Supporters of invigorating drinks with great pleasure make a cup of coffee a part of their morning awakening ritual. However, some abuse it in large quantities, mistakenly believing that the drink is absolutely harmless. It should be understood that the accumulation of caffeine in a certain way affects the functioning of the most important systems and organs of a person. Today we arrange “debriefing” and find out in what volume coffee can be consumed daily.
The effect of coffee on the body
According to numerous reviews, we can conclude that some people do not consume the presented composition in doses, thinking that there is no harm from it. But nothing passes without a trace, respectively, and coffee affects health in the most direct way.
It helps to wake up in the morning, because it stimulates brain activity and literally says that it is time to wake up. A mug of high-quality beverage starts the work of the urinary system, and also prevents all diseases associated with it. What can we say about improving the performance of both mental and physical.
But coffee lovers, wanting to prolong this effect, begin to abuse the coffee drug. Irritability appears, the psycho-emotional environment is severely depleted, the drink is addictive. When a person drinks less than usual, he becomes lethargic and apathetic.
Since coffee causes dehydration, after its consumption it is imperative to drink at least 0.25 l. water. Otherwise, absolutely all metabolic processes will slow down, there will be no useful qualities from the drink. Worsen the work of the heart and blood system.
Rules of drinking coffee
In order not to harm your own body, it is necessary to study the subtleties of using a coffee drug.
- So, in a day you can drink an invigorating drink three times. As for the quantity, it should not exceed 150 ml. at a time. If you prefer coffee with milk, then the disposable volume is doubled.
- In no case can not take a drink on an empty stomach, first have breakfast. After one third of an hour, drink coffee and then a glass of filtered water at room temperature. Coffee can not be combined with sweets.
- If you consume the presented drink at frequent intervals, your body simply stops to perceive it. The effect will worsen. Therefore, every other day, reduce or increase the amount so that it is always different.
- Extreme mug consumed at least 5 hours before going to bed. Otherwise, invigorating properties will not let you fall asleep or the rest will be short, intermittent, nightmares may appear.
- It is highly desirable to give preference to freshly ground coffee. Such raw materials are the most useful, it concentrates all the most valuable substances and in the best way affects the state of health.
- Instant coffee, in turn, only irritates the mucous membrane of the esophagus, so there is a risk of developing peptic ulcer or gastritis. If you do not have the opportunity to prepare a drink, the amount of soluble composition should be reduced and drink no more than 1 cup per day.
Daily Caffeine Rates
- To calculate for sure in what “cup” volume it is allowed to drink a drink, it is necessary to determine how much caffeine is concentrated in one mug. Everyone knows that espresso is much tougher, for example, latte or American.
- The rules of caffeine for an adult person range from 300 mg. every day. This volume should not be exceeded, so as not to provoke a negative reaction of the heart muscle and nervous system.
- Since about 120 mg are concentrated in one mug of the invigorating drink, respectively, more than 3 cups should not be taken.
- Turkish coffee is the toughest, it has 170 mg., That is, you can drink 1.5 cups. Espresso is softer, in it 130 mg., It is allowed to use 2 cups. Cappuccino is allowed to drink in the amount of 3.5 cups.
- To reduce the negative effects of caffeine on the body, it is worth adding high percentage fat cream or high-fat milk.
When and how much to drink coffee
- Studies have shown that a caffeinated drink is best consumed in the morning. In a pinch, you can drink a cup of coffee a couple of hours before bedtime. Otherwise, you will encounter insomnia. After waking up in the mirror you will see a swollen face.
- After waking up, it is recommended to drink coffee exclusively with milk. On an empty stomach, a strong drink in its pure form is absolutely contraindicated. Throughout the day, it is allowed to consume no more than 4 small cups. In this case, the drink should not be burning or cold.
Which coffee is healthier
It is not recommended to consume decaf coffee. The problem is that the substance cannot be removed without the use of organic solvents. Such substances in the drink create hazardous chemical compounds. Such enzymes contribute to the development of oncological pathologies in the intestines and the human stomach.
One cup per day
- Pros. By drinking one cup of invigorating drink per day, a person can lower their blood pressure. Moreover, scientists have found that for those who consume a small amount of coffee per day, the arteries become healthier. Experts believe that this effect is due to the antioxidants contained in this drink. They increase the production of an element such as nitric oxide, which relaxes the walls of the arteries. That is why, when asked about how much coffee you can drink per day, the researchers answer with confidence that one cup will definitely not harm human health. By the way, it is this amount that can increase the mental potential of a gourmet.
- Minuses. Even one cup of invigorating drink a day can cause insomnia in a person.
Two cups a day
- Pros. This amount of drink can save a person from Alzheimer's disease. Although it should be noted that these findings were made by scientists on the basis of studies that were conducted only on animals. Thus, experts note that about 200 mg of caffeine per day (or 2 cups of coffee) help prevent the accumulation of proteins in the brain that cause Alzheimer's disease.
How much coffee can I drink per day? Answering this question, it should be noted that exactly two cups of this refreshing drink half an hour before workouts can significantly increase the athlete's performance, giving him more energy.
- Minuses. How many times can you drink coffee a day for pregnant women? At the time of carrying a child, the top limit for caffeine consumption is 200 mg. If you exceed this value, then the body can increase the level of adrenaline, which ultimately will increase the risk of miscarriage or stillbirth.
Three cups a day
- Pros. How many mugs of coffee can you drink per day? This amount of invigorating drink (3 cups) is allowed to be consumed if you need to reduce the likely risk of developing ovarian tumors or gallstone disease.
- Minuses. Drinking 3 or more cups of coffee per day significantly increases the risk of a heart attack.
Five cups a day
- Pros. Scientists from the cancer center, which is located in Tokyo, have found that consuming this amount of caffeine significantly reduces the risk (approximately 3/4) of serious liver damage. As you know, their conclusions were based on a study of about 90 thousand middle-aged people over 10 years.
- Minuses. According to years of research, this amount of coffee consumed per day can contribute to the development of osteoporosis. This is due to the fact that caffeine prevents the absorption of calcium, which ultimately leads to the development of this disease. Many experts dispute this assumption. They argue that to date there is no convincing evidence that coffee has a negative effect on the bones, although it is still not advised to drink this amount of drink.
Six cups a day
- Pros. Drinking such a huge amount of coffee a day, a person significantly reduces the risk of developing skin cancer (approximately 30%). This is due to the fact that antioxidants help protect skin cells.
- Minuses. This amount of invigorating drink can lead to dehydration. In addition, 6 cups of coffee a day can cause fear, stress, depression and other negative phenomena. Scientists explain this fact by the fact that in large doses caffeine activates hormones that are responsible for the "anxious" center in the brain. In addition, six cups of invigorating drink, drunk in one day, can lead to a significant increase in blood pressure, irritable bowel syndrome and the development of vascular and heart diseases. In this regard, coffee lovers should remember that such a quantity of caffeine can cause them rather serious deviations in health.
Let's sum up
Now you know how many cups of coffee you can drink per day without harm to health. It should also be noted that not only this or that amount of invigorating drink, but also its quality can affect your well-being. That is why it is recommended to choose only natural coffees and brew it yourself.
How much can you drink coffee per day: count the cups
The average safe indicators approved by doctors are from one hundred to two hundred milligrams of caffeine at one time. Safe three teaspoons of natural ground or two spoons of instant coffee, which may contain one cup of drink. Daily dose - from two to three such cups. This is the question of how much coffee you can drink per day.
You need to understand the difference between a safe dose of caffeine and the benefits of real coffee. Yes, two cups of instant drink per day will not bring much harm to the body, but you can’t expect any benefit from them.
Another thing is natural ground grains of proper roasting. Just brewed coffee can be a real elixir. Contrary to popular belief, it does not increase, but reduces pressure, normalizes weight, prevents senile dementia, cancer and other diseases. However, exceeding the recommended dose can be fatally dangerous to health.
Here are the data obtained by scientists in the study of the popular grain drink (we are talking about natural, and not freeze-dried coffee in the amount of 100 mg of caffeine per cup).
1. One cup per day promotes healing of the arteries, lowers blood pressure and does not cause any harm.
2. Two cups a day can prevent Alzheimer's disease - the scourge of modern times.
3. Three cups reduces the risk of ovarian cancer, prevents gallstone disease. On the other hand, with three cups of coffee a day, you can already talk about the health risks: this amount of caffeine increases the risk of heart attack.
4. Four cups can be considered the prevention of cancers of the larynx, oral cavity, prostate gland, and the development of diabetes. The danger of such a quantity of coffee is rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory processes in the joints.
5. Five cups a day, according to some scientists, reduces the risk of liver disease, but contributes to the development of osteoporosis.
6. Six cups is a brute force. However, natural coffee contains antioxidant substances, so scientists suggest that 600 mg of caffeine can protect against skin cancers. Payback for overdose - dehydration, irritable bowel syndrome, hypertensive crisis, heart attacks, mental disorders (fear, depression, etc.).
To answer the question of how much coffee you can drink per day, it is enough to relate the benefits and harm of the drink to the state of your health. Despite the undoubted advantages of the coffee ration, you should not exceed a safe dose of coffee.
In general, the drink stimulates the activity of the brain and the organism as a whole, protects teeth from caries, accelerates metabolic processes, increases efficiency, expands and strengthens blood vessels, and has a beneficial effect on the liver, heart, and endocrine system.
How much coffee can you drink per day: how much caffeine is there?
Ingenious Balzac could not imagine his life without coffee and drank every day ... no less than 40 cups of an invigorating drink! For an ordinary person, this amount of caffeine is a real poison. How much can you drink coffee per day? Here is the question that is really important to find the right answer.
In fact, you need to count not the cups, but the amount of caffeine contained in the serving. It is he who represents a health hazard. Therefore, there is a difference what kind of coffee to drink: fiery espresso or watery American. Here's how to calculate your daily dose (the amount of caffeine is indicated on the small and large average cup):
• capuccino - from 70 to 80 milligrams,
• espresso - from 80 to 135 milligrams,
• homemade coffee from the Turks - from 115 to 175 milligrams,
• soluble in caffeine - from 65 to 100 milligrams,
• caffeine-free instant - no more than 4 milligrams.
The amount of caffeine is influenced by many additional factors, from the variety of the method of preparation of the drink. There are ways to reduce the caffeine factor. The most common and delicious - just add milk to the drink. Due to the milk component, caffeine becomes less aggressive.
The caffeine concentration becomes lower if you drink water immediately after a cup of coffee. That is why in good cafes and restaurants, along with coffee, be sure to serve a glass of water.
A great way to reduce the level of caffeine in homemade coffee beans in the Turk is to use hot water to pour grains. The cap of the foam rises faster, the caffeine stands out less. You can additionally strain the drink through a strainer so that there is no thick.
How much can you drink coffee a day: a complete ban?
What is the risk of a person who drinks coffee? At a minimum, he may develop chronic insomnia, headache, hand tremor, irritability, and rapid fatigue. These are all signs of caffeine poisoning.
A complete ban on coffee should be introduced for people who have been diagnosed with serious diseases: diabetes, gastric ulcer, gastritis, pancreatitis, any diseases of the cardiovascular system, hypertension.
Instant coffee drink is not the best choice for perfectly healthy people. Not only is there no nutrients, minerals, tannins, vitamins, organic acids, tannins. The fact is that such a product can be considered a real coffee only a quarter. All the rest is preservatives, dyes, corn starch and other food debris.
Caffeine-free instant coffee is generally a misunderstanding, because there is not even caffeine, but harmful food chemistry is abundant. If there is no choice, then it is better to buy more expensive varieties, necessarily in a glass or metal jar.
How much coffee can I drink per day if only instant drink is available? A safe amount is only one cup of instant coffee, regardless of the presence or absence of caffeine.
Excess caffeine - can cause poisoning?
Everything is good in moderation. Even the most useful medicinal products can become poison if you forget about the norm. Coffee is no exception. Regular, immeasurable consumption of it will not only cause significant harm to health, but also cause addiction with the need to constantly increase the dosage.
A comparison of caffeine addiction with alcoholic, narcotic, or nicotine addiction is not appropriate. However, in captivity of coffee, people also face serious problems, experiencing discomfort at both the physical and psychological levels.
To say that the body tolerates coffee poisoning can be in the following cases:
- the appearance of headache
- increased irritability,
- excessive activity
- panic attacks
- trembling in the body.
All of these signs indicate an excess amount of caffeine and are a signal to revise the rate of consumption of the drink. Adjusting the dosage, you need to understand that a lot depends on the recipe of cooking, the quality of grains, roasting. For example, espresso is an order of magnitude stronger than US, diluted with milk or water.
Choosing between natural and instant coffee, not doubting it is worth giving preference to the first, even though it will take more time to prepare.
Натуральные молотые кофейные зерна не только обладают более насыщенными вкусом и ароматом, они на порядок безопаснее растворимых гранул. В такой кофе не добавляют ароматизаторы и другие вредные добавки. Кроме того, в растворимом напитке уровень кофеина выше чем в натуральном, причем речь идет о его синтетическом аналоге, опасном для здоровья, поэтому именно растворимый кофе при отравлении наносит более ощутимый вред.
Как рассчитать норму кофеина: регулирование потребления
To stay healthy, full of vitality and good mood, you need to monitor not only nutrition and water balance. Health care for coffee lovers is also to control the caffeine consumed per day. Below is the number of caffeine in different ways to make a drink. Based on these data, the rate of caffeine per day can be derived individually, taking into account age, health status, physical activity.
Specify the volume of coffee cups
Before discussing how many cups of coffee or coffee drink it is recommended to drink a relatively healthy adult per day, you need to decide on the counting standards. For some, the cup is about 100 ml of liquid, for others - a 350-gram mug. Someone pours half a spoonful of powder, others cook a full Turk.
To calculate the average value from which one could make a start, scientists took the unit of measurement for the Coffee Unit, KE: 100 mg of caffeine. This dose contains:
- In 50-60 ml of espresso - a double portion of the drink,
- 200 ml of boiled coffee beans.
For most people, 400 mg of caffeine per day is conditionally safe, i.e.:
- 8 cups or 4 double espresso,
- 800 ml brewed in the Turk.
Single safe dose at a time - 2 KE, 200 mg of caffeine:
- 4 cups or two double espresso,
- 400 ml of Turkish coffee (many people drink it, in large cups).
Between doses of these doses, it is desirable to withstand about 6 hours, during which time caffeine will be eliminated from the body. If you drink smaller volumes, 1 KE at a time, you can brew a new cup in 3-4 hours.
Caffeine-Free, Caffeine-Free Instant Coffee
How many coffee spoons do we put on a cup? Everyone has their own habits and tastes, and definitely difficult to say. On average, it is believed that 100 mg of caffeine, that is, 1 KE, is:
3 teaspoons with a slide - for ground coffee,
2 teaspoons of instant coffee.
If you put more or less, count the amount of caffeine, starting from these values.
What matters is the amount of dry matter filled, and a little less - its concentration. 2 tablespoons for half a cup of water, and for a full cup, are relatively equal in harm to the body, although the more water - the less, a little safer.
Natural coffee, ground
A drink made from ground roasted grains in adequate volumes has a positive effect. Research institutes proved that 4 CU per day reduces:
- 85% risk of liver cirrhosis
- At 50% - the risk of cancer in the liver,
- At 65% - the risk of Alzheimer's disease,
- 80% risk of Parkinson’s disease
- 20% - the risk of depression,
- 30% - the risk of diabetes mellitus type II,
These are 8 servings of espresso or 4 servings of coffee boiled in a 200 ml pot.
With an increase in the amount of the drink, the whole positive effect disappears as there is an increase in the load on all the systems of the body, especially the cardiovascular one.
How many cups of instant coffee can you drink per day
Despite the fact that the caffeine content in it is less, and 1 KE is about 500 ml of drink, that is, you can drink up to 2 liters a day, this is calculated by caffeine.
But in addition to caffeine, dry matter contains stabilizers, emulsifiers, dyes, sometimes a filler is added, for example, from corn flour. All this is evaporated by acids and chemical solvents that are not completely washed out of the drink. Even in the most expensive natural coffee powder - no more than 25%, and more often - about 15% at all.
There is an ecological instant coffee made without the use of chemicals, but it is very expensive, and is not sold in domestic stores.
Scientists do not advise constantly to use soluble powders and granules of coffee drink in general, but in general, a cup in 200 ml of one-time will not cause any special damage to health.
How many cups of decaffeinated coffee can you drink per day without harm
200 ml of the drink contains about 5 mg of caffeine. It is very small, and in terms of caffeine, the drink is almost harmless, even if you drink it in liters.
But it works the same principle as with instant coffee. In addition to caffeine, as part of the drink, there are other components. Only soluble are chemical additives and solvents, and natural decaffeinated natural acids, sugars and fats. In large volumes, they negatively affect the gastrointestinal tract and the cardiovascular system.
That is, it is desirable to limit the decaffeinated drink: up to 4 cups of 200 ml per day.
Drinks and Cocktails
Not all coffee lovers drink pure black drink. Many people add milk, cream, foam, syrups, and more. How to calculate safe volumes of coffee with additives per day?
The principle is about the same. Milk slows down the absorption of active substances, which sparing affects the heart and blood vessels, but in general, does not change the picture too much. Most cocktails are prepared on the basis of espresso, that is, you can make calculations based on it.
- Latte - cocktail approximately in 200 ml, sometimes - 400 or 450 ml. For a 200 ml serving, 1 double espresso serving is used, which means 1 KE. In double, 400 ml, usually two such servings, that is, a large latte should drink no more than 2 glasses per day, the standard is 4. By adding a large amount of milk, you can slightly increase the dose if you usually drink a lot of coffee and do not experience negative effects: 3 cups large or 5-6 glasses of standard latte.
- Cappuccino - an average portion - 150 - 180 ml, that is, a portion of double espresso, to which milk and foam are added. 4-5 standard glasses or 2-3 large glasses a day with a break between them for 3-4 hours will not harm health.
Some important recommendations from doctors:
If you would like to reduce the negative effects of caffeine on the body, listen to the following tips:
- Choose Arabica, not Robusta, it has less caffeine, although the specific variety and place of growth, as well as the method of processing and brewing grains are important.
- If you drink coffee about half an hour after the meal, you can add yourself one cup. If on an empty stomach - remove at least one.
- Try not to drink a new cup if you drank the previous one less than 3 hours ago.
- In stressful situations, with lack of sleep or weakness, reduce the number of permissible cups by one. The body is weakened, and sharper perceives stimulants.
- Smokers also should reduce the safe dose of coffee per day by one cup, as nicotine constricts blood vessels, and the heart beats faster, it doubles the load.
Conclusions: how many cups of coffee can you drink per day
- Scientists have calculated a safe dose for a healthy adult: 400 mg of caffeine per day. Approximately 8 standard espresso or 4 servings of Turkish coffee in 200 ml.
- The instant drink contains less caffeine and more chemistry, so no more than 1 cup per day. Decaffeinated also do not drink more than 4-5 cups, because there are a lot of natural acids, which are also not useful for the heart and blood vessels.
- Cappuccino and latte can drink up to 5-6 cups per day, if you mean a cup of 150-200 ml of drink.
First you need to decide on the volume of the cup itself. Traditionally, it ranges from 70 to 100 ml. But, you see, aesthetes using these miniature vessels are now practically gone. Most of us drink coffee from ordinary tea cups, or even prefer glasses of 300-350 ml.
In the majority of studies on coffee, a “cup” is understood to be just traditional coffee ware with a volume of about 100 ml.
Absolutely safe dose that promotes healing of the arteries and a little lowering pressure (contrary to popular belief) - one cup per day.
Two cups, According to scientists, help prevent the occurrence of Alzheimer's disease.
Three cups can reduce the risk of ovarian cancer and gallstone disease. But just at three cups a day, the risk zone begins - this amount of caffeine is already quite capable of adversely affecting heart activity.
Four cups - prevention of tumors of the oral cavity, larynx and such an unpleasant disease as diabetes. But in this case, the risk of rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory processes in the joints will increase.
Five cups reduce the risk of liver disease, but increase the likelihood of osteoporosis.
Six cups - this is the limit. Overdose can result in irritable bowel syndrome, heart attacks, hypertensive crisis, and even mental disorders.
Don't forget the caffeine!
But, in truth, just counting the cups is not enough. For an accurate result, you need to know the amount of caffeine in the drink. The average permissible dose for a healthy person is no more than 300 mg daily, so that, knowing how much coffee is in one form or another, you can easily calculate the daily intake rate. For example, in espresso caffeine content is 80-135 mg, in cappuccino - 70-80 mg, in home-made natural cooking coffee - 115-175 mg, in instant coffee - 65-100 mg. The amount of caffeine in the drink can be reduced by adding milk or lemon - coffee does not lose its taste, and its action becomes less aggressive.
How to drink coffee properly
In order to enjoy the taste of your favorite drink without consequences, it is worth remembering a few simple rules.
- The optimal mode of use - three times a day in small cups of 100-120 ml. If you prefer a latte or cappuccino, the cup volume can be increased.
- Do not drink coffee on an empty stomach - it is harmful! It is better to do this immediately after a meal or after some time. But do not forget that if you drink coffee after a meal, do not accompany this event sweets - so you can overload the stomach.
- The sensitivity of the body to caffeine is reduced with regular consumption of coffee, so for true coffee lovers, the number of cups at the upper limit of normal is 5-6 daily.
- It is advisable to drink the last cup of coffee 4-5 hours before bedtime, otherwise the stimulating effect of caffeine can spoil the whole night's rest.
- Use only natural grain or ground coffee. In soluble there are no nutrients, and in cheap varieties, the composition is usually generally unknown. But instant coffee has a very hard effect on the stomach, especially if you drink it on an empty stomach. It is believed that its regular reception can cause the development of gastritis. If you really want coffee, and the availability of only soluble - reduce the rate of consumption to one cup per day.