment to boiling and set the timer for 4-6 minutes. The machine after such a procedure smells good and looks like new.
Chlorine and aggressive chemicals even remove the mold in just one time, but they contribute to the hardening of rubber parts. The cuff and drain pipe is covered with small cracks and fails. If there is little black bloom and there is no strong musty smell, it is recommended to use peroxide:
- Pour 200 g of regular soda into the powder section.
- Add peroxide, preferably in tablets. Enough 10 pieces.
- Start the wash by selecting a temperature of +90 degrees.
- The machine should work in the enhanced mode for 20-30 minutes, then turn on the rinsing.
It remains to remove all removable parts and lay out on a towel. Wipe the drum with a dry cloth, remove and rinse the filter.
Has mold remained even after peroxide or Domestos treatment? It is recommended to replace the parts of the washing machine: tray, drain hose, rubber cuff or filter. The main thing is to determine how much of the equipment has become a source of infection.
It is easier to prevent the appearance of the fungus than to deal with the bloom and unpleasant smell. Monthly pour citric acid into the washing machine and turn on the equipment without loading laundry into the drum. The additive will clean the heating devices from scale and bacteria, protect the device from mold.
One of the causes of the fungus - rinsing. The more expensive the conditioner for clothes or linen, the washing machine is worse. After the product remains a thin film on which mold multiplies. The tray, in which there was a rinse, was thoroughly washed after washing, the drum was wiped inside with a damp cloth.
The machine is not designed to store dirty and clean clothes. If you keep the sheets and socks in the drum, there will be not only a fungus, but also a sharp unpleasant smell, from which even citric acid will not save.
It is difficult to fight mold. The fungus actively multiplies and remains on washing clothes, bedding and children's toys. It is distributed throughout the house, attacking the immunity of all family members. But it is easy to protect yourself, it is enough to air and regularly clean the machine so that the black patina has no chance.
Why "settled" fungus
The fact that the black mold has settled in the machine, blame the hostess. Without knowing it, they "invite" the fungus. How does this happen? It's simple. The emergence of mold contributes to a combination of reasons.
- "Short cold" wash. Express program at low temperatures - the favorite mode of hostesses who want to save. However, if the temperature indicators are always low, the household appliance does not disinfect. При перегреве (от 60°С) плесень исчезает, тогда как низкие температуры, наоборот, создают благоприятные условия для колонии грибка.
- Отсутствие в порошке отбеливающих веществ. Такие вещества являются химически активными. Они не только возвращают сияющую белизну вещам, но и не дают распространяться грибку. Хозяйкам проще купить один порошок (универсальный), чем иметь про запас еще и средство с отбеливающими свойствами. But such a powder must be in the house: and not just stand unopened, but from time to time be used.
- Use rinse without additional rinsing. If you use the fabric softener, but do not include additional rinsing, you will soon have to think about how to clean the washing machine from the mold. A slimy plaque on the walls of the washer remains from a badly rinsed softener. In such conditions, the fungus quickly creates new colonies.
- Dampness. It appears if you do not rinse or dry the powder tank, do not dry the gum or dry the machine.
How to get rid of mold in a washing machine: methods with proven effectiveness
With the fungus can and should be fought. Even a hint of it should not be in the house, because such a neighborhood is dangerous to human health. Fungal spores:
- cause allergic reactions
- weaken the immune system
- open the way to various infections.
In addition, the mold provokes an unpleasant smell in the machine, which is transmitted and washed things. Therefore, it is necessary to fight with “uninvited guests” who settled in the typewriter, since the clothes after washing will smell like dampness and mustiness.
For difficult cases
Features To remove the fungus in a washing machine, you need to understand that he does not like. And it is better to influence everyone at once. Molds are “uncomfortable” when in contact with acids, when exposed to high temperatures and if dry. Apply the fungus three blows at the same time, and it will disappear.
- Pour a liter of “Whiteness” into the powder dispenser.
- Start the longest wash mode, having previously set the maximum temperature.
- In the middle of the cycle, pause the machine for one and a half hours. Resume the program and let it complete.
- When finished, pour 9-11% vinegar into the measuring tank. You need about two glasses. Turn on the Rinse program.
- Wipe the gum and drum dry.
- Remove the container and dry it.
- Keep the door open for a couple of days so that the "unit" is ventilated.
This method allows you to clean the washing machine from mold and odor, even if everything is running, and the black dotted traces spread over the entire inner surface. However, remember that mold can return to the habitable place: it will happen or not - depends on the subsequent proper care of equipment.
Citric acid method
Features There is a way to clean the washing machine from the smell of mold with citric acid. It will help if there is a little mold. The method should be addressed if the fungus is not visible, but there is a distinct smell of mustiness. Acid can also be used for prophylaxis: “chase” a machine with lemon remedy every four to six months.
- Wash and dry the powder tray and place under it.
- Pour 200 grams of citric acid into it.
- Start the wash (one of the long modes, the maximum temperature).
- Wipe the "insides" of the machine, do not forget about the elastic. Leave to be aired.
"Grandma's" method: how will soda
Features Our grandmothers used soda solution to fight the fungus in the house. Such a "helper" is in every kitchen, and the method itself does not require much effort. Soda gruel will help to wash the mold in the washing machine and in the powder compartment; it will clean the gum from the fungus, if there are few “lesions”. This method allows you to remove the mustiness: the unique properties of sodium bicarbonate to absorb the most corrosive odors are known.
- Two or three tablespoons of soda mixed with water. It should make a thick gruel.
- With the help of an old toothbrush or sponge, apply gruel to the lesion sites.
- Leave for half an hour.
- Run the wash without laundry.
- To enhance the effect, you can add a tablespoon of laundry detergent to the tank.
We use toilet liquid
Features This method allows you to get rid of mold, if the house does not have a special "chemistry", and folk methods did not help. An alternative to a specialized mold cleaner for a washing machine is a detergent designed for cleaning toilet bowls. It was created specifically to combat various microorganisms plus effectively removes unpleasant odor. In addition, for sure, such a disinfectant liquid is in your home.
- Before washing the mold in a washing machine with elastic, wear protective gloves.
- Spray with a sponge on the places inside the seal where the mold is located.
- Leave for five to ten minutes.
- Carefully wipe the treated gum.
- Run the “empty” wash.
How to prevent repetition: 5 tips
If you managed to get rid of the mold, it does not mean that it can not return. Give her no chance. How to do it?
- Wipe clean. You should have a habit after each wash to wipe the drum, compactor, all rubber parts. Do not forget that dryness is the enemy of mold.
- Air out. The powder tank must be removed at the end of the wash, thoroughly washed and left to dry. The doors of the machine must be kept open so that the drum is ventilated.
- Do not leave clothes. Wash is over - remove clothes. Do not leave wet clothes in a typewriter: moisture creates excellent conditions for the fungus. It is also not necessary to store dirty things in the drum: this also leads to the appearance of microorganisms and an unpleasant smell in the typewriter.
- Do not abuse the conditioner. It is not necessary to pour rinse over the norm, it is washed out so badly, creating a favorable environment for mold, and in large quantities it will be even more difficult to clean the air conditioner. Always turn on the extra rinse mode when using the rinse aid.
- Do prophylaxis. It is recommended to run the “empty” wash in the boiling mode every month. For such cases, buy a powder with a bleaching action. At least once every six months, clean the machine with citric acid or acetic acid.
It is impossible to remove the mold in the washing machine and prevent its further occurrence, if every six months the filter and hoses are not cleaned: a “fungus” likes to settle on these parts. It is better to call the master, who will show how to properly clean these parts of the washing machine. And after that you can repeat the procedure yourself.
Clean rubber seal
The place around the door of the front-loading automatic machine is the ideal breeding ground for germs. Accumulations of dirt, mucus, foam residues settle on warm, wet rubber, where mold can be safely cultivated in a few days.
From dirt and stains
Black traces of the fungus - a consequence of improper care of the washing machine. Gray plaque is easier to remove:
- Apply a damp cotton napkin to collect dirt from accessible areas of the compactor.
- Protect hands with household gloves.
- Take out the inner surface of the gum, bending the edges.
- Both sides of the cuff are washed out with a sponge, which is impregnated with the means of “Domestos”.
- The door is left closed for 20–30 minutes.
- Turn on the drum cleaning mode.
- Wipe the sealer dry, air the drum until the next wash in the open state.
From plaque and rust
Rusty stains are formed on a par with black, growing intensively around the perimeter of the gum. Remove plaque with solvent.
The best way - acetone nail polish remover:
- Ensure the safety of hands, pay attention to ventilation.
- Mechanically remove the layer of dirt with a napkin.
- The solvent is applied dotted on the affected areas.
- Leave for an hour.
- Washed out in rinsing mode at a temperature not lower than 60 degrees.
From unpleasant smell
The moldy odor of rotten water will go away with bacterial contamination.
When you need to remove only an unpleasant smell, apply lemon:
- The zest is turned into fine chips.
- Squeeze juice from the pulp.
- Strain from seeds and vegetable fibers.
- Chips are placed in a laundry bag.
- Place inside the drum of the machine.
- Juice of lemon process sealing gum, the inside of the drum, 2 tablespoons poured into the tray.
- Run rinse mode with a water temperature of 40 degrees.
- Wipe dry, air out.
Mold and mildew
To clean the washing machine seal microbes allow monarda extract. Means for sale in liquid form in the pharmacy network, as dietary supplements.
- A bottle of extract will last long. 15 ml diluted in 200 ml of cool distilled water.
- Put on the cleaned places by spraying.
- No need to flush.
The lack of a solution in a specific odor, which quickly disappears.
Clean the car under the rubber
Effectively to remove pollution in hard-to-reach places of the seal and under the cuff will help solutions:
- Diluted copper sulphate at the rate of: 50 g per 2 liters of softened water.
- The sealing ring is poured or sprayed with the resulting liquid.
- Stand hours 6–12.
- Rinse, wipe dry.
After taking with copper sulfate, mold will not return soon.
Complete cleaning of the washing machine
Complex measures for cleaning rubber in a washing machine are most effective. This means that it is most effective to remove dirt not in certain areas, but throughout the device:
- Check washed filters.
- Dry the hoses.
- Process the internal accessible parts of the structure with antiseptics.
- Start the drum cleaning mode once a month.
Only complete cleanliness ensures long operation of the machine without the need to replace parts, repairs, and service unscheduled diagnostics.
Causes of damage to the washing machine seal are hidden in the design features of the machine. High humidity, low-temperature washing mode, rinsing abuse, refusal of bleach, rare use of antiscale agent - lead to the formation of a favorable environment for the growth of fungus, bacteria, and accumulations of limescale.
At the initial stage of the formation of musty smell, it is enough to start the full cycle of washing the laundry. Concentrated powder with bleach can easily eliminate the signs of gum damage. If black stains are already seen on the sealing liner, specialized home care products are suitable for removing contaminants from affected parts of the machine.
Chlorine-based bleach is a popular alternative to expensive formulations:
The properties of chlorine to kill the microbial environment will allow to destroy the bacterial plaque, prevent its spread, prevent recurrence.
- Concentrated laundry detergent with inclusions of bleaching granules helps to neutralize microorganisms. With regular use of phosphate detergents, in the temperature mode not lower than 60 degrees, there is no need for additional disinfection of the drum, compactor or tray.
- Manufacturer from Japan "Kaneyo" will provide disposal of a scum, dirt, a rust, a fungus. The series is designed for running cases, the elimination of traces of damage to the inner tubes, hoses, effectively cleans the rubber seal on the idle wash mode.
- Tablets represent the pressed concentrated form of fight against a fungus. Composed of chlorine or natural biocomponents of plant origin. Among the list of proven manufacturers "Nagara", "RENE", Faberlik, "Frau Schmidt".
- There are specialized powders for cleaning washing, dishwashers. Company from Holland "HG" guarantees a quality victory over mold spores, prevention of mucus, cleaning of the drum from particles of scale, dirt, microbial environment.
Professionals urge to use specialized tools, do not experiment with acids, "Belize", Coca-Cola.
In order to wash off the remains of alkaline plaque, which form mucus and favorable conditions for the growth of bacteria, an acidic medium is used. Proven methods of eliminating mold, plaque, dirt are used in the course:
- Vinegar 9% diluted with cooled boiled water in a ratio of 1: 3. This solution is washed at idle, mechanically cleans the rubber in the washing machine, and the powder tray is processed.
- Citric acid fall asleep directly into the compartment instead of powder. At 5 liters of load enough 10 g of crystalline lemon. If there is a need to remove the yellowness from the nylon tulle - combine processes.
- Hydrogen peroxide removes fungal colonies. Processing lead, without diluting the solution. Rinse off after application is not necessary. Swab soaked in the tool, remove dirt, wipe dry, again pass peroxide.
- Boric acid in the form of a solution: 10 g of powder per ½ liter of boiled water. The mixture is heated until the precipitate is completely dissolved, cooled. Act in the same way as in the peroxide recipe.
- Essential oils in high concentration will negatively affect plastic and rubber. Observe the norm: for 5 liters of liquid no more than 3-4 drops of pure oil. 2 drops of tea tree oil mixed with 2 drops of lemon oil or rosemary. Poured into the compartment for the rinse with neutral liquid soap or baby shampoo. The operation, repeated from washing to washing, serves as prevention against microorganisms.
Why do I need to clean the tires
After the next wash cycle, turbid stains appear on the laundry. Drum cleaning is not effective. The surest way is to mechanically remove dirt from the rubber on the rim of the door.
If pollution is not removed:
- The deposits will destroy the rubber, which will entail the replacement of parts.
- The spread of germs on the drum machine-automatic causes contamination of linen and air.
- Black mold spores are dangerous to human health. The presence of micelles in the room causes allergies, asthma, impaired immunity.
Tips on car care
The increased humidity, warm environment, the abundance of residues of pollution give rise to the rapid growth of the fungus, the appearance of putrid odor.
General operating rules will help to postpone problems with the infection of a household appliance for a long time:
- Once a month, a full laundry cycle is started with a mode of at least 60 degrees.
- Do not abuse rinsing and foam additives.
- Take out clean things from the drum immediately after washing.
- The door of the machine is kept open between work.
- Carefully wipe the moisture off the seal.
- Use bleach once a week for washing.
- Soften hard water.
Careful study of the instructions for using the washing machine, following the advice of service is guaranteed to extend the smooth operation of the device.
Causes and signs of fungus
Mold appears on the inside of the washing machine if:
- there is poor ventilation in the room
- air humidity exceeded
- washing is carried out at a temperature of 40-60 degrees.
Often the fungus develops if the drum and trays are not wiped dry after use, the unit door is tightly closed, excluding the flow of air.
It is necessary to clean the washing machine from mold when it is detected:
- black spots in the powder compartment, on a rubber gasket,
- smell of mustiness on garments after washing.
It is important to quickly remove the mold, as the fungus is a danger to people, reducing immunity, causing inflammation, chronic bronchitis.
Before removing the mold, check where exactly the fungus develops. Examine hoses, filter, rubber seal at the door, the container.
How to clean the washing machine of mold with ready-made means
Antifungal agent Domestos and others like him will help to wash the washing machine.
Before processing, wear personal protective equipment: thick waterproof gloves, a mask of three layers of gauze. The composition with a napkin or brush is applied to all internal parts, can withstand three hours.
Wipe the plane with a hard sponge, rinse three times with clean water, wipe with a dry cloth napkin. The materials used are wrapped in a plastic bag and discarded. This technique is used to get rid of the harmful fungus that develops on surfaces accessible for processing. If it is localized inside the hoses, filters, then disinfection will be required.
How to get rid of mold in the washing machine with bleaching agents
The process is multistage.
- First, in order to remove mold, they pour it into the household powder chlorine bleach compartment, for example, Whiteness.
- Set the temperature to 90 degrees.
- Run the wash. After half an hour, pause.
- Leave the drum with water for three to four hours until all parts are clean.
- Include the continuation of the wash.
- When rinsing in the compartment for the air conditioner add 9% vinegar - three glasses.
After the procedure, wipe the parts with a dry soft cloth. The door of the machine is opened for 24 hours. Take out and dry the container.
How to clean the washing machine of mold with blue vitriol
Reliably removes mold from the washing machine a solution of copper sulphate, which is used according to the scheme.
- A teaspoon of copper sulphate is stirred in a glass of warm water until completely dissolved. Leave for two hours for final infusion.
- Filter through a double gauze to eliminate the presence of particles that can damage rubber parts.
- Sponge distribute the solution on the cuff, leaving the composition for a day.
- Dissolve in a liter of water two tablespoons of washing powder.
- Wetting a napkin in this solution, they begin to wash off the traces of vitriol together with the dirt. Hands protect with gloves.
- Закончив дезинфекцию манжеты, засыпают в порошковый отсек три пакетика лимонки, кладут в барабан две чистые наволочки и устанавливают режим стирки для хлопчатобумажного белья с температурой 90 градусов.
При завершении стирки протирают внутренности сухой ветошью. This cleaning will remove the black marks of the mold and, thanks to citric acid, will eliminate staleness.
Noticing black bloom in containers, remove the tray, washed under running water. Then dip the toothbrush into the cleanser and clean the surface. Wash with clean water and dry.
How to remove mold from a washing machine with hydrogen peroxide
When deciding how to clean a washing machine from mold, if a fungus is found in a small amount, use hydrogen peroxide with soda.
- 200 grams of soda is poured into the tray.
- Crushed and added to the soda 10 tablets of hydrogen peroxide.
- Set the maximum water temperature.
After rinsing, dry the drum, remove and clean the filter, wipe the removable parts.
The smell of mold in a washing machine: how to get rid of with citric acid
Solving how to remove the smell from the washing machine, resort to acid.
- Domestos are applied to the drum and rubber cuff with a hard sponge.
- Close the door of the machine.
- After 4 hours, wash off the remnants of the drug by rinsing.
- After turning off the unit, three tablespoons of lemon are put in the powder compartment, washing is performed at the maximum temperature.
After this treatment, mold spots, staleness and scale formed on the heating elements disappear.
Apply such a home technique. Citric acid is combined in equal volumes with washing powder. Add water, stirring the mass to a thick slurry consistency. Apply on the inner plane of the drum cuff, spread inside the tray. Rubbed with a sponge, close the machine for a day. For removal of the remains of pollution establish the rinsing mode, then - fast washing.
Cleaning the machine from mold.
First of all, you need to assess the degree of damage. Carefully inspect the car: drain hose, filter, water pipe from the pipe to the car, you have to dismantle all these parts and thoroughly clean with a hard brush using detergents or soda.
The rubber door seal must be bent as far as possible and also washed. After the mold is removed, process all these parts with chlorine bleach and leave. After 15-20 minutes remove residual bleach with a damp cloth; do not forget to wipe the rubber dry on the outside and the inside. Instead of bleach, you can use one of the industrial fungicides, which will be discussed further.
How to clean the washing machine from the mold inside?
When the external parts are cleaned, proceed to cleaning the internal surfaces of the machine:
- Pour a liter of vinegar or chlorine bleach into the powder container, regular soda will do (400g).
- Select the longest wash in the menu and the maximum temperature. Now you can relax or do other things. This “wash” automatically cleans the internal parts of the machine from mold and microbes: a drum, a heating element, a tank, a rubber seal and a pump that is responsible for draining.
- After the cycle is over and the machine has drained the water, you need to turn on the “rinse” mode, pour 0.5 l into the detergent tank. vinegar or 3 tbsp. l citric acid, which will leave a nice, fresh scent in the tank.
- Include another rinse cycle, but without vinegar.
- Wipe the machine with a dry cloth and leave open to evaporate all moisture.
If the fungus struck the internal parts of the machine, then you need to call the master, who completely disassemble and clean the machine, be prepared for the fact that some parts have to be replaced.
Publications on the topic: “How to get rid of mold in the bathroom” and “How to clean the tile joints”.
Anti-mold household chemicals
Household chemicals stores offer a wide range of quality fungicides.
Here are some of them: « Mold BAGI ”(producer country Israel), Deo-anti-mold, Mogel-Fri, Domestos, NEOMID, Well Done Mold cleaner, CILLIT BANG, Sepotosan-T, SAVO "," Mellerud "," Astonish Mold & Midlew "," Hg "(Netherlands). All the above remedies for mold are easy to use and do a good job of quality, but if you do not follow the rules for using an automatic machine, then the fungus will soon appear again.
Before using any tool, carefully read the instructions.
Can mold be prevented?
Yes, you can, if you follow simple rules:
- Regularly use the high-temperature mode (95 ° C), even if you do not need to erase anything, run the program on idle for a maximum time 1-2 times a month.
- Do not use helium-based laundry detergents; very often the gel settles on the inner stacks of the machine and creates a nutrient medium for the colony of fungi. Balms, conditioners, softeners use less often.
- Wipe all accessible parts of the machine with a dry cloth after washing, do not close the lid - let all moisture evaporate.
- After each wash, remove the powder container, rinse with running water, you can optionally wash it with bleach, dry it separately. If the dispenser is not removable, do not push it in and occasionally clean it with soda and an old toothbrush.
- Get rid of scale in a timely manner; in its porous structure, the fungus feels quite comfortable. Table vinegar is suitable for descaling; it is also useful for cleaning the shower stall from lime scale.
- Take the laundry out of the machine as soon as the laundry is finished.
- From time to time thoroughly clean the hoses and filters from accumulated dirt, organic residues in the filters serve as a source of infection.
Every six months you should do a descaling of citric acid and vinegar. To do this, pour 1 l in the powder compartment. vinegar and 400 grams. citric acid. Set the timer to the maximum time, the temperature should exceed 65 C. This procedure simultaneously cleans the machine from scale, pathogenic microflora, fungus and mucous plaque on the internal surfaces of the unit.
Kitchen or bathroom, where to put the machine?
The question is not idle, the whole thing is that the bathroom is the darkest and dankest place in the house, so it’s not surprising that the mold is put in it. In the kitchen, on the contrary, there is at least one window, and ultraviolet disastrous for mycelium enters the room. The kitchen is a dry room, which is very good for enamel and parts of household appliances; mold spores are not active in dry air.
There are also disadvantages of placing a washing machine in the kitchen. In our apartments there are very close kitchens, and the car requires a certain space, if the load is horizontal, then you need a place to open the door. The laundry basket can block the passage or interfere while cooking.
Many housewives near the machine store and laundry products, but this is unacceptable! Since harmful fumes and small particles of the powder get into the air and into ready meals, the situation is especially sad when there are allergies in the house.
We recommend placing the machine in the bathroom and installing a forced draft (a special fan that directs air from the room to the ventilation hole). To prevent mold, it is advised to keep the door open when no one uses the bathroom.
From time to time, you can use an ultraviolet lamp, a 15-minute procedure once a week will help to get rid not only of mold, but also of all types of microbes that live in large quantities in the bathroom and toilet.
Save and share information in social networks: