Biscotti or, as such a dessert is called differently, biscotto is traditional Italian cookies, which have many different variations and are prepared both for holidays and on weekdays. All Italians love them very much and often indulge themselves with this delicious dish.
The name of the cookie is translated as "twice baked", and it reflects the main feature of cooking. The fact is that first the biscotti is baked as a whole layer, and then cut with a knife into portions and sent to the oven again.
You can store such a dessert, by the way, for up to three or four months, because it is rather dry.
As for the history of the appearance of the dessert, it is believed that it was first cooked in the small town of Prato around the XIII century. And at that time, biscotti was taken with them on long journeys, and also used as provisions during wars. And it is also believed that this cookie was very fond of the famous traveler Christopher Columbus.
How to cook?
How to cook real biscotti? In general, there is no single recipe, there are many different options for toppings: nuts, raisins, cranberries and other berries, sesame, oranges and even dried lemons. As a spice often used cinnamon, vanilla. In addition, the filling can be immediately added to the dough or laid on it later during the formation of the roll.
Below are several options for making delicious biscotti.
This option is inherently classic and, perhaps, the simplest. To prepare you will need:
- 350 grams of wheat flour,
- 150 grams of sugar
- 150 grams of almond
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (baking powder for dough),
- 1 bag of vanilla,
- 3 eggs,
- zest of one lemon,
- vegetable place.
Very tasty chocolate biscotti with nuts and cinnamon.
List of required ingredients:
- 250 grams of flour,
- 200 grams of powdered sugar
- 2 eggs,
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla essence (or two or three bags of vanillin),
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder,
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon,
- 100 grams of dark chocolate
- 100 grams of almond
- 100 grams of pine nuts.
Bake delicious biscotti with raisins and walnuts, they will delight even gourmets.
Here is what you need:
- 120 grams of sugar
- 2 eggs,
- 120 grams of butter,
- 1 and ¾ cup flour,
- a quarter spoonful of salt
- half a glass of raisins
- 1 teaspoon baking powder,
- 1 cup of walnuts.
Cooking biscotti with this recipe is easy:
How to serve?
Biscotti texture is quite dense, and the cookies themselves are hard and dry, so they are usually served with drinks. And it can be either coffee or tea, or dessert wine. And these cookies are taken to dip into the glass so that they soften. The result is a delicate and exquisite dessert!
- You can choose any recipe and at the same time use a variety of toppings, for example, candied fruits, dried berries, any nuts or even seeds. Everything will depend on your imagination.
- It is advisable to cut the dough into pieces of medium thickness: about 1.5-2 centimeters. Too thin can crumble, and thick will be uncomfortable to eat.
- You can cut the baked layer both straight and diagonally. But the second option is more attractive.
- Serve Biscotti with any drinks!
Favorite dessert - cookies
Each of us has our favorite dessert, with which you can drink tea. But young children prefer to feast on cookies. It is very convenient to hold in hand, it is tasty and, as a rule, small in size. In stores, cookies are sold a wide variety of types. But would it not be better to try making this tasty delicacy yourself? It will be no worse than the store, and if you still have a signature recipe, it is even better. We offer you to learn how to cook a real Italian dessert.
Many of us already know how to make tiramisu, pizza and pasta "Carbonara" - popular Italian dishes. We suggest you to replenish your collection with a delicious dessert - biscotti (the recipe and cooking features will be discussed in this article). In your free time, bake enough of it so that you can get and eat it if necessary. There is, however, one nuance, no matter how much a given cookie is prepared, it ends quickly anyway.
So the name of the refined and very unusual delicacy is translated. Small children like to call them crackers. After all, biscotti is very hard and tough, so it is best to eat them, soaking in your favorite drink. Let's return to the name. We are used to the fact that cookies are usually baked in the oven only once, and then it can be eaten. But with Italian cookies is another story. This dessert is put in the oven twice. On the intricacies of its manufacture, you will learn when you fully read the article.
We suggest you to get acquainted with some interesting information that relates to Italian biscotti cookies (the recipe and the necessary ingredients will be described below). Imagine that:
- This delicacy was one of the most beloved by Christopher Columbus, a famous traveler and discoverer of new lands.
- Not many desserts can be stored for several weeks, and even more so for months. Many readers do not even realize that there are exceptions to this rule. This applies to biscotti cookies. Just imagine that an Italian delicacy can be stored for several months. It is very convenient to take it with you on trips.
- Cookies were first cooked in the 13th century. He was taken along by warriors on long campaigns, the purpose of which was to conquer new lands.
There are many options for making Italian desserts. Next, we will present to you the classic version, which is very popular not only in Italy, but also far beyond its borders.
So, what do we need for making biscotti cookies (the recipe will be described below)? We list all the necessary ingredients:
- Wheat Flour - Take one whole glass and add another half.
- Nuts - half a glass (in the classic version almonds are used). You can take hazelnuts, walnuts, cashews, cedar or peanuts.
- Baking powder - one teaspoon.
- Sugar - half a glass (you can a little more).
- Eggs - best to take three.
- Vanillin - one sachet is enough.
- Sunflower oil - one or two tablespoons.
Here is the list of products for cooking classic biscotti. You can try other options that add dark or milk chocolate, as well as other ingredients.
Biscotti: recipe with photos (step by step)
Take up the preparation of very tasty cookies. The most important thing is that you can cook any amount of biscotti and not worry about storing it. Within a few months, it will retain its unique taste.
The sequence of actions will be as follows:
- Wheat flour before using is best sifted through a sieve, and then add baking powder.
- Now you need to do almonds. In order to easily peel the nuts, you need to take a deep bowl, boil water, put almonds for a few minutes. After five to ten minutes, the liquid must be drained. Almonds are easy to peel.
- Take the pan, put it on the stove and heat it up a little. Now pour the peeled nuts. Stir for a few minutes. This procedure is necessary so that the almonds become dry again.
- Take the pan or deep bowl. Break eggs into it, add sugar. Beat the ingredients thoroughly with a mixer.
- Gradually add flour to the resulting mass. Everything is well whipped. Open the bag of vanilla and add to the flour.
- It was the turn of nuts. Dried almonds gently add to the bulk, mix everything well.
- You can take lemon rind and add it too.
- Knead from the paste a homogeneous mass in the form of a loaf. You can make them two or three.
- Turn on the oven. We need parchment paper, which needs to make a baking sheet. Oil it with sunflower oil. We put the formed dough, leave a small distance between the loaves.
- Put the pan in the oven. The approximate baking time is thirty five minutes.
- Take out the baking sheet. We give time to bake a little cold.
- Take a knife and cut into pieces of medium thickness, which we again lay out on a baking sheet.
We put in the oven. After ten to fifteen minutes we get the finished products.
What can be served
Biscotti biscuits (the recipe is simple enough) has an unusual taste, but it is very hard in its consistency. Therefore, it is best to serve this dessert with some drinks. Perhaps readers will have the question: "With what exactly?" The answer is very simple: "With those that you like the most!" Some people prefer jelly, the second - tea, the third - coffee, and the fourth - other drinks. Biscotti (recipe with photos can be found in this article) is ideally combined with any tastes. You can even try a glass of good wine with this dessert. We think that you will definitely like this combination. Biscotti can be dipped in any drink and enjoy the resulting taste. In order for the Italian cookies to turn out the way it should be, use some tips from experienced chefs. We will tell about it further.
If you want the biscotti (the classic recipe is described in the article) turned out crisp and extremely tasty, we advise you to pay attention to some subtleties. We will tell about it further. What to look for:
- To make biscotti cookies (the recipe and the required number of ingredients are indicated in the article), take brown sugar. You ask what it is? Sugar made from sugar cane and not subjected to the process of cleaning and bleaching. It can be bought at any supermarket. You will need it in order to sprinkle them dough. Thanks to this, the finished product, when cooked in the oven, will acquire a beautiful color.
- For a classic biscotti recipe, it is best to take hazelnuts or almonds. It is preferable to leave them whole; Also in the dough, you can add raisins and cranberries.
A very tasty version of the Italian dessert is made using chocolate and cinnamon.
Italian biscotti (recipe and cooking features are presented in this article) is a very tasty delicacy that all members of your family will surely like. You will not spend much time, but your close ones will be completely delighted. Serve the biscotti to the table (the recipe can be found in this article) with milk or tea!
How to cook biscotti: tips
Every Italian pastry master has his own signature biscotti recipe. It turns out so thanks to the uncomplicated secrets that will help us prepare our perfect biscotti.
- If conventional flour is replaced by a pastry shop, which contains less protein and, consequently, gluten-forming capacity, the finished products will be more airy.
- To biscuits from ordinary flour were not excessively coarse and dense, you need to add a spoonful of rice to it. So bakery flour on the properties will be similar to the pastry, and the finished dough will become more loose and soft.
- It is better to knead the dough with your hands in order to feel its consistency. It should be supple, soft and not too dry. An excessively wet and sticky dough can be sprinkled with flour and even its structure.
- The main advantage of biscotti is a long shelf life. They stale slowly and can be stored in hermetically sealed containers for up to three weeks. Therefore, such "crackers" can be prepared in large quantities for future use, packaged in a tin container and always be ready for the arrival of unexpected guests.
- If the modest appearance of biscotti is camouflaged with melted chocolate or icing, then they will no longer look like crackers, but like exquisite pastries.
- In Italy, there is a tradition to pack your own cooked biscotti in a gift tin box and give for holidays to friends and relatives.
Italian chefs invented biscotti as an appetizer for sweet wine. Since then, dry dessert is usually served exclusively in the company of drinks — traditional coffee or tea, wine, milk, juice. In Italy, the use of biscotti is a ritual. During a siesta, Italians like to enjoy their holiday with a glass of dessert wine, dipping crispy biscotti into it. Why don't we learn from them this wonderful tradition?
The secrets of making real biscotti
baking is simple, kids, homemade cakes with photos
The real miracle of the Italian confectioners is biscuit cookies. No less wonderful is the fact that it can also be created by novice chefs. In childhood, my brother and I called these cookies “sukhiriki” and often asked my mother to make them, we really liked them. Then, at 14-15 years, already baked them themselves. True, we did not know then that our croutons have such a beautiful name - “biscotti”.
In the process of cooking, we will put the dough baked in two stages. First, in the form of sausages, then - in the form of crackers. It turns out that the very word “biscotti” means something like “cooked twice.”
flour - 400-450 g (two glasses of 300 ml)
walnuts - 100 g
black raisins - 100 g
brown sugar - 120 g (1/2 cup)
liquid honey - 1 1/2 tbsp.
vanilla sugar - 1/2 tsp
egg - 5 pcs. (2 pieces entirely and yolks - 3 pieces)
butter - 50 g
baking powder - 10 g
chocolate droplets - 50 g (optional)
Put the butter in a glass dish and drown it for about 20 seconds in the microwave. The same can be done on the fire in a saucepan.
Raisin pour boiling water to wash it and soak.
Sift flour, add vanilla sugar, baking powder, salt.
In a separate bowl, break 2 eggs, the remaining 3 eggs take only the yolks. Add brown sugar and honey to the eggs. I want to draw your attention that brown sugar, of course, can be replaced by ordinary white. But if you still want to try real biscotti, buy brown sugar better. Let me explain why: brown sugar will give our biscotti a unique and very appetizing color. Even raw dough looks with it, as if ready.
Thoroughly mix the sugar, eggs and honey with a mixer.
Continuing to interfere, pour in melted butter.
And now the magic begins. Add the walnuts. Attention! Cut them do not need, they must remain large. Also add raisins. By the way, the larger it is, the better. If there are chocolate drops - time to pour them into the dough. So beautiful and already there is an anticipation of something very tasty :). That's why I love to cook.
Now gradually add flour. Here, the mixer is not our assistant. Stir with a spatula. The dough turns out pretty cool. Если оно липнет к рукам (а такое вполне возможно, ведь оно содержит мед), то присыпьте его еще мукой. В итоге у нас получается вот такое уже съедобное на вид тесто, делим его на 4 части.
From each part we roll sausages with a diameter of 5 centimeters.
Then put them in a preheated oven for 20 minutes. The aroma will go from the kitchen simply magical! We take out the sausages, cool for three minutes. The oven does not need to be turned off, it will still shoot in this recipe 🙂
With a sharp knife, cut the sausages diagonally to make crackers. Of course, in the path of your knife will come across hard nuts. Try to cut the sausages gently, so that the croutons are smooth. Maybe immediately they will crumble, but then you get the hang of it. Put the crackers on a baking sheet, cut up and put in the oven for 5 minutes.
Our gorgeous biscotti ready! Try them with a cup of milk - this is the number one combination, as well as tea or coffee.
Probably, indeed, the ability to cook tasty is a great gift, as well as the simplest and most pleasant opportunity to delight your loved ones! Peace to your home and more tasty gatherings with family and friends!
The basic recipe for biscotti was written down in the 19th century by the Italian pastry chef Matei Antonio and it contained only 3 main components: flour, sugar and eggs. In the form of additives traditionally used unrefined almonds and pine nuts. Now there are already a lot of various recipes for biscotti, and in Italian institutions you can find other types of it. Now cinnamon, pistachios, anise, orange peel, hazelnuts, seeds, chocolate, fruits, dried fruits, liqueurs and extracts are added to the dough. And for the attractiveness of biscotti coated with chocolate icing.
Italian biscotti is always served with drinks, because no matter how tasty they are, but, in fact, hard rusks. Products are usually dipped in red wine, coffee, beer, tea, milk, juice and other beverages.
Bisconny Cookies Recipe
- Wheat flour - 350 g
- Sugar - 150 g
- Almond - 150 g
- Soda - 1 tsp. (can be replaced with baking powder or baking powder)
- Vanillin - 1 bag
- Eggs - 3 pcs.
- Vegetable oil - for greasing baking sheet
- Lemon zest - with 1 fruit
A time-honored recipe - biscotti cookies with chocolate and almonds. Insanely amazing aroma, delicate flavor with crunching nuts and melting chocolate in the mouth.
- Flour - 160 g
- Butter - 100 g
- Eggs - 1 pc.
- Vanillin - 1.4 tsp.
- Sugar - 80 g
- Salt - Pinch
- Sweet wine - 25 ml
- Cinnamon - on the tip of a knife
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp.
- Orange peel with half fruit
- Chocolate - 70 g
- Almond - 70 g
Step by step preparation:
- Whip eggs, vanillin and sugar with a mixer until airy foam.
- To the egg mass, put the flour crumb.
- Add cinnamon, orange zest and pour in wine.
- Put the chocolate in the bag and use the rolling pin to detail it.
- Replace the dough, put whole almonds and chocolate chips.
- Wrap the dough with cling film and put it in the fridge for half an hour.
- After that roll the bars no more than 8 cm thick and 2 cm wide. Put them on a greased baking sheet.
- Send the items to a preheated oven to 180 ° C for 20 minutes. During this time it will bake a little. In this case, the cookie should remain soft, and not become crispy and golden.
- Remove the bascotti from the roaster, let it cool slightly, but not completely, cut it into thin slices and put it back on the baking sheet. Return them back to the oven and dry for no more than 10 minutes.
Almond is an exquisite walnut, which baking gives aroma, taste and satiety. Prepare with him amazingly delicious biscotti cookies without a drop of fat. And in the absence of almonds, you can use walnuts or other nuts.
- Flour - 400 g
- Eggs - 4 pcs.
- Sugar - 200 g
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp.
- Vanillin - 1 tsp.
- Raisin - 50 g
- Almond - 150 g
Step by step preparation:
- Separate one egg into white and yolk. Remove the protein and hammer the remaining eggs to the yolk. Beat them with a mixer until fluffy with sugar and vanillin.
- Dry the almonds in a frying pan until golden and chop into large pieces with a knife.
- Pour the egg mass into the flour and mix it with your hands to make the dough tight.
- Add raisins, almonds and mix again.
- Divide the dough into 3 parts, and each of them roll up log 4 cm wide.
- Put the sausages on a baking sheet covered with baking parchment.
- The remaining protein grease the dough.
- Send the products to be baked in a heated oven to 180 ° C for 30 minutes until golden brown appears. Willingness to check a wooden splinter - it should be dry.
- Remove the finished product from the oven, allow to cool slightly and cut into 1 cm crosswise.
- Put the croutons on a baking sheet and dry for 10 minutes.
Fans of chocolate and coffee baking just like chocolate biscuits biscuits. This is a true delicacy of brown color with an amazing aroma.
- Butter - 60 g
- Sugar - 150 g
- Eggs - 2 pcs.
- Cocoa powder - 40 g
- Flour - 190 g
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp.
- Salt - Pinch
- Nuts - 100 g
Step by step preparation:
- Into the oil mixture alternately inject the eggs and continue to beat.
- Add cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Knead the dough gently with a spatula, as the mixer is unlikely to cope with this task.
- Add crushed roasted nuts, for example, hazelnuts, to the dough and knead again.
- Form the dough with a sausage, which is pressed down to make it 2 cm thick and send to bake in an oven heated to 180 ° C for 25-30 minutes. Check product readiness with a skewer, it should be dry.
- Let the finished bascotti cool to a warm texture, slice it diagonally into 1-1.5 cm slices and place on a baking sheet.
- Send the croutons to dry in the oven for 10 minutes.
Biscotti has a variety of cooking options. But they are all based on the classic recipe. And it is not complicated at all. Before you start baking, make sure that you have in the kitchen:
- flour - a little more than a glass,
- eggs - 3 pcs.,
- icing sugar - 150 g,
- ground coffee - 30 g,
- orange peel (from one big fruit),
- baking powder - 0.5 tsp,
- a pinch of salt.
First, mix the sifted flour with coffee and baking powder. Add raisins and nuts crushed in a blender to this dry mix. Beat eggs and powder in a separate bowl. Then pour the egg mass into the container with flour and other components. Knead the dough for cookies.
In the next step, it is necessary to divide the resulting mass into 4 equal parts. From each of them we roll “sausages” with flattened bottom. Next, you should put our rollers on a baking sheet. Do not forget to cover it with parchment. For a perfect result, the oven should be heated to 180 degrees. In such conditions, "sausages" should be baked for about 20 minutes.
But this is not the end. After the dough rolls have cooled, they should be cut into pieces. Each cookie should once again go to the oven. And bake our snacks need on both sides: for 7-8 minutes each. We take out the baking sheet, and the biscotti according to the recipe of classic Italian cuisine is ready.
When cooks want to make an unusual biscotti, they add new ingredients to the dough. For example, you can remove nuts and raisins from a classic recipe, and instead add pistachios and melted chocolate. The result is a cookie that Italians serve at the Christmas table.
Fans of honey sweets will be happy to recipe, in which the special gift of bees gives a special taste to baking. Honey is added at the stage of kneading dough. A special highlight of this biscotti will bring a pinch of allspice.
For lovers of white chocolate, too, there are many interesting options. In one of the recipes, pieces of chocolate and dried apricots are added to the dough. This delicacy will appeal to kids. But fans of the exotic can cook biscotti with parmesan and basil. Such cookies are sure to be your signature dish.