In today's article we will look at the topic - how to make bird feeders with your own hands. Photos, original ideas you can take note of. Do not forget to add a link to the article about feeders in the bookmarks.
Birds can die without surviving the cold winter. Another reason for their death may be a lack of food. Feeding of birds is an important and noble cause. In addition, hand-made troughs will successfully fit into your garden plot and decorate its territory. And the feathered friends, in turn, will help you in the fight against pests, thereby preserving your harvest.
Do not limit your imagination. The trough can be made of any materials, the main thing is to make it reliable and durable. But do not forget about security. The hole for birds can be treated with resin, taped with electrical tape, so that feathered guests are protected from injuries and cuts.
Birdhouse should be located in a convenient place. It is not necessary to hang it in a tree-thickened area, in places of strong drafts, and also where cats walk. Place the bird's house in an open, viewable area, feathered friends will immediately notice their refuge.
You can do an exciting business of creating a birdhouse with your children and take your creation to school and kindergarten. They will love the creative activity, and you will have fun together!
From sleeves from toilet paper
For its manufacture we need:
- peanut butter,
- cardboard sleeves,
Take a couple of branches and fasten them with hot glue. You can connect them by bandaging with a rope. And also another option is possible. Just make 4 holes in the cardboard sleeve for the size of the branches (2 higher and 2 slightly lower). Choose for yourself any of these ways of fastening of branches.
- Apply peanut butter on a cardboard sleeve with a knife.
- Dip the sleeve in the feed.
- Repeat 2 and 3 points for the rest of the sleeves.
We tie a rope to the branches and hang the construction.
Original Pumpkin Ideas
The original tank with bird food will turn out to be made even from a pumpkin.
For this we need:
- Cut off the top of the pumpkin and remove the pulp from it.
- Use a screwdriver to make 4 cuts for wooden sticks in it (2 higher and 2 lower, the sticks will be located at different levels).
- We take the wire and wind it with each end of the sticks, then it will be convenient to hang a pumpkin on a branch. We connect the wire, hang the pumpkin smoothly, you can twist it with a hook.
Having shown a little ingenuity, make an excellent feeder, perhaps even from an old log.
Feeding trough from a tree: a photo of original ideas
You just need to cut the core, there is a free space for food and feathered guests. The main thing is to choose a solid suspension. To do this, the chain is quite suitable. It will reliably withstand the design, and look beautiful.
Wooden troughs are durable, environmentally friendly and functional. Birds can cling to the sides and get comfortable pecking food. The most suitable height of the bumpers is 4 centimeters.
Thin plywood is suitable for the bottom and roof, and wooden bars are suitable for the manufacture of vertical elements. The optimum height of the feeder is from 20 to 30 centimeters, and the length of the sides is from 25 to 40 centimeters. The roof should not be plastic, metal, so the flown birds from it will not slide off.
The feeder is hung on a rope and tied to a branch, and also attached to the trunk and to the fence. Please note that restocking feed should be convenient.
For the manufacture of the product we need:
- plywood, boards, wooden blocks,
- drill, screwdriver or hammer,
- drills, screws or nails,
- carpentry corner.
Various bird feeder schemes can be found on the Internet. In our example, we will use a drawing.
- We outline the markup with a pencil and cut the details along the lines.
- We fasten the bars to the bottom with screws. They perform the function of bumpers. From the short side we fix the butt bars with edges. On the long side we indent about 5 millimeters.
- To the long sides with indents we fasten the walls with screws.
- Fix the walls by connecting them together with a bar, which is fastened with screws from the inside.
We skip the rope through the upper part of the roof and hang a tree house.
Wood parts must be treated with sandpaper, the bird will not get hurt. The house, assembled with screws, stronger than the structure, fastened with nails.
From the old dishes do the feeder to school
Got old dishes? You can also make an original bird sanctuary out of it. And at the same time you will be able to decorate your garden with such an interesting decision. Just glue the cup with a saucer and place the structure on a branch, attaching any suspension.
You can build a multi-level pyramid using a plate, saucer and cup. The plate should be located on the lower level, and the saucer is slightly higher. Then you get a trough and watering. As an attachment, you can choose a decorative chain.
From ice cream sticks
Love the popsicle? Do not rush to throw away wooden sticks from it. After all, one can construct an interesting version of the feeder.
We begin the manufacturing process:
We spread sticks one after another in one row.
- Fasten two sticks on opposite sides with glue so that the row does not fall apart. Then repeat the procedure on the reverse side.
- We build a fence of sticks and fasten them with glue. A large stick can be placed at the bottom of the design. It will serve as a perch.
- We pass the rope and crafts are ready! It can be painted in any color at will.
Original polymer clay feeder
To make such an unusual polymer clay feeder, take:
- a piece of cloth
- dishes that withstand high temperatures in the oven,
- polymer clay.
- Roll out the clay on the table. The seam should be 6 millimeters thick.
- We place the clay in the dishes, which we will send to the oven. We cut all unnecessary, forming smooth edges. We make 3 large holes, in which the rope will be pushed.
- We send the dishes to the oven. Pre-read the manual on the use of clay, correctly calculating the time of its roasting in the oven.
- We harden the cured form from the plate and tie 3 pieces of rope to it. We tie knots at the ends of each segment. Other ends must be threaded into the holes.
- We connect the segments of the rope with a wire or aluminum piece.
Put a small piece of material inside the plate, the birds will not be able to peck the clay bowl, carried away by the absorption of food.
Coconut can be an excellent dining room for birds. The main thing - to make the door in a strong shell. Only an adult can cope with this by using a special tool.
When the hole is drilled, remove the pulp from the coconut. The hole for the rope is much easier to make.
We push the end of the rope into the hole made in the upper part of the nut and make a knot.
We hang a nut on a tree and fill it with seeds. If you drill out the door a little smaller, then, quite possibly, the birds will find their warm dwelling and settle in it. It turns out a great dining and hotel room for our little friends.
Coconut pulp does not necessarily reach. The birds themselves will cope with this task quite successfully!
Do you have metal cans at home and in the country? They can go into business. After all, they are quite durable material.
We proceed to the manufacture of feeders:
- Take jars, paint, color tape, glue and wooden twigs.
- Paint the cans in bright shades, they will attract birds for the meal.
- Tie the jars with ribbon and hang to the branch. Bottom secure the stick with glue, it will be convenient for the birds to peck the food.
You can cook your own snacks for the birds by making a kind of kozinaki. Culinary miracle get cooked pretty quickly. Eating such treats, the birds will slowly and gently peck the food and will not be able to scatter it.
To prepare, take:
- 2 packs of gelatin,
- cocktail tubes
- cookie cutters,
- any seeds (buckwheat, sunflower seeds, rolled oats, millet, dried fruits),
- thread or rope
- hot water (2/3 cup).
- Fill the gelatin with boiling water, pour in the feed and mix the mixture well.
- Put the resulting mass into molds and insert the tubes on top.
- When the mixture has cooled, remove the tube and remove the mass from the mold. In the hole from under the tube we stretch the rope.
Birds can peck food even from bumps. Find a bigger cone in the forest and coat it with peanut butter. Various grains stick to it well.
Make an edible garland and place it on the tree. Put cornflakes on the wire and make hearts out of it. In turn, they need to be stapled together, and then hang on a branch.
Bottle Feeder: waste material to help
This craft to do elementary. Your child is already in the 1st or 2nd grade, he will easily cope with this task.
Prepare the following items:
- the rope
- plastic bottle
- scissors (stationery knife),
- Cut out the windows in the bottle on each side. To do this, make 3 notches, the bottom side of the door must remain intact.
- Fold down the door with pliers. It turns out the ground for the birds, where they will land for food.
- Remove the cap from the bottle and make a hole in it with a screwdriver.
- Cooking rope. We fold it in half (if required, repeat the procedure) and push it into the gap made in the lid. Tie a knot on the tip of the rope and twist the cap.
- We pour the seeds and hang the finished product.
Feeding trough do-it-yourself from box to kindergarten
Even a child can easily make a bird house out of a juice and milk carton. You can bring such crafts in the garden.
For her, we need to prepare:
- scissors (stationery knife),
- felt-tip pen
- empty box
- insulating tape
- rope or wire.
First, mark up the layout and cut a window in the wall of the box. We do the same on the opposite wall, the birds will be able to fly in and out freely after the meal. We go around the holes with tape for safety. Then we turn down the corners of the package and make holes in them with scissors and sewing. In them, we will push the rope.
To the house is not swinging from the wind, it can be mounted on a tree trunk. In this case, the windows should be done on the adjacent walls of the box. On the opposite wall do the holes, insert the wire and fasten it to the trunk.
From two boxes from under juice also the excellent feeding trough turns out. We cut one box in half on the narrow side, leaving the tip intact. From the second package, use only half or third. It will serve as a bottom. Make a window on one of its sides. Food will be poured there. Combine the boxes and we get a figure in the form of a triangle. It can be glued together or taped together. And also to pierce the holes below and thread the tubes into them.
You can build a huge number of options for bird feeders with your own hands.
Photos, original ideas of their manufacture, we discussed in this article. Using these easy instructions, you will be able to make any birdhouse along with the kids. Wish you luck! Subscribe to the blog and share master classes with your friends on social networks.
How to make a bird feeder with your own hands?
Having accustomed the birds to the feeder, you will be able to observe the entertaining bird turmoil and the secret life of the birds.
Some of them defend their rights in a fight with relatives, others enter into competition with other species, but all without exception are carefully looking around to avoid the attack of a small hawk, who is very interested in the trough.
Materials for the manufacture of feeders can be very diverse, but there are some general design rules:
- the feeding trough should be, first of all, convenient for the birds; there should be no difficulty in digging the food,
- the roof and sides will help protect the food from snow, rain and wind. From moisture exposure, food can deteriorate and become moldy, which means it will turn into a poison for birds,
- it is desirable that the material from which the trough will be made is resistant to moisture, otherwise this design will not last for a long time and you will need to make a new
- the walls and corners should not be sharp and stabbing,
- feeders for small birds are made small in size so that larger and more aggressive species will not encroach on their food,
- it is better to place the feeders on the branches of trees or fasten to the walls of outbuildings at a height of about one and a half meters so that the cats do not offend the birds, and it was convenient to add food to feathered friends.
Tip Birds get used to a permanent feeding place and are ready to travel many kilometers to the feeder. Therefore, feeding should be constant, otherwise the birds may die.
Plywood bird feeder
The feeder can be bought in the hypermarket, and you can make your own hands in a few hours. Plywood feeder can be made open, with a flat or dual slope roof, provide a bunker compartment, if you can not constantly monitor the amount of feed in the feeder. Of course, you will need drawings, good, plenty of them on the Internet with ready-made dimensions of parts for cutting. Choose a design that you like, the drawing will facilitate the work and ensure that in the end you get exactly what is shown in the photo.
When choosing a drawing for a future feeder, consider the bird population of your region. Jays, pigeons and magpies can eat all the food, leaving little tits hungry. To prevent this from happening, make the size of the feeder openings so that large birds cannot reach the stern.
So, you will need a hammer, an electric jigsaw, nails of suitable length, water-based glue, sandpaper, plywood, a bar of 20 x 20 mm. Consider the simplest feeder.
- On plywood we mark up the details and cut them with a jigsaw. At the bottom we use a square sheet of 25 x 25 cm, on the roof, make the size larger so that the moisture does not drain on the feed.
- The edges of the blanks are sanded with sandpaper to prevent burrs.
- We cut out four racks from 25 to 30 cm from a bar.
Ideas and drawings of tree feeders
Feeders made of wood are attractive because they will last for a long time, keep their shape well - this is due to the properties and reliability of wood. For the manufacture of such a feeder will need at least minimal skills with tools and drawing. Board for manufacturing should be 18-20 mm thick. Consider the option of making a feeder, which you can do yourself or take a photo as a basis for drawing. We will need a timber of 4.5 x 2 cm for racks, a square of plywood 25 x 25 cm for the bottom, for the roof two pieces of 35 x 22 cm in size, nails, self-tapping screws and glue.
- Putting the base: the bottom and sides. We cut the bars, cut to the size of the bottom, for fitting, glue the ends, and screw in the screws. It should be a frame. Make two parallel flanges 5 cm longer than the bottom. Pads can be attached to them.
- Now we nail the bottom to the frame.
- To the inner part of the resulting box fasten rack length 18 - 20 cm.
Such a feeder can be installed permanently on a dead post or drill two holes in the ridge, twist the hook screw and hang it on a wire. Several birds can fly up to the feeder at the same time, the food is protected from the wind by sides and a roof, the feathered friends of the garden will enjoy such a cozy dining room.
If there is a gazebo in your area, hang in there a simple trough without a roof. It is enough to make a side and bottom. If you want to paint the feeder or open it with varnish, then apply water-based formulations in order not to harm the birds.
Making a cardboard feeder (suitable for children)
One of the easiest feeders. The cardboard option is interesting because it can be crafted in a place with children and at the same time have a great time with them. It will be an excellent craft for kindergarten or elementary school. There is a lot of room for creativity. Cardboard is a great option, it is only afraid of direct water. But if you want to insure and make the feeder more resistant to moisture, you can glue the external elements of the feeder with wide tape, especially its upper and lower parts. In the forest or in the park, such a feeding trough can easily last throughout the winter and part of the spring.
A set of tools and materials is minimal and, if you do not have something from this list, you can always find a replacement for it. So we need these materials and tools:
If such a feeder is going to take the prize, as the best work in your kindergarten, you will have to sweat a little in terms of exterior design. Here our cardboard will give odds to any Tetra-pack (this is a bag of milk or juice), you can draw on it beautifully and decorate it in every possible way. Undoubtedly, the prize from kindergarten will be yours!
Option number 1. The simplest feeder
Симметрично, по обе стороны бутылки вырезаем два отверстия: круглые, квадратные, прямоугольные или в виде арки. Между отверстиями должны остаться перемычки. Если сделать прорезь в виде перевёрнутой буквы «П» и отогнуть пластинку вверх, то получится козырёк от дождя. At the lower edge of the hole, you can stick a adhesive tape or fabric tape - the edges will not be pointed and the birds will sit comfortably. In the lower part we make symmetrical holes and insert a stick - the result is a feeding trough with a roost.
Attaching such a canteen for birds can be done on a tree by strapping the jumper with scotch tape, rope or other suitable material as seen in the photo. If you make a hole in the lid of the bottle and insert the ends of the twine, and then tie them into a knot, you get a loop that you can throw on the branches of garden trees.
Option number 2. Bunker feeder.
This design is rational in use so that the feed can be poured with a stock for several days. Food as it is eaten by the birds will automatically reach the feeding area itself.
It will take two bottles of one displacement. Mark up one bottle with a marker before cutting. At the bottom we make holes, as in the trough No. 1, and remove the upper third of the bottle. We make two symmetrical holes at the top - a ribbon or a string for hanging the feeder will be attached to them in the future. In the second bottle, we cut several holes at the narrowest part - feed will be poured out of them. Do not immediately make large holes, it is better to expand them later. Fill the bottle in the bottle, twist the cork and insert the bottle into the first bottle cut by one third.
Option number 3. Feeding trough with a spoon
In the cork we make a hole and insert a twine for hanging. Then symmetrically make two holes in the size of a spoon. We cut a hole in the bottle above the cup-shaped deep part of the spoon, slightly widening it so that the birds can take the food. Fill the trough and hang.
Tip With a hot needle or a small nail, make several holes in the bottom of the feeder to drain the moisture that has got inside.
Bird feeder from a plastic bottle of 5 liters
Probably, in every house there is an empty plastic five-liter bottle from under the water. It is very easy to make a feeder in one evening for feeding birds during the winter period. Such a container will contain much more food than a plastic bottle of a smaller volume, as can be seen in the photo. Several openings will allow several birds to eat with convenience.
This is a very simple and quick option, invite your children or other family members to take part in the manufacturing process: find a ribbon or wire to tie the finished feeder to a tree branch, prepare a treat for the birds. Prepare a clean bottle, sharp knife, pruner or stationery knife.
Cut the hole based on how we plan to fix the container on the tree:
- horizontally - we cut a wide hole from the side of the bottom of the bottle and the same from the side of the neck,
- vertically - at a height of 5-7 cm from the bottom of the tank we cut several square holes or three rectangular holes.
It is convenient to tie the bottle by the neck or wire with a string. If the feeder is made in a horizontal version, then with a knife, make two holes on the wall, through which you pass the twine for tying. To keep the feeder from swaying with the wind, put a quarter of brick on the bottom to make it heavy, and load a treat from above.
From the five-liter bottle you can also build a bunker feeder. You will need a five-liter bottle and two 1.5 l each, a marker, a stationery knife and a rope.
- We mark at the bottom with a marker holes that will serve as a log for birds. It is optimal to make a couple of small ones, and one more, so that a 1.5 liter bottle would fit through it.
- Make a large hole in the form of an inverted "P", the upper part will serve as a peak from falling into the snow or rain. The bottom edge of the openings to avoid traumatic cuts we glue the adhesive tape.
- At the bottle, which will be placed inside, we make holes at the points of contact with the bottom of a 5 l bottle and a little higher. From these holes will wake up food as it is eaten by birds.
- In the lid of a five-liter bottle we make a round hole so that in the twisted form the thread of the neck of the other bottle would rise.
With a little ingenuity, it is possible from the simplest plastic bottles to create unusual dining rooms for birds, which will decorate your site.
Bird feeder out of shoe box
Everything is simple. We take a tight shoe box with a lid. In the lid make a round hole. The hole needs to be shifted slightly from the center to the lower edge of the box (in the photo a little wrong), this is necessary so that the birds can get to the feed, which will lie at the bottom of the box.
In the upper part of the box we make a small hole and push a bundle or rope into it. By the end of this rope we tie an old pencil or stick. We will then tie the other end of the rope to the branch of the tree on which we plan to hang the feeder. Then you can wrap the box with wrapping paper, but this is for the aesthetic component, you can not do that.
We make a roof of ordinary cardboard and put it on glue. Next, glue the lid to the box itself with scotch tape, as in Figure 3, 4, and pass the rope through the lid too.
At the moment when we hang the finished manger on a tree, the roof may come off the box, but that’s not a big deal, it’s not going anywhere, because it will hold the rope.
And the picture below is an even simpler version of the feeder from the shoe box. But there is no need to explain anything, everything is already visible in the photo. The whole box is just rewound with tape, which, by the way, is very practical. And in our opinion it turned out - original and unusual.
Cardboard Bird Feeder
For the manufacture of bird dining with their own hands will fit the simplest material, which is in abundance stored on the balconies of most families: boxes of electrical goods, cardboard food packaging. Choose a cardboard with a laminated coating tightly, the laminate will slightly increase the service life of the feeder. Although, as written above for these purposes, you can use a wide tape. The advantage of this design is that there is already a bottom, walls and roof of the future feeder, which needs to be slightly modified by cutting through square or rectangular openings on the sides.
You will need a nylon cord, scissors or stationery knife and tape. Since the cardboard is very short-lived material and is afraid of moisture, the finished trough wrapped with scotch tape will last until next season. Cutting through the side holes and securing the cord, you can hang the feeder and fill it with treats for birds, which will not take long to wait. Put sand or some pebbles on the bottom so that the structure does not shake strongly with the wind.
You can do a little differently. We glue the lid of the box perpendicularly so that the lid serves as a stern stand, and the second part of the box has a side and a roof. We glue the construction with scotch tape. We make two hooks from the wire: we bend the piece of wire twice and pierce the “ceiling” of the feeder with the ends, twist it and fold it from the inside. By connecting the hooks, you can hang the feeder on the branch. As it can be seen in the photo. Now fill the food and wait for the guests.
Bird feeder on the window (with suction cups)
Such feeders - a very interesting option for the overall development of children, and adults too :). The feeder is attached to the window, or rather to the glass, with the help of suction cups. Usually such feeders are still made transparent in order to fully enjoy bird watching. If there are suckers, you can make such a feeding trough yourself, for example, from the same plastic bottle, but you must admit that it will not be as aesthetic as the finished version from the store. Children will probably start taking pictures of it all, and photos with yellowed, dull bottles will, to put it mildly, not so hot. Purchased options look very nice.
Types of bird feeders: photo
- Support for grapes: tips on how to make your own hands and photo designs
- We make with our own hands: the furnace of bubafon
- Do-it-yourself sharpening device: how to collect sandpaper from a washer engine
- Variants of simple bird traps to help summer resident
Hanging troughs and birdhouse is a tradition dating back to my childhood. We had our own house with our own yard. Dad made the feeder out of plywood and hung it in front of the kitchen window under the shed so that the feeder was less exposed to snow and rain. This tradition has passed into my family. But along with the father, the daughter herself tried her hand at making the trough. At the age of 10, she took a hammer and nails from a tree and made a feeding trough from plywood and round thin wood cuts (there is a similar picture in this article). Of course, the work turned out a little rough, but a little tweaked and the feeder was also hung. Our feeders also hang under a canopy and opposite the kitchen window. The birds are already accustomed to and are not afraid to fly into for lunch. But the big birds arrive at the household yard and eat along with the domestic birds. So we feed everyone, we welcome everyone.
Something like that and we used to be schoolchildren. I especially liked to make a feeder with ice on a certain harvest in the frosty winter, and then paint it with different paints. She was especially attracted to birds (despite her coldness). Now we are doing more than the standard plan - with fiberboard.)
This thing is very necessary for birds in the winter! Good people come up with! We made for example from polyfoam. It is quite durable and practical. Cutting it was not at all difficult!
My children and I made birdhouses from different materials. The simplest of plastic bottles, they took a big bottle of 5 liters and cut out a hole, filled in food and hung it in the yard. Can be made of cardboard, but not durable, from the rain it comes into disrepair. You can make a birdhouse out of anything, the main thing is desire and fantasy.
Nina birdhouse of a bottle is certainly better than cardboard and starlings will appreciate)))
The cutest and most beautiful "cafe" for birds
1. Use a knife to cut the bottle in two places along the outline. What width strips cut, see for yourself, there are no exact dimensions.
2. See the picture below. You will cut out a wider strip, get a squat figure, cut less - the product will be higher.
3. At the bottom of the bottle, cut a hole for birds, as shown in the photo. Do not forget to walk along the edge of the window with a hot knife so that the cut is melted down and make it not sharp. The bird will sit on the edge of the window paws and should not be cut.
So that the birds do not cut the legs
Paint the bottom of the bottle with acrylic paint.
4. When the paint dries, make two holes with a hole punch (or a hot nail) in the bottom of the bottle, on either side of the entrance to the feeder at the same distance.
Hole punch makes holes tighter than nail
5. Symmetrical holes must be made in the upper part of the bottle; twine will be threaded through these holes, with which the upper and lower parts of the bottle will be connected and this beauty will be suspended.
Connect the lower and upper part of the construction with a string
6. Paint the top of the bottle and do not forget the cork. Let it dry.
7. Twine will be passed through the scheme:
Twine connects the top and bottom of the feeder, and the nodules are pulled up through the hole in the tube
8Make a hole in the cork, take the knots and pull the two ends of the twine over the nodules through the hole in the cork.
Thread the twine through the hole in the stopper.
9Decorative detail. Make additional holes, as shown in the photo, on the lower and upper parts of the bottle and fasten the parts with decorative rivets. This will further hold the details together and give the appearance of a “brand thing.”
Align the holes for the rivets at the bottom of the product with the same holes at the top.
Rivets especially adorn
10Glue the bows with the buttons with a glue gun with silicone glue.
Raffia palm twisted bow
And such bottles would also make funny feeders.
From cardboard boxes.
Any cardboard box with a cut-out hole, suspended, and filled with food, is a feeder. For example, a box from Rafaelo or boxes from New Year's children's gifts, which are accumulated in every home abound after the New Year.
We use milk bags, dye and decorate with buttons and twigs. Glue with glue gun silicone glue. (I bought myself a glue gun in a hardware store, it was 3 times cheaper than in a needle shop).
Feeder from milk bag with buttons Feeder from a cardboard box Raffaelo box Christmas gift boxes
By the way, if there is no balcony, but only a window, then the cardboard device will come in handy, it will not break the window when you lower it out of the window onto the window sill. I'm afraid only in this house neighbors are not happy feeding pigeons in such proximity to cars. It would be necessary to make a hole in the box small, then the pigeons would not be able to feed on the windowsill, but the tits would rush back and forth and delight the child and the kitten with their turmoil. And so after all it's boring to look at the pigeon's ass sticking out of the box.
The girl hangs the feeder out the window (So much effort, and only the pigeon's ass is visible).
From plastic bottles, just.
The simplest homemade bird's dining room, allowing you to pour a full bottle of seeds, as a small hole does not allow the seeds to get enough sleep.
The easiest bird feeder
We make this according to the scheme:
How to make the simplest feeder from a plastic bottle Make it easy
From other available materials.
From the packaging for the cake.
Tortnitsa for tits
The idea of a wooden bar
The idea of the bird bar
From plastic buckets for mayonnaise.
Bucket for birds1 Bucket for birds2
It's rather difficult to do, but the look is very eco
When the holiday ends and the pulp of the coconut is eaten, the capacity of the coconut feeder will be filled with simple food in the form of seeds and the exotic restaurant will turn into a budget dining room.
Two options for one technology:
How and where to place dressing.
This is actually an important question. After all, we live among people and our interests or the interests of our feathered friends should not conflict with the interests of those around us.
If the droppings of birds that we land on the window or balcony regularly fall on the lower balconies or on the cars of our neighbors, expect trouble. And we need it?
To solve this problem is simple. Need to know a few things.
1 Feed pigeons only on the ground, far from car parks, balconies and window sills, so that pigeon droppings cause no damage to us and our neighbors.
2 Sparrows, unlike tits, do not fly away immediately, as soon as they have taken food, they sit in the same place where there is food and poop in the same place and the husk from the seeds is thrown in the same place. Such a good fellow will sit on the edge of the bottle or perch, take the seeds, peck and throw the husks back into the seeds or near. Spit, brat, all around. Tits are afraid of him and wait, sitting on the branches nearby, when he ate. Therefore, the container with seeds must be hung away from the wall of the house,
1. at least as my neighbors did, look at the video.
This yurok sat down, they winter with us. These birds are like sparrows, they sit until they are full and tits try not to let the titmouses fly, the seed is taken on the branch - the seed from the seed is pecked out.
2. Or place inside the balcony so that you can clean up after your guests.
Krmushka on the balcony Titmies love fat Serious feeder Tit on the slope of the window Fasten the feeder with dowels Feeding trough with a lid-very handy for filling seeds "Bread pipe"
A child living in this house called this construction “bread pipe”
What tits eat
For the feeding of tits suitable non-fried sunflower seeds, unsalted lard, fat, nuts (chopped, with soft flesh, such as walnuts) and an exotic option - coconut, suspended on a string.
What should not be given to birds
You can not give salted lard, fried seeds, smoked meats, rye bread.
Titmouses will not eat buckwheat, millet, or rice.
But the sparrows will eat and millet and crushed grains and raisins.
By the way, wild grapes (girlish grapes), on your balcony, too, will attract birds. Alpine jackdaw arrives to us, look at the video at the end of the article.
Treat for birds
You can simply hang the lard on a string or cut it into pieces and put it in a vegetable net. I made such a design on my trough, which is also a viewing platform for my cats in the summer.
The article House for Cats has a video in which you can see how my husband and son make such a viewing platform for our cats. In winter, cats do not go there, but the birds there is the expanse.
Pieces of bacon fixed on the grid
From chopped fat
Lard and seeds - a favorite and simple treat
Not only seeds are poured with melted lard, such a mixture as in this “heart” can be made by yourself (see instructions below), but you can buy bird food at the pet shop.
Give a good harden and hang in the shade Fat can be simply cut into slices and put into vegetable nets
Crush watermelon seeds, cereals, corn grains, wheat grains in a mortar, mix with sunflower seeds, spread out into molds, putting a string there, for which you can then hang the treat and pour with melted fat. Let it freeze in the cold.
Формочку окунуть в горячую воду и вынуть застывшее угощение, легонько потянув за веревочку.
Повесить на морозе в тени.
И вот теперь, после трудов, можно наслаждаться полученной возможностью наблюдать птичью суматоху за окном.
Всегда с Вами ЗдесьКрасиво .
Дорогие друзья! Я всегда с удовольствием читаю Ваши комментарии. Пишите о Ваших впечатлениях и пожеланиях, ведь это помогает сайту стать лучше и интереснее. And if you want to thank for the article, you can do it very simply - click on the buttons of your favorite social networks, share the article with friends.
Feeder from scrap materials: sleeves from toilet paper
- 1 toilet paper sleeve
- strong thread or fishing line
- knife (blunt or plastic).
1. Connect two branches or sticks to each other with hot glue or rope. You can skip this item if you make 4 holes in the sleeve (see below).
2. Make holes in the sleeve of toilet paper so that you can put two branches or sticks into them. It is better to make 2 holes: a little higher and 2 slightly lower (see image). This item is optional. The sleeve can be worn differently.
3. Put the peanut butter in a small bowl and apply a plastic knife to the surface of the cardboard sleeve of toilet paper.
4. Sprinkle the food over the top of the sleeve smeared with peanut butter.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for 4 more sleeves.
6. Tie a strong thread to the connected branches so that the construction can be hung.
7. Hang all the cardboard sleeves on the branch construction, and then hang everything on the tree.
Feeding trough from a plastic bottle. Option 1.
- any plastic bottle
- ribbon, thread or fishing line
- awl or drill (for making holes in the bottle and plastic cap)
- knife stationery or simple (if necessary)
- deep plastic plate.
1. Prepare a plastic bottle. Remove the label from it, wash well and dry.
2. Make a hole in the middle of the cover and plastic plate.
3. Attach the cover to the plate with the bolt and nut.
4. Make a hole in the bottom of the bottle (at the bottom).
5. Make a few holes on the side (4-5), at the neck of the bottle, so that the feed can get enough sleep when you flip the bottle. Holes can be made stationery knife, if the bottle is not too dense.
6. Take a ribbon, fold it in half, and tie the ends into a knot. Thread the ribbon through the hole in the bottom of the bottle.
Now you can pour food into the bottle, screw the cap on and turn it over. The tape will allow to hang the feeder on the branch.
Bird feeder from a plastic bottle. Option 2.
- strong thread or fishing line
- screwdriver or nail
- Knife (simple or stationery).
1. Remove the cap from the bottle and the cap from the container.
2. Place the bottle cap on the container cap (in the center) and circle around the pen, felt-tip pen or pencil.
3. Using a stationery knife, cut a hole in the lid from the container. The hole can be made slightly smaller than the diameter of the bottle cap.
4. At the edges of the cover from the container, make one hole at a time.
5. Make a hole in the center of the bottle cap. The hole should be large enough for feed for birds to spill out.
6. Put the cap on the bottle and then insert the bottle into the opening of the cap from the container.
7. Tie a strong thread to the bottle and put the cap on the container.
Now you can pour food into a bottle or pour water and hang the feeder on a tree.
Original feeding trough made of pumpkin
- wooden crossbars (smooth branches can be)
1. From the pumpkin to cut off the top.
2. Using a knife or screwdriver, make 4 holes in the pumpkin to insert branches or wooden crossbars in them. Make 2 opposite holes at the same height and two other opposite ones slightly lower - so you will have one branch a little higher than the other.
3. Take a thin wire and wind it around each end of the branches so that the feeder can be hung on a tree. Connect all the ends of the wire so that the feeder can hang evenly. Twist them into the hook.
The original idea of bird feeders do it yourself
This trough suitable for sub-zero temperatures.
- large plastic bottle
- small plastic bottle or small plastic container
- berries (optional)
1. Cut the bottom of a large and small plastic bottle. First you can make a hole with a knife and then cut with scissors. You will have the basis of the feeder.
2. Place the branches of spruce, berries and seeds in a circle in the cut bottom of a large bottle.
3. Place the bottom of a small bottle or a small plastic container in the center of the base.
4. Pour earth, sand or pebbles into a small container.
5. Tie sturdy threads or fishing line to the trough so that it can be hung.
6. If you put the feeder at night in the freezer, and then get and remove the plastic parts, you get an ice feeder.
How to make a feeder with your own hands, using a bottle
- small glass or plastic bottle (preferably with a cap)
- a small saucer or the bottom of a plastic bottle
- saw (if necessary)
- a screw a half ring (hook).
1. Using screws, join two small pieces of plywood. In this example, plywood dimensions are 11 x 15 cm and 31 x 15 cm.
2. Using the bottle, which you will later attach to the stand, mark the places where you need to attach two pieces of wire - one at the neck, the other at the bottom of the bottle.
3. The neck of the bottle should be about 3-4 cm above the base.
4. Drill the holes for the wire, push your wire through the bottom, clasp the bottle with it and fix it on the back of the plywood (you can twist the wire or fix it with a stapler).
5. Fill the bottle with seeds, twist the cap to not scatter the seeds, turn and insert the bottle between the wires, and put a saucer under it and remove the cap.
6. Screw the half-ring screw to the top of the plywood to hang the feeder.
Original do it yourself bird feeder
- can (preferably with a lid)
- sisal cable (sisal rope) or thick rope
- a piece of thin plywood, a branch or any small metal part
1. If you have a bank with a lid, then the lid must be bent in half.
2. Take a small branch, a piece of plywood or other small detail that birds can sit on and glue it to the can.
3. Insert the bent cover as shown in the image (slightly inside the can and above the metal part), and secure it with glue.
4. Take a thick rope or rope about 80 cm long, and start wrapping the can so that at the beginning and at the end there remain the long ends of this rope (30 cm). Use glue to secure the rope on the can.
5. Cut the rope, tie the ends to a knot and secure with glue.
Interesting idea of bird feeders
- 3/4 cup bird food
- 1 packet of gelatin
- twine or sturdy thread
- biscuit baking molds
- baking paper.
1. Mix gelatin with water (1/4 cup) and bring to a boil, stirring. Get the gelatin to completely dissolve.
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Add 3/4 cup of bird food. Can add more if fits.
4. Place the cookie cutters on baking paper and fill them with the resulting feed mixture.
5. Cut a piece of thread and tie its ends into a knot. Partially insert the thread into the mixture.
6. Leave the mixture to dry overnight, occasionally trying to turn over when there is time.
7. Remove the molds and hang the food on the tree.
How to make a bird feeder with your own hands, using tin cans
- 3 cans of paint or canned food
- a piece of twig or wooden stick
- paint (if desired).
You can paint the banks, and you can leave as is.
1. Glue a piece of branch to the bank so that the birds can land and eat.
2. Wrap a strong thread or ribbon around the jar and tie the ends to a knot. You can secure the tape with glue so that it stays better on the can.
3. Fill the jars with food and ready!
How to make a bird feeder from a plastic bottle
- plastic bottle (1.5 l or 5 l) or canister
- sharp scissors or stationery knife
1. Cut a large side opening in the bottle, preferably a through hole. Beforehand, it is better to draw a place with a marker in the marker.
2. To make it easier for the birds to hold, it is better to glue the edges of the bottle with tape.
3. Put sand on the bottom of the feeder so that it does not sway strongly.
4. Tie a rope to hang the feeder.
You can decorate the bottle to taste.
Here are similar troughs:
The content of the article
- 1 Easy way to give food to birds.
- 2 Use plastic bottles
- 2.1 In haste
- 2.2 Complicate the design
- 2.3 Glass Feeder
- 2.4 Video: making a plastic bottle feeder
- 3 Using glass
- 3.1 Video: Glass Feeder
- 4 Other available materials
- 4.1 Pumpkin
- 4.1.1 Video: Pumpkin Feeder
- 4.2 Spring from the sofa
- 4.3 Car air filter
- 4.4 Tea infuser
- 4.5 Old Breadbasket
- 5 Using various boxes
- 5.1 Box of tin
- 6 branches
- 7 Plywood
- 8 log
- 9 Of the rails
- 10 Tips and Tricks
- 11 Photos of original feeders
- 11.1 Video: original ideas brought to life
- 12 Drawings and sketches
In the courtyards and parks you can see bird feeders. If you want to design something special, extraordinary, then we will tell you how to make a bird feeder yourself.
Easy way to give food to birds.
The feeder can be made from improvised means, for example, to take a piece of board, plywood, or any flat and durable material at hand, and lay it up from the ground. So the feed will remain accessible to the birds.
This is a temporary measure, as precipitation may fall or the feed will simply be blown away by the wind. But such a feeder can save birds from starvation.
If you cut a hole in the side of the bottle, you can say that we did half the job. Next to the neck you need to use an awl to make 2 holes, insert the wire and fasten the feeder on a branch of a tree or shrub. If you feed food to the bottom, after a while it will be possible to see how birds flock there.
To prevent moisture from spoiling the food if sediment gets inside the bottle, drain holes should be made in the lower part of the tank.
We complicate the design
From a plastic bottle you can make a feeder with a “dispensing window”. Having chosen a suitable container, cut a small hole on one side and pierce the bottle with the scissors on the opposite side. Insert the wooden spoon with the handle forward so that it fits snugly into the pierced hole. The spoon should be positioned so that the grains roll into it, as the birds eat the food. The number of used spoons may be different, but most often there are two of them.
To hang the bottle, you can pierce the cork with an awl (or a nail), thread a nylon thread into it, and tie a knot inside the cork.
How to decorate a gray, unsightly bottle? If desired, you can make the feeder decoration of any garden.
You can make a simple design of a plastic bottle that will be attached directly to the glass using suction cups. The device of such a feeder is very simple, and for its manufacture you will need only 1 capacity and 2 suckers.
A small square or rectangular hole is made with a construction knife. With a soldering iron or a gas-heated nail on one side of the bottle, you need to make 2 holes, which will tightly fit the suction heads. In our case, the suckers were with hooks, so we first removed them, and then we secured them by inserting them into our places, but already inside the bottle.
On the positive side can be attributed to the fact that the birds can be observed almost close to them closer. A significant drawback is that the birds defecate near the feeder, so the glass and the ebb will have an unsightly look.
Glassware can be used to distribute food to feathered. Capacity must be securely fastened down the neck at a short distance from any site. Pour the food into this container and put it in place (holding the hole with your finger so that the grains do not spill out). As the feed is consumed, the bottle will flow to the site.
Other materials at hand
It is not difficult to come up with a lot of ways to feed the birds.
Tits like not only grains. It is possible to feed such gourmets by hanging on a branch a piece of unsalted bacon wrapped in a rope or wire.
If you buy groceries packaged in nets, you can also use this container by putting nuts there.
From a small bulk feed, you can make a ball (by adding flour and water) and also hang it in a mesh. In frosty weather, food can be mixed with vegetable oil. Milk or sour cream is not suitable for these purposes, as the bird's body does not accept such food.
In order to protect the food from precipitation, you can build a roof of plywood.
Pumpkin trough can be called waste-free production, as the birds first eat food, and then the very edible "dining room". In the pumpkin enough to cut holes and pull out the core.
You can cut the pumpkin in half, thread the rope with the knot tied at the bottom through both halves. To fix it in a disconnected state, it is necessary to install struts from the branches between the halves. In extreme cases, you can use pencils as supports. The upper edge of the rope, threaded through a pumpkin, is tied to a branch, and the feeder is ready to receive feathered guests.
Spring from the sofa
Such things and objects can go into action, which usually have nowhere else to apply.
If you have a spring from an old sofa, you can also use it, holding pieces of bread between turns. Such a feeder can be hung both vertically and horizontally.
Car air filter
A metal wire feeder can be seen on the shop counter, but a similar construction can be constructed from the car’s old paper air filter.
For manufacturing, you need to cut off the upper part of the filter, and remove the paper filling (you can, together with the inner or outer net, if you do not plan to fill the feed between them). Outside the filter, a wire is attached to the top of the mesh, which serves as a loop for hanging the feeder on a tree. A suitable feed is poured inside, and the cut off top of the filter can be used as a cover.
To reduce feed loss, you can glue the lid of a plastic bucket to the bottom of the trough. From the same cover you can make a canopy.
If you have an old kettle and it is a pity to throw it away, but it is already impossible to use it for its intended purpose, then you can make a feeder out of it. How to hang it? Drilling a hole in a faience product is quite ungrateful, so you can use hot melt glue. If there is a hole in the cap, then it is necessary to stick the ends of the rope into it and make a bundle inside. For safety it is better to tie a small washer. Now the lid can be glued to the teapot, the neck of which will now serve as an entrance for birds.
Old bread box
Looking into the barn or pantry, you can find things that are “hard to carry, but sorry to quit.” The category of such is the old metal breadbasket. A big fantasy for its placement is not required - he tied a rope and hung it on a branch.
Likewise, waste plastics can be used.
Using different boxes
It will also be easy to make a feeder out of a juice or wine box.
The box is cut one or two windows, so that the bottom was a small bowl for food.
When cutting a window, you can take care to protect the feed from precipitation. For this, a small visor is left, but so that it does not sink and close the entrance, it can be fixed with a nylon thread in the open position.
For the manufacture of large-sized feeders made of cardboard will require a large box. A window of the required size is cut out with a construction knife or scissors. If the box is very large, then from it you can cut out the product of a smaller size and wrap it with tape. It is important to realize that such a trough will last only until the first rain.
Often, manufacturers sell products in tin boxes, which can also be used for the manufacture of feeders.
In addition to the bank itself, we will need:
- metal or plastic chain - 2 m (4 segments of 0.5 m each),
- split ring (used for keys),
- small pin - 8 pcs. (you can do with knitting wire),
- alcohol marker,
- wire cutters or metal shears,
Now proceed to the manufacture.
- As accurately as possible you need to mark 4 points on the bank and transfer the same marks to the lid.
- The marks on the awl need to make holes for them to pass the cotter pin.
- Nippers cut the chain into four pieces of 50 cm.
- Passing the pin through the extreme link of the chain, insert it into the hole and from the inside of the can with pliers push the ends.
- Having measured 15 cm of the chain (starting from the can), we will sell the remaining 4 pins into it and fix the cover with them.
- Now in the ears of the free ends of the chain let's sell the split ring.
After hanging the feeder on a branch, look at the direction in which the slope of the box is, and in the bottom (inside) pierce it with an awl - this will be a drainage hole.
From large branches, you can collect the original feeder. To do the job you will need an ax, a hammer, nails and a little imagination.
Plywood products are strong enough, but they are afraid of moisture.
A simple version of the feeder consists of just a pallet with sides, two pieces of plywood, serving as a roof, and a rope connecting all parts. To fix the bottom and roof in the desired position, knots are tied on a rope.
Если есть желание и электролобзик, то можно сконструировать более сложную кормушку, воспользовавшись одним из представленных чертежей.
При заготовке дров встречаются поленья с трухлявой сердцевиной. Этот кусок ствола нам будет служить основанием. Нужно извлечь сердцевину. В полом стволе высверливаются окошки или вырезается его продольная часть. Торцы закрываются подобранными «бляшками», отпиленными от других стволов. Feeder from a tree trunk can be found in both horizontal and vertical versions.
For the manufacture will need:
For the manufacture of the roof and the bottom, you can use plastic or HDL (which you can find, since this material is sold only in large sheets).
In the manufacture of any design it is convenient and practical to use drawings in which the dimensions of parts are indicated. We will also use the drawing in order to cut out all the pieces in size.
They can be slightly treated with emery cloth.
First, we will collect a narrower part of the future trough, scoring 3 nails on each side.
Then the whole frame is assembled in a similar way. If the nails are short, you can use 5 pcs.
We will install the skeleton on the prepared bottom and outline it with a pencil outside - this is how we get the marking, on which it will be necessary to cut this part, and then to nail it.
In order to fix the top slats, use 4 screws - 1 pc. for each attachment point.
From the remaining rails we will make the upper part of the feeder, holding the parts together with screws. The final stage will be marking, sawing and fixing the roof. The junction of two sheets of roof sheathing can be hidden by nailing the rail corner from above.
There are some points that need to be considered in the manufacture and determination of the installation location of the feeder:
- You can not underestimate the cats, because they can get to the feeder, and then the birds will fly away or become prey to the domestic predator.
- The feeder should be made with a large roof, then it will not get much rain.
- The entrance to the feeder should not be small, since fear may be stronger than hunger, and birds may not take advantage of your hospitality.
- The design is better to do from moisture-resistant material, then it will last a long time. Other materials must be treated with water repellent compounds.
- If the feeder is too light or has a large windage, then with a gust of wind it can be turned upside down. Even a brief turning over will cause the entire feed to be on the ground. Lightweight construction needs to be weighed down.
Photos of original feeders