You have a little fluffy creature in your house. The kitten is also a baby, and all problems of childhood are peculiar to it. One of these problems is the eyes that fester.
Caring owners often ask the question: have a kitten's eyes become festering, what to treat?
Why the kitten's eyes fester
The kitten's eyes festered. Before answering the question of how to treat, you need to find out why it happened.
The kitten's eyes fester for the same reason as humans. Conjunctivitis - inflammation of the connective membrane of the eye, is not uncommon in humans. Conjunctivitis is a series of various lesions of the conjunctiva of the eye. The cornea is a very vulnerable spot. It is subject to the penetration of various foreign elements: bacteria, viruses, fungi. One thing is characteristic - all these lesions are manifested by inflammation. And the inflammation gives the same symptoms: tearing, suppuration, burning, itching.
In a small creature just cut off from the mother, immunity is weakened. This gives a wide field of activity to infections that primarily affect the eyes. Therefore, purulent discharge from the organ of vision is not so rare in newborn kittens. If the disease is mild, it can be treated at home. If the process is delayed, then you need to contact the clinic and make tests to identify the nature of the disease. Further treatment will be prescribed by a veterinarian.
Kitty's eyes fester: first aid
As soon as you notice that the kitten's eyes have festered, think about how not to treat, but how to give first aid.
The kitten’s eyestrain may be so strong that when he wakes up in the morning he cannot open them. This speaks only of severe inflammation, but not of the severe course of the disease.
If you see that the kitten's eyes are festering, you need to give him first aid. For this fit the most simple means.
1. Brew in a glass of strong black tea. Allow it to cool to room temperature. Wash the eyes of the animal with a cotton swab.
2. Dissolve a teaspoon of boric acid in a glass of warm water. You can wash the kitten's eyes with this solution.
3. Remove the first symptoms of the disease with suppuration of the eyes will help a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
These simple home remedies will help your furry baby see the world. Sometimes a few washes are enough to completely get rid of the infection. But, if the kitten's eyes continue to fester, then you will have to take more effective measures.
Treatment of folk remedies
First aid was given to a kitten with festering eyes than to heal - now this is the main question.
Inflammation of the connective tissue of the eyeball is so long known to mankind that people have found many remedies for this disease in the wild. These herbs are known for their anti-inflammatory action: chamomile, cornflower, ochanka, burdock, celandine. Propolis has a very good anti-inflammatory effect.
Here are some simple recipes that can help a kitten.
This plant has long been known to have a calming and anti-inflammatory effect. With the help of chamomile make washing, compresses, lotions.
For treatment, you need to prepare a decoction of the flowers of this plant. It will take 3 tablespoons of inflorescences. They are poured boiling water and put in a water bath, which boil for 10 minutes. Broth ready. It can be used for treatment.
Daisies make lotions out of decoction. To this end, cotton swabs dipped in warm broth are applied to the eyes and kept until they cool completely. The procedure can be repeated 2-3 times. It is better to do before bedtime so that the eyes can rest during the night.
Chamomile decoction is suitable for compress. Per 100 grams of broth you need to add 10 drops of chamomile oil. In a warm solution moisten cotton swabs, put on the kitten's eyes, cover with a warm cloth and hold for 10-15 minutes. To carry out this procedure, the animal will have to pick up and hold, stroking and soothing until the end.
Common cornflower has a strong anti-inflammatory effect and is successfully used in traditional medicine. It is used for washes and lotions. 4 tablespoons inflorescences brew a liter of boiling water and leave on low heat for 5 minutes. After removing from heat, filter and cool. After 2 hours, the decoction is ready for use. This broth is washed eyes and make lotions. To obtain a quality result, the procedure should be repeated 5-6 times a day.
Celandine and violet
Treat conjunctivitis with a mixture of these two plants. For treatment, you will need 2 parts of celandine and one part of violet. Mix everything well. 6 teaspoons of the mixture pour half a liter of boiling water and insist for an hour. This time will be enough to cool the infusion and become acceptable for the procedure. This tool can be used for a compress and for instillation into the eyes.
Kitty eyes fester: what else can be treated
How to treat a kitten, with festering eyes, if all folk remedies are tried, but there is no result?
If the kitten's eyes fester, and folk remedies do not help, then it will have to be treated with medication.
The simplest and cheapest, but very effective means is albumin. It is sold in pharmacies without prescriptions.
He is buried in sore eyes. Well helps tetracycline ointment. It is prescribed for severe inflammation of the conjunctiva. She smeared her eyes and lay for ever.
You can use tools such as Floksal, Tobreks. There are infections against which these drugs are powerless. But Levomitsetin effective against bacteria, but is able to destroy viruses. The tool is available in the form of eye drops. But it can penetrate into the blood, so its long-term use is not permissible.
Kitty's eyes fester: apply drops
To bury drops in the eyes of a kitten is not easy. To do this, you need to pick it up and turn it around.
Ridged eyelids flush decoctions of herbs or strong tea.
When the eyes are clear of crusts, carefully disengage the eyelids and drip the medicine into the eye.
Keep the eye open for half a minute until the medicine spreads all over the eyeball. Loan the eyelids to close and remove the remaining liquid with a cotton swab.
Types of eye leakage
In cats, cats should have a general idea of the nature of eye secretions. It is for this feature that one can distinguish less dangerous diseases from more complicated ones and say whether pathogenic microflora is related to the etiology.
There are three main types of discharge (exudate) from the eyes of cats:
- Serous effusions. In the lush exudate, as a rule, they are transparent, straw-colored, sometimes pinkish. In the overwhelming majority of cases, serous inflammation is the beginning of more complex pathological reactions, and may also be associated with the presence of a viral infection, allergies and exposure to aggressive media such as cigarette smoke, chemicals, and others.
- Mucous exudate. Mucoid bursts of light colored, without significant smell are often signs of chronic exposure to irritants, allergens or dry eyes due to the pathology of the lacrimal glands or the cornea. Running injuries can also cause mucosal inflammation, turning into a purulent form.
- Mucous-purulente expiration most often occur due to the development of bacterial infections. The liquid exudes from dark yellow to green with the presence of a characteristic ichorous smell.
Additional symptoms in an animal
- W ud. The cat is increasingly trying to scratch the eye area with its paw or rub its muzzle against surrounding objects. Itching is a classic symptom of allergies and many viral infections developing in the eye area.
- Frequent blinking.
- Chronic mucous membranes and mucopurulent discharge often become the cause of the formation of dense crusts that have stuck to the eyelids. This condition greatly complicates the full opening of the palpebral fissure.
- Coughing and nasal discharge are symptoms of a viral infection. In cats, it is most often viral rhinotracheitis, the main causative agent of which is the herpes virus of the first type and calcic virus.
- Bloodshot eyes and redness of the third century is a characteristic symptom of all pathological processes in the eye area.
- Bacterial infections in periocular tissues often accompany bacterial infections and injuries.
- Edematous appearance of the eyelids.
- Sensitivity to light (photophobia). Appears with the development of the pathological process on the cornea.
￼In addition to all other things, subfebrile fever may occur during generalization of a bacterial infection and the development of viral diseases in a cat. However, such a phenomenon can be found in animals with severely weakened immunity.
Why do cats have festering eyes
Immediately it should be emphasized that the presence of foreign bodies in the eye of a cat can cause characteristic leaks, which disappear as the pathological process becomes more complicated. Routinely, the causes of eye discharge in a cat can be:
- Blepharitis in eyelids. In the etiology - bacterial infection, allergies and congenital anomalies.
- Corneal ulcers - an open wound, as a result of trauma, virus, fungal or bacterial infections, dryness and eye, structural anomalies and foreign bodies.
- D acryocystitis - inflammation of the lacrimal SAC and the mucous membrane of the tear ducts, leading to complete obstruction (pathological narrowing of the lumen) of the latter. Brachycephalic cat breeds, for example, Persians, are most prone to this pathology.
- Feline rhinotracheitis or feline flu is an acute respiratory infection of the upper respiratory tract with the transition of the pathological process to the eye area.
- Conjunctivitis - inflammation of the conjunctiva - the mucous membrane that covers the front of the eye. Conjunctivitis may have a mass, including infections, allergies, a foreign object, trauma atheism, and keratoconjunctivitis a (dry eye a) syndrome.
- Allergies can cause irritation and, as a rule, serous discharge from the eyes. Common allergens for cats include pollen, cigarette smoke, chemicals.
- Uveitis is an inflammation of the iris (vascular) membrane of the eye and the ciliary body. In the etiology there are also infections, diabetes mellitus, high blood pressure, tumors, as well as in cats, idiopathic uveitis is often noted (without a known cause).
- Epiphora - blockage of the lacrimal duct by any pathological agents.
- Trichias - abnormal growth of eyelashes in the direction of the eyeball with the development of the corresponding problems. Trichias is a rare occurrence among cats and occurs predominantly among high-breed animals.
- Dry eye (dry keratoconjunctivitis, dry eye syndrome) - inflammation of the cornea and conjunctiva due to an abnormal decrease in the production of tears.
The cat's eye festering: do something master
In any case, progressive outflows from the eyes of an animal, which noticeably pass from a simpler serous form to a more complex mucosa or mucous membrane, require the obligatory intervention of the veterinarian. The cornea and conjunctiva are extremely delicate tissues that, with prolonged exposure to the pathological agent, may succumb to the development of irreversible dystrophic degeneration. This, in turn, will entail a visual impairment in the animal.
So, if a cat has a pus on the eye, there is a simple algorithm for the owner to act:
- Pay attention to the frequency of outflows. If their presence is observed for 2–3 days, and also the formation of crusts is noticeable, it is necessary to examine the condition of the animal's eyes in more detail.
- Visually determine the presence of injuries in the eye area and the presence of a foreign body. Perhaps these are the only conditions that the owner is able to “cure” at home on their own.
- If there are additional symptoms of allergy, remember what might have changed in the environment for the cat. Perhaps this is a change of feed, the phase of flowering of indoor plants and so on.
What do you treat, if the cat's eyes fester
After the removal of a foreign object, or upon detection of a consequence of eye injury, the animal should be thoroughly rinsed, removing all outflows, including dried crusts. It should be noted that a similar procedure should be carried out daily, until the complete disappearance of clinical signs.
As a washing liquid, you can purchase special preparations in a veterinary pharmacy, as well as make them yourself. Than rinse the cat's eyes at home:
- A solution of salt in distilled water. Half a teaspoon and salt is dissolved per liter of liquid and brought to a boil. Cool before use. The treatment is indicated for any type of outflow, except for those caused by allergic etiology. In this case, no salt is added to the water.
- Strong fresh tea infusion. Only leaf tea should be brewed, ideally in distilled water. In addition to excellent disinfecting properties, welding, due to caffeine, constricts blood vessels, which reduces the symptoms of allergies.
In kittens, all procedures are carried out similarly to adult animals.
What I eat eye cat for injuries
Usually, in this case, the host’s first thought is about iodine or green. Such treatment of wounds is permissible, but it should only be carried out by a veterinarian, since even minimal contact with such irritating media on the conjunctiva will cause not only suffering in the animal and the danger from its adequate defense response, but also the development of irreversible processes.
How to wash the cat's eyes properly
Before any manipulations should take care of their own safety. For this, the animal must be fixed. It is better to tightly swaddle the cat in a towel, leaving only the head outside. Help the second person will be very helpful. As already noted, it is not recommended to wash both eyes from the same container with the same tampons or napkins.
We hope that we completely answered the question of our readers what to treat and what to do if the cat has festering eyes. In conclusion, it is worth emphasizing once again that if there are additional symptoms, it is necessary to contact the veterinary clinic in order to make a correct diagnosis and to assign it to the appropriate treatment.
From the eyes of cats and dogs there is an outflow of mucous exudate, which accumulates in the corner of the eye and glues eyelashes. . Treatment. At home, you can wash your eyes with tea leaves, removing purulent discharge.
The reasons why the cat has watery eyes, and treatment options for the problem. . Elderly and sick pets are not able to properly care for themselves, and they often have copious discharge from the eyes.
We recommend reading about why the cat's eyes are watering. You will learn about the causes of tearing in cats, treatment, proper eye hygiene. And here more about the treatment of discharge from the eyes of a cat.
Causes and symptoms of suppuration of the eyes in cats
A small amount of effusions from the eyes in healthy cats is considered normal. Feline "tears" usually have a reddish or grayish tint, and appear for various reasons. Discharge from the eyes of a cat can be isolated and rare. Perhaps the eyes of the animal began to water because there was a protective reaction to dust particles that fell on the surface of the visual organ.
This situation is not dangerous, so the owner should not worry about it. Another thing, when the eyes of a pet fester, from them oozing thick yellow or green pus. This is already a cause for concern.
In any case, it is necessary to understand the causes of pathology, and then begin therapy. So why do cats suffer from festering eyes?
- If a cat has a purulent discharge from the eye, it is characterized by a transparent or watery consistency, then this symptom often indicates mechanical injury to the visual organ or allergic reactions. Gray or reddish crusts that dry up in the inner corners of the eyes become a characteristic sign of such outflows.
- Thick consistency, yellowish or greenish discharge indicates an infection (caused by bacteria or fungus) in your pet's body. The animal necessarily needs the help of a veterinarian, because it will not work to cure such a pathology at home. Self-medication can further impair the health of the animal.
- When a cat's eyes are very festering, it is necessary to check for systemic or eye diseases. Eye injuries, conjunctivitis, diseases of the eyelids or corneas can provoke the appearance of suppurations in the area of the animal's visual organs. The cat's eyes are festering also because its body is affected by chronic infections of a viral nature, plague or panleukopenia.
- Injuries or contusion of the eyelids also cause the appearance of purulent discharge from the cat's eyes. Животное может травмировать зрительный орган в ходе драки с другим котом, в процессе лазания по деревьям (ветками) или в результате неаккуратных игр. Зачастую воспалительный процесс после травмы распространяется на глазное яблоко.
- Chemical, thermal or traumatic effects on the eyelids can trigger the development of blepharitis and, as a result, suppuration of the organ of vision in the cat. In the damaged eye get viruses, germs, fungal infections, leading to the fact that the eyes fester.
- Improper diet, household products, poor-quality sleep, and even the individual structure of the muzzle of a cat - all these factors also become an explanation of why the pet's eyes fester.
- Colds or allergies. If the cat sneezes and eyes fester - this is a disturbing bell. Probably, the animal caught a cold. Such a reaction of the pet's body may be in case of an infection or allergic irritants. But sometimes sneezing in cats provokes dust that gets into the nose.
A good owner will quickly see that his pet's eyes are festering. He must be alerted by additional signs indicating serious problems with the visual organ of the cat. These include:
- the animal behaves restlessly, often with a paw an inflamed eye, the cat's appetite disappears,
- the hair around the diseased eye becomes brownish and felted,
- sometimes the cat's body temperature rises, he tries to hide in a dark, secluded place,
- eyes that fester, become reddish or dull,
- the animal often blinks,
- in the eyes of the cat, due to the unceasing outflows, a dense brownish crust is formed, which prevents the pet from opening them completely,
- hypersensitivity to light (a cat develops photophobia, characteristic of pathological processes in the cornea).
If a cat develops viral diseases, then eye suppuration is often accompanied by prolonged and persistent fever.
As soon as the first disturbing symptoms appear, take the cat to the vet. He will prescribe a complex of tests, make a correct diagnosis based on their results, and prescribe a treatment. In order to diagnose conjunctivitis, the zoobrac makes washout analyzes from the mucous membranes of the diseased eye.
We wash the cat's eyes: useful tips
To perform washing, if the kitten's eyes are swollen and festering, it should be carefully, taking care of their safety first. Pet during the procedure will be nervous and escape, so it should be well fixed (or use the help of the second person who will keep the animal). The best option is to swaddle the cat with a towel or diaper so that only the head remains outside. Stick to the following guidelines..
- Rinse each eye with a solution from a separate container.
- Twist the fleece with a tight braid, lower it into a warm broth (medical solution), and squeeze it into the festering eye of the animal.
- When the pet's eyes are completely purged of purulent effusions, apply tetracycline ointment (1%) under the eyelid of the cat. To do this, pull the lower eyelid of the animal and using a special scoop, place the composition on its inner surface. Then completely close the cat's eyes and gently massage it. This will help the tool be distributed evenly. To further enhance the effect of applying the ointment, preheat a tube of it in your hands. But if the cat is very nervous, then you should not apply ointment under the eyelid (this can lead to injury to the organ of vision).
How to properly drip the animal's eye?
If your pet's eyes fester, then drops can also be used for treatment. In this case, it is important to know which formulations are best to use, and how to carry out this procedure correctly. To cure the organs of vision in a cat, use different variants of drops. for example:
- "Diamond eye",
Even if the eye of an animal is very festering, you can help it with drops, without leaving the house. Follow these guidelines to complete the procedure effectively..
- Lay the cat on its side, turn its head up.
- If your pet has a restless and violent nature, it must be immobilized before burying his eyes. Use a large sheet or towel for swaddling.
- Bury the medicinal solution, slightly opening the pet's eyes. During the procedure, hold the cat's face with your hand so that it does not wind it.
- When the medicinal composition gets on the cat's eyeball, it will blink, and thereby contribute to a uniform distribution of the drug over the entire surface of the eye.
- After instillation, blot the pet eye with a dry cloth or cotton pad.
Remember that the above manipulations with drops will not help to cure the underlying disease, but will contribute to the removal of the acute symptoms of suppuration of the eyes. If the visual organs in your cat are very festering, only an experienced veterinarian can cure this pathology. Eye treatment for cats should be timely. Only under this condition can the pet's vision be saved.
Causes and symptoms
Healthy animals are also characterized by discharge from the organs of vision. As a rule, these are ordinary tears of a grayish, sometimes reddish hue. The reasons for which they appear are different and there are many of them. If a cat has watery eyes and festering is not a cause for concern, especially if the outflows are rare and isolated. Also it is necessary to take into account the peculiarities of the discharge. If simple tearing is normal, then the appearance of thick green or yellow pus is already a warning sign.
First, let's see why a cat or a cat's eyes fester - what is the reason? After all, not understanding the reason, to understand and cure the disease more troublesome. As a rule, these clear watery discharges result from allergic reactions or mechanical damage. They may have a grayish or reddish hue.
Symptom of a bacterial or fungal infection is considered greenish or yellowish purulent thick discharge from the eyes of a cat. The disease cannot pass by itself, therefore these signs cannot be ignored.
Eye and systemic diseases may be accompanied by purulent discharge from the cat's eyes. To eye diseases include:
- diseases of the cornea, eyelid,
- eye injuries
Systemic diseases include chronic viral infections, panleukopenia, or plague.
The attentive owner will quickly notice that the cat's eyes are constantly festering, but besides that the owner should be wary if the sick animal has additional symptoms that indicate the problem:
- the animal looks worried, rubs the eye with its foot, refuses to eat,
- hiding in dark places, perhaps an increase in body temperature,
- the hair around the eye is felted, with a brown tint,
- organ of vision is clouded, reddened.
There is no need for a veterinary diploma to understand that something is wrong with the animal. By the way, if you notice that the cat has red eyes and fester, the redness is not necessarily taken as a symptom of any ailment. Most likely, this is a consequence of irritation of the eye with a sukorovitsa or a pet rubbed itself with its paw, trying to get rid of pain and itching, which does not give rest.
When the first symptoms appear, the cat should be taken to the veterinarian in order to correctly make a diagnosis and pass tests. To exclude conjunctivitis, a veterinarian with a cat's eye mucosa makes a microanalysis of the wash, prescribes treatment in the complex. May prescribe antibiotic treatment - general therapy. When local therapy prescribed ointments and eye drops.
Bruising or trauma of the eyelids is another important factor in the appearance of pus from the eyes. In this case, the inflammatory processes are transmitted to the eyeball. You can get injured for different reasons: fight, negligence during the game and much more.
A cat may fall ill with blepharitis resulting from traumatic, chemical, thermal effects on the eyelids. The damaged area is an open door for germs, viruses, pathogenic fungi that infect the eye.
Keratitis (inflammation of the cornea) is another disease, due to which the cat's eyes fester.
Allergens - dust, perfume, flower pollen, drugs.
There are many other causes of purulent discharge:
- bad food,
- household chemicals,
- feature of the muzzle.
Other causes of purulent eyes
When the owner notices that the cat's eyes are festering and the pet sneezes often, rubbing the nose from which the snot is flowing, it is unlikely to immediately find out the cause of sneezing and increased secretions. The same applies to the measures that must be taken to alleviate the problem. Establishing the factor that caused this violation, in this case is in priority.
Sneezing can be caused by ordinary dust. But if the animal sneezes all the time - this is an alarming symptom, indicating a disease and abnormalities in the body.
For example, if a cat has a runny nose and festering eyes, this is a common symptom of a cold. It may also be an allergic manifestation to irritants or infection.
Feline allergies are one of the most common causes of eye suppuration. Allergens are present everywhere:
- means of pests, mosquitoes, flies,
- perfume, household deodorants,
- cleaning products and detergents
- home pollen
- mold, fungi on the walls,
- cigarette smoke.
In addition to the main signs of allergies, such as when a cat's eyes and nose fester, there are secondary symptoms of exposure to allergens:
- high temperature
- general depression of the pet.
Each of these signs and all of them in aggregate is a reason to take the animal to the veterinary clinic. Doctors often encounter similar problems and know which antihistamine drug to prescribe when certain symptoms appear.
Important! It should be understood that if the cat's eyes fester from allergies, it will not be possible to treat the problem with antihistamines. They temporarily stop the problem, but to save the pet from suffering forever you will need to find an irritating allergen and get rid of it.
Cat's eyes fester for various reasons:
- poor health,
- reduced immunity
- untidy sleeping place
- insufficiently balanced feed.
Do not forget about hypothermia and drafts, because of which the cat's eyes and snot fester especially often.
The first signs of such a disease as chlamydia are characterized by the appearance of purulent blood and the subsequent inflammation of the cornea and mucous membrane.
The next reason a cat has a watery eye and festers is atopic dermatitis. This is a seasonal disease of an allergic nature.
Do not discount such factors as heredity. Cats whose ancestors were ancestors suffering from eye diseases are in a special risk group, the probability of developing pathologies in these pets is 50% higher.
Sometimes it happens that the pet looks healthy. There are no visible symptoms of the disease, except for discharge, there are no secondary signs of infection or mechanical damage to the organ of vision. Analyzes also show a favorable result. Naturally, the owner of the animal raises a reasonable question - why the cat's eyes fester, if there is no reason for it.
In such cases, the answer must be sought in the literal sense of the cat in the eye. After all, the case is most likely in congenital pathology:
- misplaced hair bulb,
- wrong location of the lower eyelid,
- eyelashes in several rows,
- no tear point
- defect of the lacrimal sac.
The animal, being a kitten, is already beginning to experience discomfort from the influence of pathology, and with age and, as a consequence, an increase in the "defective area" symptoms become more pronounced. In our case - the cat's eyes fester. What to do in this case is to solve the problem, usually by surgery.
It is impossible to self-medicate, only a doctor can choose the right drugs.
What drugs are recommended by doctors
Finding out why the cat's eyes fester, the veterinarian prescribes a complex of recovery procedures:
- If swelling is present in addition to pus, a solution of novocaine and hydrocortisone is prescribed to the pet.
- If the disease is acute, inject antibiotics.
- The consequences of the injury are treated with Levomycetinum.
- Locally prescribed Misofen, Albucid, Bars.
- From solutions for washing the eyeball emit Medkinos, Lacrymine.
Diagnosis is available only to a qualified employee of a veterinary clinic after the initial examination, research results analysis. Self-diagnosis, as well as treatment, can cause serious consequences for the cat. After all, even with certain diagnostic skills, without laboratory research it is impossible to be confident in the final diagnosis. Also, independently, it is impossible to determine the individual tolerance of drugs during treatment.
It is impossible to self-medicate, only a doctor can choose the right drugs.
How to treat?
Treatment of purulent eyes is primarily aimed at calculating and eliminating the cause, irritating the mucous membrane. The effectiveness of medical procedures depends on how correctly a diagnosis is made. If it is a bruise - the damaged area is purified with hydrogen peroxide. When blepharitis dealt with the cause that caused it. Conjunctivitis occurs - it is time to see a veterinarian for complex treatment.
How to treat a cat, whose eyes fester? Before meeting the doctor, the cat should be given first aid. If there is a purulent thick discharge, then you should wash your eyes. You cannot do without an assistant here, since it is very difficult for one to perform this procedure.
This procedure is performed using chamomile decoction, a solution of boric acid and furatsilina. 2 tsp. boric acid should be dissolved in 0.5 st. water, furatsilina solution should be 0.02%. Rinse only with warm solution and not hot. You need to twist the cotton wool in a tight flagellum, dip it in the solution and squeeze the liquid on the pet's eyeball. It is recommended to perform the procedure until the eyes are clear.
In the process, tampons must be changed, you cannot use a tampon more than once. Cotton swabs should not be used, as they do not absorb liquid. In order not to injure the cat's eyeball, do not touch it with a dry swab.
The eyes are cleared of purulent secretions, now it is recommended to apply tetracycline eye ointment under the eyelids (1%). It is necessary to delay the lower eyelid and ointment its inner cavity with a special scapula. Then you need to close the cat's eye and massage it slightly. So the ointment is evenly distributed over the eye. A tube of ointment is recommended to warm up in the hands, so the applied agent is better distributed over the eyeball.
If the cat is nervous and resists, the ointment should not be applied, otherwise you can cause injury to the eye.
How to bury the eyes of a cat
If your cat's eye is festering, you can help it yourself. You will not be able to carry an animal several times a day to a veterinary clinic. For a successful procedure, note the following rules:
- Lay the animal on its side, and turn the pet's head up.
- If you have a violent or restless cat, you may have to immobilize him. For this purpose, fit a large towel or sheet. As you know, the animal will have to swaddle.
- Open your pet's eye and put the medicine in it, if the animal rears its muzzle, hold it with your hand, as in the photo.
After the drug gets on the eyeball, the animal, blinking, itself will contribute to its distribution over the entire surface.
- At the end of the procedure, blot the area to be treated with a napkin.
The described procedures will not cure the disease, they can only relieve its symptoms. If a cat's eyes fester, then only a veterinarian can help. Timely treatment will save your pet's eyesight.
It is necessary to carry out the prevention of infectious diseases. First of all, you need to make all the necessary vaccinations for your four-legged friend. Do not forget to inspect your pet from time to time. And also it will never be superfluous to visit the veterinary office for preventive purposes.
To avoid injury to the animal, control it during the walk. And if your pet is prone to inadequate behavior, walk it on a harness. Immediately remember, if the cat's eye festers after the fight there is nothing to be surprised about. There is a defeat of the organ with the litter or claws of the enemy. If any situation does lead to eye damage, do not overload with first aid, treat the affected area as soon as possible. Regarding what to wash the eyes of the cat, if they fester, everything is simple - you can use boiled water or herbal decoction.
Do not forget about such an item as - de-worming. Worms cause double harm to the animal. In addition to the main parasitizing factor, helminths harm the animal, poisoning it with products of its vital activity. And if a cat has a watery eye and festers, this is one of the signs of an allergic reaction caused by the activity of worms.
If the animal for any reason injured the area near the eye - take steps to ensure that the pet does not comb the affected area. An Elizabethan collar for cats is well suited for this purpose. If desired, it can be done by hand.
Если у вас дома живет длинношерстная кошка, склонная к нагноению органов зрения, состригайте ей волосы вокруг глаза – это будет неплохим профилактическим мероприятием и возможной панацеей от нежелательных истечений.
В целом, если вам интересно знать – почему у кота гноятся глаза, в первую очередь подумайте о том, насколько вы заботливы по отношению к питомцу:
- прививаете ли вы его,
- conduct preventive examinations.
After all, timely care of the animal and care for minor injuries help to avoid many complications, including problems affecting the eyes of the cat.
What to do if the cat's eyes are very festering, we figured it out. But we should not lose sight of the main recommendations relating to treatment and prevention, aimed at reducing the likelihood of complications. And if the complications have already begun, the recommendations will help to transfer them with minimal damage to the health of the cat or cat:
- If more than three months have passed since the last deworming, it is time to repeat the procedure. If this does not help, you must go to the doctor.
- At home, a pet can be helped by making lotions with a decoction of chamomile or green tea, before the instillation of the medicine.
- Do not treat cats with pus in the eyes with medicines intended for humans. Chances are that the drug will only aggravate the situation to a critical state. Only a veterinarian can prescribe "human" drugs.
How to treat the cat's eye in case of injury
If a cat has a puffy eye and festers after a pet has visited the street, the case may be in injury. The animal could fight or hurt the organ of vision on the knot. Most often in these cases, people start thinking about Zelenka or iodine. What to say - this treatment is permissible, but it can only be trusted by a qualified person. After all, these fluids, when hit on the conjunctiva, can cause pain shock in an animal and, worse, lead to irreversible pathological processes in the eye.
The next point is what to do if the organ of vision is also swollen. If the cat has a swollen eye and festers, there is a reason for this. For example, a combination of a swollen eye and oozing exudate often indicates a foreign object entering the eye area. In this case, it is undesirable to help the animal "at home". After all, you do not know what exactly got your pet in the eye, and suddenly it's a thorn, pierced the cornea. Accordingly, the extraction of a foreign object can lead to an increase in damage, which will definitely harm the animal.
Inflammation of the cornea is a little more harmless. If the disease is acute, then the eyes of the cat are festering strongly, what do you already know in this case - go to the veterinarian.
Why do many street cats fester eyes
Recently, in one cat forum I came across the question of how a street old cat’s eyes fester, what it is possible to treat them with, what better to smear it and why street cats often have eye problems.
On that forum, they already answered for me, but I am passing this information to you. The answer to banality is simple - the main reason is the street. There are such factors as:
- bad food conditions
- lack of minimal care
- constant contact with many sick animals.
The final, as you know, is often unfavorable.
At the same forum, I met questions about whether cats with eyes, snot and other manifestations of health problems can be taken home.
What can I say - if you have money and time, with a high degree of probability the animal can be saved. In some cases, a newly minted pet will have enough tasty food, love and caring care to forget about any problems associated with eye treatment. Consider, if you have other pets at home, it is better to isolate a new family member for the first time in order to avoid possible infection. In this regard, precautions apply to everyone, including people.
You are responsible for those who live in your house and whom you have tamed, therefore the health of your pet depends on you. If you still have questions on the topic, what to do, if the cat's eyes fester - write in the comments, we respond promptly!
Any questions? You can ask them to staff the vet of our site in the comments box below, which will respond to them as soon as possible.
Why does a cat's eye fester?
Why does the cat fester eyes, it is interesting to know many who have a pet suffers from this disease. There are the following main reasons:
- Conjunctivitis. If a kitten's eyes are festering, then most likely this is a consequence of a viral or bacterial infection. In this case, the process develops quite quickly, and the animal constantly glues the eyelids, and the discharge from them is of a purulent character.
- Injury. When a pet does not like to sit still, you should not ask why the kitten's eyes fester. This can occur with minor injury to the nail or some object.
- Keratitis If inflammation occurs in the cornea, the pus from the eyes becomes a constant companion. At the same time, it is important to suspect pathology in time and begin treatment.
- Avitaminosis. Lack of nutrients and poor nutrition can lead to a weakening of the body of the animal. As a result, even a minor infection can lead to suppuration.
- Congenital malformations. Sometimes, immediately after the birth of an animal, such a problem arises. It is associated with congenital malformations of the hair follicles.
- Chlamydia. The presence of protozoa in the body of a pet can trigger pus discharge from the eyes. Chlamydia treatment is long and requires an integrated approach.
- Allergy. If the cat's eyes fester, then this may be a consequence of the pathological reaction of the body to some food, plant or other component of the external environment.
- Hypothermia Banal cold can trigger this kind of symptoms. If the cat's eyes were suppressed, then the animal may have been frozen for a long time.
If the cat has eyelid suppurations and characteristic swelling, then most often the veterinarian prescribes glucocorticoid agents, such as Hydrocortisone. Novocain is usually added to it to get rid of painful symptoms.
When the kittens have festering eyes and the symptom persists for a long time, the veterinarian may suggest a Novocain blockade with the introduction of an antibiotic that will destroy the pathogenic microflora and relieve inflammation.
When symptoms are present in cats due to injury, Levomycetin is often used, which is given to the animal inside with water. Albucidine can also be used to treat pets. Such drops should be dripped into the eyes of a kitten. Very soon, purulent areas will become less pronounced.
In case of eye damage with purulent secretions, treatment of a representative of the cat family can be carried out with the help of traditional medicine.
Excellent cope with the inflammatory processes decoction of chamomile flowers. To do this, just pour a glass of boiling water 2 tsp. raw and cook for 15 minutes. After that, cool the liquid to room temperature, separate from the flowers and rinse the eyes of your pet using a cotton pad. This should be done as often as possible.
A weak solution of furatsilina well cope with the task. To do this, grind the tablet and stir in warm water. After that it can be used for washing. As a rule, several procedures are necessary until a lasting effect appears.
Infusion of sage has a local anti-inflammatory effect and is often used for various purulent lesions of the mucous membranes. Preparing a healing tool is very simple. Enough to brew 1 tsp. herbs in 300 ml of boiling water and let stand for an hour. Then strain and use for washing.
Boric acid can also be used. 1 tsp powder needs to be dissolved in 250 ml of warm water.
You can, of course, use the usual saline solution, which will give good results. However, it is better to use it for the treatment of kittens, as their bodies are especially susceptible to various medications. For the treatment of adult cats is better to use saline as an aid.
If all of these funds did not help, then it is necessary to carry out treatment in veterinary clinics, since the festering eyes of the cat are fraught with dangerous consequences for the animal.
How to treat festering eyes?
Any owner of a cat sooner or later faces the fact that the pet is sick. But if a cat's eyes fester, timely help can save your pet's visual health.
When a cat's eyes fester, what should I do first? It is necessary to notice the appearance of mucus in the corners of the eyes in time so as not to start the ailment.
Timely reaction and help prevent the development of the disease.
Cat tearing eyes are a common problem for furry pets. There are many solutions to it, the majority of owners are in a hurry to immediately deliver the cat to the veterinary clinic, some are treated at home. It happens, the cat falls ill, and the owners do not notice that the kitten has watery eyes.
Often mucus accumulates in an animal after sleep - this is normal. In this case, you just need to wipe your pet's eyes with a cotton pad. If you notice that the cat constantly has watery eyes, while he tries to wipe them with his paw or close, then you have a signal about the disease. In this case, you must immediately go with the cat to the vet.
Causes of Eye Disease in Cats
The main cause of mucus in the eyes of the cat is infection in them, which, getting into the eye area, causes irritation and inflammation of the mucous membranes. Conjunctivitis most often develops. In the veterinary clinic, the doctor makes a washout from the conjunctiva to confirm or deny this diagnosis.
Treatment of this disease in cats can be performed by different methods: both with the use of anti-inflammatory drugs and with the use of eye drops. To prevent new inflammation after treatment for conjunctivitis, you should periodically check the cat's eyes at the vet.
Sometimes the cause of suppuration is cat allergy to some kind of irritant.
The manifestation of an allergic reaction of the body may be due to food, dust, flowers, the composition of chemicals that are used for cleaning the house.
Sometimes even the hair that falls in a cat can get into the eyes and cause allergies. The discharge of mucus from the eyes is also possible because of the parasites that have settled in the cat's body, for example, if worms have wound up.
Purulent discharge may occur due to damage to the mucous membrane of the eye. It can hurt her as the cat itself, scratching the eye with claws, and sand. If a seemingly healthy cat has an eye festering, then immediately it is necessary to take it to a veterinary clinic. If this is not done, mechanical injury to the eye can cause the cat to lose sight.
The constant release of fluid from the eyes of cats can be explained by the peculiarity of some breeds, such as Persian or British. Owners of representatives of the named breeds should especially carefully monitor the state of health of their pet and periodically take them to the veterinarian for a routine examination.
In cats, entropion can begin - a reversal of the eyelids. It is peculiar to few cats. The disease causes skin cracking. Dirt may develop into conjunctivitis. Although torsion of the eyelids occurs rarely in cats, there are breeds that in genetics have a predisposition to this disease. These include Persian, British, Maine Coons and Fold.
In this case, unfortunately, you can stop tearing only by surgical intervention of a veterinarian.
Cat eye cleaning
To clean the eyes of cats, you can use products that are sold in the pet pharmacy. There you can buy a variety of liquids, which should be moistened with cotton pads or napkins. To begin with, before the procedure of wiping a cat's eyes you need to catch it. Then, to avoid aggression from the pet, it is worth wrapping it in a blanket or towel.
If the procedure is carried out for the first time, it is advisable to attract an assistant to keep the cat. She may try to break free, not wanting to endure the purge. You will be surprised how strong a cat can be that resists. A towel or blanket is needed so that the cat does not hurt you when it starts to scratch.
When everything is prepared for cleaning, it is necessary to moisten a cotton pad or a napkin with a special means for cleaning the eyes of cats. Using a cotton swab, gently begin to remove mucus from the corners of your eyes. Try not to touch the cat's pupil, as touching the eye may cause aggression of the cat. After cleaning the corners of the eyes from the mucus to clean the eyelids.
To do this, you must again take a clean fleece, previously moistened in the treatment solution. Then it is necessary to open the eyelids of the cat and rinse them, making movements from one corner of the eye to the other. In addition, it is necessary to moisten the conjunctiva with a solution of the eye.
If you have experience of washing the eyes of cats, then you can carry out the procedure with a syringe, from which the needle was previously removed. The solution must be poured directly under each eyelid. After these manipulations, you need to remove the fluid around the eyes with a clean and dry cotton pad. In order that the cat is not angry, it can be treated to something delicious.
Preventive measures and treatment
The kitten in the process of growing up will allow you to perform the procedure of cleaning the eyes calmly, if you teach him to her from an early age.
After all, cleaning ensures eye health and prevents the occurrence of diseases associated with these organs.
If you do not clean your eyes, the cat will not only experience discomfort, which can lead to stress, but can also catch the infection. The mucous membrane of the eye is one of the most vulnerable to viruses.
The specialist will be able to diagnose the presence of the disease and prescribe treatment.
At home, it is impossible to completely eliminate the suppuration of the eyes in cats, but it is quite possible to alleviate the pet's sufferings. This can be done if only the initial stage of the disease.
When the cat's eyes begin to water or fester, you can wipe them with a solution of chamomile or tea. It is best to apply the liquid on a cotton pad or a special napkin. The same solution is also suitable for a compress, which should be placed on the cat's eyes in order to relieve inflammation.
To eliminate puffiness and reduce pain in the eyes of a cat, you can buy almond oil. For better effect, this tool can be combined with chamomile compresses. Oil need to drip 2 drops in each eye twice a day.
An alternative option may be a tincture of calendula, which will provide a similar effect.
If the cat's eyes are very festering or do not even open, then the animal can be treated by instilling Albucid into each eye.
Although the remedy does help, some cat owners believe that it is not suitable for treatment.
To neutralize the internal infection, you can use a special tetracycline ointment. It should be rubbed under the eyelid of the cat at least 2 times a day.
Thus, you can clean your eyes at home, but if the cat's eyes fester, which gives her discomfort, you should immediately contact your veterinarian and begin to treat your pet correctly.
The cat has suppuration at the corners of the eyes
It happens that a healthy appearance, well-groomed and beloved pet suddenly begin to show some kind of pathological reaction. These include suppuration in the corners of the eyes.
It is not necessary that the symptom signals about something extra dangerous to the life of the animal, but of course - this is the reason for careful monitoring of the pussy and determine the causes of purulent discharge.
Sometimes the most innocent disease, which was so easy to eliminate in the initial stage, brings serious consequences if you ignore timely treatment.
Causes of eye abscess
Subject to this unpleasant misfortune can pet of any age. In children, kittens conjunctivitis, for example, is generally quite common.
At first, they regularly water eyes, simply because they do not know how to care for themselves properly. Without care, the lacrimal discharge passes into purulent and the disease begins.
Therefore, it is important to help the little animal to care for the eyes to prevent conjunctivitis.
Pus from the eyes begins to stand out in animals when injured. Minor injuries heal themselves, but significant cuts, wounds should be treated with medication. The risk of secondary infection is too great.
A cat can injure itself when scratching (the trouble of unkempt claws), on a walk, if a tree splashes in the eye, during street "fights" with other representatives of the feline tribe.
In order to prevent inflammation, it is necessary to immediately take measures for washing and disinfecting microtrauma.
Another reason for suppuration is eye disease. Blepharitis develops just after eye injuries. And any, from mechanical to burn. Keratitis is an inflammation of the cornea when pus is accompanied by pathology.
Infections. And not only eye, and any infectious diseases in the pet. Often illnesses are manifested by the defeat of the mucous membranes. The cat sneezes, her eyes watering, pus begins to ooze from them. Such symptoms occur even with colds, for all their seeming harmlessness.
Symptoms of the disease and diagnosis
A healthy animal eyes do not fester! Если присутствуют гнойные выделения, значит есть причина. Попробуем ее найти самостоятельно:
- Травмы. При ушибах, ранениях в области века у зверька может появиться гематома, припухлость вокруг места поражения. Иногда появляется температура.
- Блефарит. Питомец испытывает постоянный зуд в области пораженного глаза.Combing an itchy place, the animal infects the animal. With the proliferation of bacteria begins to stand out pus.
- Purulent conjunctivitis. Characterized by the fact that affects both eyes. The pet feels soreness of the organs of vision, there is a fever. Mucosa swells, grabbing tissue around.
- Follicular conjunctivitis. A more complex form of purulent, as photophobia, swelling and swollen lymph nodes are added to the symptoms.
The development of any eye disease and not taking measures to treat provokes loss of eyelashes, hair, scab formation.
Even if you have successfully determined for what reason the animal has purulent discharge, it is still necessary to visit the doctor, only he can prescribe treatment.
If even the doctor cannot visually diagnose with accuracy, then it is necessary to conduct clinical studies.
They suggest the study of the biomaterial, for which purulent discharge from the eyes is taken and a sensitivity analysis of the infectious agent to antibiotic drugs is immediately carried out. This is done in order to prescribe the correct treatment.
In addition to visual inspection of the organs of vision, other life-support systems should be examined for latent infection.
The elimination of purulent secretions is, in fact, the elimination of the causes that caused them.
- Conjunctivitis in small kittens. The doctor will select the necessary funds. These are usually eye drops and ointments.
- Blepharitis. Often it is treated with the help of pills that supplement the treatment with smears and drops. Both eyes are treated with drugs, even if one of them does not look amazed.
- Injuries. In the presence of a foreign object, it is carefully removed. Then the eye is treated with an antiseptic (including and for any other injuries). For the procedure suitable 3% hydrogen peroxide. A piece of sterile gauze or bandage is taken, dipped in des solution and gently pressed against the cat's eye. Consider one nuance - the cat is not a man and calmly will not tolerate. Immobilize the animal beforehand, for example, by wrapping it in something. Then very carefully wipe the eye from the corner of the nose to the outside. If the animal has severe pain, then it is better to anesthetize the animal with Novocain before the procedure. After treatment with an antiseptic, prescribed to treat an antibiotic to prevent the development of infection.
- Infectious diseases. If the pet is not timely put down the necessary vaccinations, then be prepared for pathologies. An unvaccinated animal is exposed to diseases more often. If symptoms such as sneezing, tearing, and pus from the eyes appear in an animal, take action immediately. Complications can end even in the death of a small patient. In such cases, only a doctor can determine the cause of eye abscess and prescribe therapy.
- Colds. In order to prevent the development of complications, a cold should be treated. But do not panic with every sneeze of a cat, even if his eyes began to fester. First, sick organs must be treated daily with antiseptic and herbal medicinal infusions (chamomile, calendula, etc.). Signs of cold are treated without the use of antibiotics. It is necessary to improve the immune system. To do this, prescribe immunostimulants, vitamin courses.
Than rinse the cat's eyes at home:
- Salt solution on distilled water. Per liter of liquid dissolve half a teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Cool before use. The treatment is indicated for any type of outflow, except for those caused by allergic etiology. In this case, no salt is added to the water.
- Strong fresh tea infusion. Only leaf tea should be brewed, ideally in distilled water. In addition to excellent disinfecting properties, welding, due to caffeine, constricts blood vessels, which reduces the symptoms of allergies.
- Can be washed furatsilina solution. To do this, you need to dilute 2 tablets of furatsilina for 1 glass! You can also make such a solution, it helps very well: 10 teaspoons of water and 1 teaspoon of aloe juice (if you are afraid, add not 10 spoons of water, but 11)! There are still a very old, but effective method: wash with strong tea (naturally not sweet)! VERY important: you need to wash each eye with different wadded disks (well, or cotton).
- Buy an antibiotic at the pharmacy Benzylpenicillin in vials, it is a powder, which, as a rule, is diluted with novocaine, for injections to people. It should be diluted with boiled water and this solution wipe your pet's sore eyes (2 - 3 times a day). He is in the pharmacy worth a penny. You can replace Benzylpenicillin with another antibiotic, it is only necessary that it be in powder. We treated the festering eyes of a kitten found on the street like this. For 3 - 4 days we cured his eyes.
- If pus is plentiful, then take Levomycetin drops, they are human, cost 10 rubles too. They are prescribed to cats, the vets themselves. Drip need 6-8 times a day. You can lay erythromycin ointment for eyelid for the night while you sleep.
- Use eye gel Korneregel
Having at least a minimal idea of the causes of festering cats eyes, you can regularly carry out prevention to minimize the risk of pus.
- Try to protect your pet from injury. If the pet is an avid fighter, then conduct an inspection after each walk. Immediately treat all small wounds with disinfectants, such as furatsilinom. This, at a minimum, will protect against infection of microdamages. Do not let your pet comb his wounds (you can even wear a neck collar). Cut the hair around the aching eye.
- Hygienic eye care kittens, until they learned to do it yourself. For the procedure suitable boiled water, decoction of medicinal herbs, Sometimes a veterinarian recommends the use of droplets "Diamond Eyes".
- Be sure to regularly conduct prevention and treatment of helminthic invasion. Parasites during reproduction cause a strong weakening of the immune system, malfunction of the internal organs, and this makes the animal defenseless against the slightest infection.
- Protect the animal from hypothermia, get vaccinated according to the age of the animal and feed only a balanced diet.
And then your pet will not be afraid of any disease.
Discharge from the eyes of a pet - what to do?
Gentle pets are as susceptible to disease as humans. The organs of vision are especially vulnerable. When a cat's eyes fester, it is an alarming signal that cannot be ignored by caring owners. The suffering of a fluffy patient is relieved only by timely and proper assistance. So, let's look at the causes of cat festering eyes.
Discharge from the cat's eye
Discharge from the organs of vision occur in healthy animals. Transparent, in some cases, grayish or reddish liquid - these are tears.
There are many reasons for their appearance - trauma, prolonged sleep, inappropriate food, household chemicals, particular features of the muzzle of certain breeds. If the eyes turn sour in rare cases and washing quickly helps, then there is no cause for concern.
It is worth worrying when thick green or yellow pus forms in front of your eyes. Such an inflammatory process in itself will not work.
- Aggressive substances from household chemicals that irritate the mucous membranes,
- Allergens - flowers, perfumery, drugs,
- Viral infections,
- Bacteria, mold fungi, parasites.
Hosts should alert these symptoms in an affected cat:
- she worries, rubs her eyes,
- does not want to eat
- trying to hide in a dark corner
- body temperature rises
- the organ of sight reddened or dimmed
- the hair near the eye has become brown.
You do not need to have a veterinary diploma to notice the suffering of the animal. Itching and pain do not give him peace.
A kitten's eyes festering - what to do?
How to treat eyelids in kittens? If a kitten's eyes fester, then a visit to a specialist is an obligatory measure.
After a thorough examination, on the basis of the results of the tests, the doctor will make a diagnosis and prescribe treatment. The owners can also provide first aid by washing the visual organ.
This procedure is convenient to perform together: one person holds the animal, and the other cleans the eyes. Than rinse eyes kitten from pus:
- Chamomile decoction,
- A solution of boric acid (0.5 tbsp of water + 2 tsp of medicine),
- Furatsilina solution (0.02%).
The liquid must be warm, never hot. Taking a little cotton wool, it is twisted with a cord. Dip into the composition and squeeze the medicine on the festering cat's eye. The procedure is repeated until all the pus is removed. Cotton swabs should change frequently.
The best option is if one harness is not used more than once. Habitual and comfortable cotton buds for such a case will not work: they do not absorb enough liquid. Do not touch dry mucous membranes of the eyelids and eyeball with dry cotton. Careless actions further injure the damaged organ.
By removing the secretions, Tetracycline eye ointment (1%) is applied under the eyelids:
- Lower eyelid pet carefully delayed,
- Apply a special device,
- Close the eyes and lightly disperse the substance as in a massage.
You should not use cold ointment. Hands warmed healing composition will fall on the mucous evenly.
What drugs are recommended by veterinarians?
Finding out why the cat's eye festers, the specialist prescribes the appropriate treatment. Professional recommendations:
- A solution of hydrocortisone and novocaine helps with puffiness,
- In case of acute illness, antibiotics are prescribed as injections,
- If the cause of the disease is a bruise or a foreign body, then after cleansing the eye, Levometicin or Iris drops are used.
- Locally applied Bars, Albucidus, Misofen, Neoconjunctivitis,
- Solutions for organ washing - Lacrymine, Medkinos.
Cat health problems can be prevented. Enriched with vitamins nutrition, timely vaccination and deworming, hygiene will provide a clear view of a fluffy family member.
Pathology of the eyes of a cat or kitten
Today, a lot of people ask the question of eye suppuration in pets, including cats, or the occurrence of other similar symptoms.
It is necessary to understand that quite often the conjunctival cavity releases purulent or mucous exudate in case of any inflammatory disease of the eyes of the animal. In this regard, it is necessary to determine the exact cause of the appearance of mucous secretions and suppuration of the eyes in cats, which is almost impossible to do on your own. Therefore, you should contact a specialist.
Cats may have many causes of eyelid suppression, however, this is mainly due to pathogenic microorganisms.
Purulent discharge from the eyes of an animal can occur due to the fact that the conjunctival cavity is supersaturated with pathogenic microorganisms.
The waste products excreted by microbes (toxins) lead to the expansion of the pores of the walls of each blood vessel, resulting in the release of immune blood cells and the liquid part (leukocytes and plasma) through the eye, and the formation of mucous or purulent exudate occurs.
Injury to the pet's eyes is fraught with a share of deceit, because if an infection gets into the eyes, it will not be able to immediately reveal it, but it will begin to manifest itself after a week or even a month.
Virtually any such untreated infection can lead to the fact that intraocular inflammation will develop, and because of this, in turn, vision may be lost or an eye may be lost.
In this regard, for eye injuries, even if they do not seem to be serious at first glance, a veterinary ophthalmologist should be consulted.
Causes of eyelids in cats and kittens
The festering of the eyes in cats can be caused by various reasons, including due to eye injury when playing or fighting with other cats before the infection has been recorded. If a domestic cat has undergone the disease, then this could well be due to alkali or some detergent getting into the eye, an ordinary draft and another can also be the cause.
When the eyes of the kittens are festering, any of the above can also be the cause. It is necessary to take into account that eye suppuration in an animal may begin due to conjunctivitis. Often a small amount of pus is collected in the corners of the animal's eyes after a long sleep.
This usually happens with a mild cold and quite often passes by itself, and the animal does not feel any discomfort. The most susceptible to the formation of small discharges after sleep are rocks with flattened faces. With constant and abundant discharge of pus from the eyes of kittens or adult cats, you should immediately visit the veterinarian.
An experienced specialist is fully able to determine the cause of eye festering in cats or kittens, and the doctor will be able to prescribe a course of the most effective treatment.
In the absence of the possibility of visiting a specialist, you can try to help the cat yourself. If the discharge from the eyes is not purulent, and the pet behaves as usual, you can simply restrict yourself to regular hygienic procedures.
With increased excretion should be worried, as this means the animal suffers from allergies, conjunctivitis, keratitis or other disease.
Features of treatment and care
The most correct solution for the beginning of the discharge from the cat's eyes is a visit to the veterinarian, who must conduct a clinical study (usually it comes down to microanalysis of the flush with conjunctiva) and accurately determine the cause.
With a noticeable reddening of the cat's eyes or a sudden formation of discharge, it becomes necessary to provide the animal with first aid. To do this, you should gently wash your pet's eyes with a twisted tight cotton cord (use of cotton swabs in this case is impossible).
This tourniquet is wetted in solution, and then pressed directly onto the eye. When the eyelids are stuck together, it is necessary to wet their surface. The repetition of these manipulations must be performed until the eyelids and eyeballs of the animal are completely cleansed. Using a cotton swab, remove any foreign objects from the cat's eye.
For the procedure of washing the eyes, it is better to call an assistant, as you have to hold the animal tightly.
Washing the cat's eyes should be done with a special solution for which antibacterial agents can be used: furatsilin 0.02%, boric acid (two teaspoons per half cup of water), chamomile decoction and so on. After the cat's eyes have been washed, a one percent tetracycline eye ointment should be applied under the eyelids.
When caring for a cat, do not touch the eyeballs and eyelids of the animal with dry tampons, as this may cause injury. Changing tampons during washing should be the most frequent. Use of the solution is permissible only in the form of heat.
Instilling eye drops should be done from above, holding the pipette a couple centimeters from the cat's eyes. Before using the ointment it is necessary to heat it, this will allow it to be distributed most evenly.
Eye rinsing can be performed not only during treatment, but also in prophylactic agents.
It is necessary to remember that the cure of the inflammatory process on your own is impossible, so you should not start the situation, but it is better to consult a veterinarian immediately.
How to act in case of ailment?
Sometimes domestic cats accumulate pus in the eyes. Of course, this problem can not but cause the owner to worry.
The most common cause of purulent eyes are inflammatory processes that occur in the eyeball or conjunctiva.
Eye suppuration - inflammation
If this inflammatory process is not cured in time, then discharge from the eyes of a purulent nature results. Only an experienced specialist can understand the exact cause of this disease.
The reasons why a cat starts to fester eyes
There are quite a number of reasons as a result of which a cat's eyes begin to fester.
The main reason for the formation of pus in the eyes are non-treated conjunctivitis, when the owners treat the pet inappropriately or do not conduct the full course of treatment prescribed by the doctor.
In this case, acute conjunctivitis becomes purulent, follicular, or parenchymal. The signs of these forms of conjunctivitis are purulent discharge.
In addition, the appearance of purulent discharge may be associated with getting a cat injury, for example, with a bruised eyelid. Cats are injured during fights, stumble upon sharp objects during the game and the like. If the eyelid is severely injured, the inflammatory process can go to the eyeball, as a result of which pus is formed. Most often with trauma century conjunctiva is damaged.
Sometimes conjunctivitis becomes chronic.
Conjunctivitis is the most common cause of eye pus.
At the first signs of suppuration, consult a doctor.
Healthy eyes - healthy cat
Причиной повреждения глаза может стать попадание в него инородного тела, которое раздражает слизистую оболочку глаза, вследствие чего возникает воспаление. Опасность подобного рода повреждений состоит в том, что инородное тело может повредить роговицу или склеру, это открывает ворота проникновения в глаза гноеродной инфекции.
As a result of traumatic, temperature and chemical effects on the eyelid, the cat may have blephoritis. Damage to the eye contributes to the penetration of viruses, germs and pathogenic fungi that cause infection.
Another eye disease in cats that causes pus formation in the eyes is keratitis or inflammation of the cornea.
The intensity and nature of purulent discharge from the cat's eyes depends on the cause of their occurrence. There are certain signs peculiar to festering eyes, which should alert the cat owner and make him take his pet to a veterinary clinic:
- When bruising the eyelids, there are bruises, and adjacent tissue may be affected. In some cases, necrosis is formed. The animal has a hot-to-touch swelling in the eye area, which, when touched, causes the cat to feel pain,
- When wounds of the eyelids appear bleeding, gaping and violation of the holistic tissue cover. All these symptoms are accompanied by sharp pain,
- When purulent conjunctivitis pus is formed, as a rule, in both eyes. This disease causes fever in the cat, pain and depression. At the initial stage, the pus is liquid, and then it thickens. Sometimes the conjunctiva swells so much that it protrudes beyond the limits of the eye,
- When follicular conjunctivitis affects the lymph nodes on the inner surface of the eyelid. As a result, pus is secreted from the conjunctival sac. The cat's eyelids are swollen, the eyes hurt, and there is photophobia,
- When blephoritis occurs redness of the eyelids, accompanied by itching. As the cat's eyes itch, it combs them, and as a result, the situation worsens even more. Streptococci and staphylococcus enter the eye. When blephoritis can swell the eyelids.
When purulent discharge in the cat eyelashes stick together, as a result they fall out, forming a crust interferes with the opening of the eyes. Purulent discharge causes inflammation of the skin around the eyes, hairs fall out, dermatitis and eczema are formed.
When suppuration, rinse eyes with infusions of herbs.
Eyelid suppuration may cause discomfort for the cat.
The veterinarian diagnoses cats on the basis of an external examination, clinical symptoms, collection and examination of tests. In no case do not try to determine the cause of the pathology yourself, all the more it is not recommended to treat the pet on your own, since complications can be very serious.
The doctor sends a sample of purulent discharge to the laboratory, where the type of infection and the sensitivity to antibiotic treatment are determined.
Treatment of purulent eyes in a cat
Therapy begins primarily with the elimination of the cause, which provoked the pathological process. The success of treatment will directly depend on this.
If the disease state was provoked by injury, then the damaged area is cleaned with cotton wool dipped in 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. This procedure should be carried out with caution so as not to damage the conjunctiva even more. After treatment, the eyes are washed with potassium permanganate, and at the final stage liquid antibiotics are dripped. If the eyelid is injured, then a similar treatment is performed.
It is important to know the cause of the pus eyes.
If the cat's condition is depressed, consult an ophthalmologist.
When bleuphorus is necessary to identify and immediately eliminate the cause. The cat must be kept in a clean room that needs to be aired. Particular attention should be paid to nutrition, since blephoritis provoke vitamin deficiencies.
If the eye sticks together and crusts form, they are softened with vaseline oil and then removed with cotton wool dipped in 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. Then you need to wash the eye with furatsilinom and drip eye drops, eye ointment will also work.
If the cat has severe pain, the doctor calls 0.5% novocaine with an antibiotic into the conjunctival sac. If the pathological process has affected the deep layers of the eye, general antibiotic therapy is applied.
If phlegmonous or purulent conjunctivitis has developed, local treatment will be performed. At this time, the cat should be washed with a 3% aqueous solution of boric acid several times a day.
After this, an eye ointment with antibiotics is put, for example, 5-10% syntomycin emulsion. Anesthesia with Novocainic blockade with an antibiotic is often required, which not only relieves the pain symptom, but also has a healing effect.
Inside give sulfa drugs and inject intramuscularly antibiotics.
There are many reasons why a cat's eyes fester. Consider the most common of them:
- The most common disease is conjunctivitis. He is very quickly treated, however, in no case should this process be delayed, because transparent mucous discharges quickly turn into purulent ones.
- Injured mucosa can cause suppuration, as a rule, small wounds heal on their own. Large wounds caused by branches, claws must be treated.
- Blepharitis is an eye disease that can occur both due to injuries and burns from chemicals.
- Keratitis is an inflammation of the cornea that causes tears and suppuration of the eyes.
- A kitten can fester eyes due to poor health and reduced immunity.
- Due to insufficiently balanced feed.
- The kitten has eye problems as a result of a dirty nest.
- Drafts and hypothermia kitten can cause purulent discharge from the eyes.
- Chlamydia begins with the eyes watering and festering, then the cornea and mucous membrane become inflamed.
- An allergic reaction causes puffiness, suppuration, the eyes of the animal watering.
- Atopic dermatitis is, as a rule, a seasonal disease with an allergic nature.
- Heredity. In cats with ancestors with eye diseases, the likelihood of developing these diseases increases by 50%.
- Congenital abnormalities, for example, a pathologically located hair bulb, a defect in the lacrimal sac or a complete absence of the lacrimal opening, an overly tight lower eyelid or turned in the inner side, eyelashes growing in several rows. At this time, the cat first has watery eyes, then pus is released. These problems are usually solved by surgery.
When the owner detects the following symptoms, he must be alerted in order to determine the cause and start treatment in a timely manner:
- The animal rubs his eyes, it becomes aggressive and restless.
- Lack of appetite, refusal to eat.
- Fear of light can be identified by such signs as the preference for a dark corner, while the cat is in the light, it tries to close its eyes.
- Increased temperature.
- Eyes redden, watery, pus is released.
- Wool, located about a century, has a brown tint.
If the kitten's eyes are festering, you should contact your veterinarian for help. Treatment depends on the cause of this condition. Having found out the reason, the veterinarian prescribes the necessary treatment, which includes:
- If the pet has edema, then Novocain and hydrocortisone solution are used for this purpose.
- If the cat has a strong pain syndrome, then he is given a Novocain blockade, which includes an antibiotic. Thus, it is possible not only to reduce the pain in the animal, but also to remove the inflammatory process.
- When the disease acquires an acute form, the pet feels pain, then prescribe a course of antibiotic therapy, which is desirable to do injections.
- When the cause was a bruise or hit of a foreign body, then the pet needs to use a drop of Iris or Levomycetin.
- Drops Albucidus, Leopard, Neoconjunctivitis help treat the condition when the eyes are watering.
- Medkinos and lacrymine are used for rinsing eyes.
In the presence of purulent discharge from the eyes, it is necessary to consult a veterinarian, self-treatment can lead to loss of vision.
First aid host
Of course, when there is suppuration in a cat, consultation of a veterinarian is necessary. Only after the examination, the veterinarian can make an accurate diagnosis and prescribe the appropriate treatment. However, the first aid, carried out at home, should be able to provide and the owner. First of all, washings are necessary.
What can wash eyes?
- Decoction of chamomile flowers.
- Boric acid solution (2 teaspoons of the drug per half liter of warm boiled water).
- 0.02% solution furatsilina.
Washing is best done by two people, one person must hold the animal, and the other carry out the procedure, it is necessary not to damage the pet's eyes.
How to carry out washing?
The main rule: the solution should be warm, you can not use hot, so that the animal does not get burned. A cotton disc, previously twisted with a cord, is dipped into a medicine, which is then squeezed onto the cat's diseased organ. Doing the washing is necessary until all the pus is removed. After each washing, the cotton discs should change, it is best that the harness is disposable.
Do not use dry cotton, as it can injure the eye even more. It is not necessary to replace the cotton pad with cotton buds. Of course, they are more convenient to use, but the sticks are gaining a small amount of solution. After you have finished doing the washing, for the eyelid you need to put 1% tetracycline ointment.
How to properly ointment come to life?
Before you apply the ointment, it is necessary to warm it in your hands, you do not need to make investments with cold composition:
- One person holds the cat tightly, lying on its side.
- Another, meanwhile, carefully delays the lower eyelid of the animal.
- Apply a special spatula ointment on the lower eyelid.
- Then it is necessary to close the eye and distribute the ointment with light massaging movements.
How to carry out the procedure?
- The cat must be laid on its side, and in such a way that the eyeball is directed upwards.
- In order to introduce drops, you need to firmly hold the pet so that it does not get injured.
- Drip the drug, after which the cat will blink hard, and the medicine will be distributed in the eyeball.
- After that, blot a napkin.